Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Amlpify damage and phys immunes

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by xyzthorakzyx, Jun 3, 2005.

1. xyzthorakzyx

xyzthorakzyx IncGamers Member

Amlpify damage and phys immunes

I was thinking about making a pure summonmancer relying solely on meelee damage, but I might get troubles if there are any monsters that can't be broken by amplify damage. Does any monster like that exist?

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Yes, some physical immunes cannot be broken --- I call those "hard PI".

There are a few solutions. Bone/summon hybrids naturally have no problems with hard PIs, since hard PI/magic immune combos are very rare (if they exist at all, never bothered to look into this).

A pure Skelemancer can have mages as well, supplying elemental damage. The hard PI might also be damaged by previous corpse explosions (unless he's fire immune, of course. Lower Resist won't help much in that case, even if it breaks the immunity).

My own pure Skelemancer also uses full Trangs as another, very effective source of fire damage --- which only works vs. PIs that aren't fire immune, of course.

You can always choose to ignore monsters you can't kill, although it could be difficult to disengage your skellies. TP back to town might help, but you'll also need to be far enough away from the monster so it doesn't just follow you... could be a good way to spend those bone prison charges from the boots :)

I'm assuming the hard PI is a champion/boss, so the AI curses won't work. You can cast Attract on him (I think), but I doubt the other monsters can kill him before your skellies kill them.

Using a weapon with a lot of elemental/magic damage most likely is not an option due to requirements and AR issues...

EDIT: with mages and trangs I've never had any real problems with hard PIs. The reason why not every monster is hunting me is because none of them ever survived to tell the story... just piles of corpses and no clues.

3. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Corpse explode is the most ideal way to deal with most Hard P Immunes if you have a large pile of bodies convenient. Just hit them with Lower Resist to enhance the fire portion of the CE since the physical won't be doing anything at all.

4. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

Physical immune and Magic immune: The only monster I've seen with these two mods is a possessed Horadrim Ancient i.e. RUN!:lol:

Attract only works on normal monsters, uniques and champions cannot be cursed with attract

If you don't have bodies around to blow up, then the unbreakable immune monsters will have to be parked. Personally I've never met a regular set of monsters that were impossible to break with Amplify damage, besides the above example are there any others?

5. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Possessed physical immunes are unbreakable because they can't be cursed. I think Stone Skin PIs are either impossible to break or you break them just barely making them take forever to kill. It probably depends on the degree of physical immunity. Between corpse explode, mages, and amp damage though, you have plenty of options for getting by immunes. Skellie-based builds have fewer immunity problems than most builds in the game outside of Hammerdins, because they can almost always find a way to make things dead.

Magic immune only counts for the pure magic attacks like bone spells so that's really more of a pain for bone/skellie hybrid, but even he should be able to get by either cursing it away or finding a pile of bodies somewhere.

6. xyzthorakzyx

xyzthorakzyx IncGamers Member

Hmm, skeleton mages you say, that leads me to another question. The times I tried the mages they always seemed very fragile and didn't do much damage. Are they really any useful at all? Is it maybe because I didn't have enough +skill gear to make them useful?

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Mages can be useful. In order for them to do significant damage you'll need to max them, use LR and Infinity. If you use Amp for your Skellies and don't use Infinity they'll add a decent amount of damage. Not as much as the Skellies, but enough to be noticeable. They'll also provide an additional meatshield.