Amnesty International Report for 2005

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Amnesty International Report for 2005

Hi All,

I was looking at Amnesty International report for 2005 and was rather surprised at how much USA features.

I expected to see certain African, Middle Eastern, ex Eastern Bloc, South American countries in the report, but not that USA would feature so promenantly.

For a country that has often in recent events tried to take the moral high ground ..... this report seems to chop the legs out from such a stance.

http://web.amnesty.org/report2005/usa-summary-eng

What do people think of Amnesty International and its report. Do you think they it is fair and unbias ?

Regards
Syxx
 
I think the Neo-Cons will laugh this off and declare it bogus nonsense. Since when has the right wing in the US cared about the lives of anyone other than it's own citizens?
 

kberger

Diabloii.Net Member
Amnesty's William Schultz called Guantanamo the "gulag of our time." Stalin's gulags were death camps for POWs who were sent there. Terrorists are being detained at Guantanamo, who may be getting some rough treatment but the analogy to a gulag is ridiculous. I laugh and declare Amnesty's report bogus nonsense.
 

Freemason

Banned
Amnesty International has a long history of anti-americanism. Why should anybody be suprised they say we're the rottenest of the rotten while they give a pass to the scum of the Earth?
 

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
Amnesty International has a long history of anti-americanism. Why should anybody be suprised they say we're the rottenest of the rotten while they give a pass to the scum of the Earth?
This still isn't a refutation of the claims that Amnesty is making. Disagree with them as you might, and I surely do on some issues, this is not something that you can dismiss with a wave of the hand because it's from a source you dislike.
 

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
Amnesty International has a long history of anti-americanism. Why should anybody be suprised they say we're the rottenest of the rotten while they give a pass to the scum of the Earth?
Smeg, you forgot your citation...
http://www.discoverthenetwork.com/groupProfile.asp?grpid=6185

Amnesty used to have a slightly better track record, but that was some time ago (like Greenpeace & the Cousteau Society). Like many other groups, it is far safer to stick fingers in the eyes of countries that won't chop their fingers off for trying.
 

Steve_Kow

Banned
DrunkCajun said:
Since when has the right wing in the US cared about the lives of anyone other than it's own citizens?
I can certainly understand the government caring nearly exclusively for its own citizens. Idealism aside, that's what you and I pay our taxes for--to have somebody in our corner looking out for us. This isn't a notion that is unique to America either, I don't think that the "compassion" of Britains socialized NHS would apply to me. I imagine they'd tell me to "bugger off" as soon as they heard my accent.
 

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Croup said:
This still isn't a refutation of the claims that Amnesty is making. Disagree with them as you might, and I surely do on some issues, this is not something that you can dismiss with a wave of the hand because it's from a source you dislike.
sure we can.


hmm, I don't like amnesty international.
*waves hand*
*decides not to care*
*yawns*
*grabs beer from fridge*
*turns on desperate housewives*

mmm, that pregnant chic is hot.

*drools*

see, there. just like that.
 

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member
Stevinator said:
sure we can.


hmm, I don't like amnesty international.
*waves hand*
*decides not to care*
*yawns*
*grabs beer from fridge*
*turns on desperate housewives*

mmm, that pregnant chic is hot.

*drools*

see, there. just like that.
Man, if you're going to make your point, at least don't choose the chick that's preggers.

Joking aside (for now), I agree that it is within our capacity to simply ignore this report. And jmervyn, I take the point that you're making with that article. Amnesty went off the deep end a while ago when it comes to their analysis. To AI, America is the cause of all the world's problems and is itself the biggest and most vile human rights offender. And I completely disagree with that.

However, that does not mean that their raw data is incorrect. Again, just because you dislike Amnesty and their agenda, that does not mean that you should simply ignore the information that they provide. Strangely enough, all of their diatribe has to come from somewhere, and if it's documented evidence like in much of their report, it's definitely something that matters.

At least meet me halfway here people.
 

Cerberus

Diabloii.Net Member
My first thought is what reason AI have for being biased in this report. Its not like they're a likely target for terrorist actions or anything and they do have a history of pointing out human rights violations in middle-eastern, africa and so on.

I would like really like to hear a defintion of anti-americanism, if AI is guilty of it.
 

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member
Cerberus said:
My first thought is what reason AI have for being biased in this report. Its not like they're a likely target for terrorist actions or anything and they do have a history of pointing out human rights violations in middle-eastern, africa and so on.

I would like really like to hear a defintion of anti-americanism, if AI is guilty of it.
To be fair, AI has a tendency to be overly harsh in its criticism of Western powers, especially the United States. This is not to say that they are unfounded, just that they go at least a touch overboard in their attempts to point out the US's follies.

As for their reasoning, it can be any number of things. Overexaggeration so that people might "wake up" and see what's going on, drawing attention to abuses, anti-Bush administration, anti-military, etc. There are any number of reasons that are available to them in order to justify their sensationalism.

But, as I said before, that still does not excuse people from looking at the raw data that AI provides. And there is PLENTY to go around in that category.
 

Cerberus

Diabloii.Net Member
Croup said:
To be fair, AI has a tendency to be overly harsh in its criticism of Western powers, especially the United States. This is not to say that they are unfounded, just that they go at least a touch overboard in their attempts to point out the US's follies.

As for their reasoning, it can be any number of things. Overexaggeration so that people might "wake up" and see what's going on, drawing attention to abuses, anti-Bush administration, anti-military, etc. There are any number of reasons that are available to them in order to justify their sensationalism.

But, as I said before, that still does not excuse people from looking at the raw data that AI provides. And there is PLENTY to go around in that category.
Wow!
No comment necessary. Answered all my questions (or what I was drawing the attention to)!
I'll see what gets posted, and see if I can come up what something in the "plenty to go around category ;)
 

Machina

Diabloii.Net Member
Steve_Kow said:
This isn't a notion that is unique to America either, I don't think that the "compassion" of Britains socialized NHS would apply to me. I imagine they'd tell me to "bugger off" as soon as they heard my accent.
Generally the NHS is free at the point of use, any and all get treated (including foreigners), if you can stand the long wait for a second rate service like everyone else that is...

There are certain treatments that almost everyone has to pay for though.
 

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Croup said:
And jmervyn, I take the point that you're making with that article. Amnesty went off the deep end a while ago when it comes to their analysis. To AI, America is the cause of all the world's problems and is itself the biggest and most vile human rights offender. And I completely disagree with that.
I'll definitely meet you halfway on that one. The fact that Abu Graib & so on could and should have been handled better, I doubt anyone (even Smeg) would deny. Of course, 'handled better' might mean 'handled more quietly' to some... :)

And no, in case one of the usual suspects tries to throw mud, I'm not wishing it was handled more quietly. However, we should have never given the dirtbags in Gitmo the Quran's in the first place; it was just asking for trouble. It isn't like a large number of them know how to read in the first place.

And for those same ususal suspects who will now accuse me of making anti-Islamic slurs, didya know that the Soviets disguised some of their toy/bombs as fountain pens, since ownership of a pen in Afghanistan was viewed as a mark of prestige? The concept of literacy... and people wonder why these mullahs wield so much power.
 

DrunkPotHead

Diabloii.Net Member
Freemason said:
Amnesty International has a long history of anti-americanism. Why should anybody be suprised they say we're the rottenest of the rotten while they give a pass to the scum of the Earth?
You should watch Jon Stuart's Daily show sometime. Two days ago, they had a clip of the administration dismissing the report as bogus. Then right after, they had a clip of 2003 in which Rumsfeld used some report of Amnesty International's report for some kind of justification for something (i forgot what). Nice of him to be hypocritical and cherry-pick his data.
 

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Amnesty International is hardly a credible source. Just ask our president, vice president, and just about anyone else concerned.
 

Darnoc

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkPotHead said:
You should watch Jon Stuart's Daily show sometime. Two days ago, they had a clip of the administration dismissing the report as bogus. Then right after, they had a clip of 2003 in which Rumsfeld used some report of Amnesty International's report for some kind of justification for something (i forgot what). Nice of him to be hypocritical and cherry-pick his data.
All politicians do that crap; they use what data and sources help them at the time regardless of their party affiliation. Plus, you say adiministration, was it specifically rummy who denounced it as bogus?

As to the topic at hand regarding Amnesty, maybe they are just reporting the information given to them; it doesnt mean that the data given to them is correct though:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/060305B.html

I thought the terrorist handbook quotes were quite revealing of the stuation at hand and how terrorists are undermining the war in many ingenious ways.
 
Top