Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

American buys majority share of Manchester United

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AeroJonesy, May 13, 2005.

1. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

American buys majority share of Manchester United

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/soccer/05/12/bc.soc.manunited.glazer.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

So what do you guys think? I know we've got some soccer hooligans here. I'm a little hesitant on this, just as I would be if some Brits wanted to buy a baseball team. But I suppose we'll see where this goes.

2. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

I'm hopeful. This could be the spark needed to learn how to do soccer over across the ocean. MLS never really took off here, probably because no one knows what makes a great team. I personally love soccer and would love to see more games stateside.

Let's just hope the owner of the Bucs doesn't win a championship and then lose his whole team like he did with the Tampa Bay team a few years ago.

3. AeroJonesy

I don't really see it helping US soccer at all, other than telling Europe some Americans are willing to put the big bucks into it.

4. Echod16

Echod16 IncGamers Member

looks like an example of how public teams (with shares) can be bought and used to churn out money instead of memories

and going to a Manchester United game (or any major European soccergame) was one of my "things to do in life" : /

5. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I think it's funny that people are so concerned about it. Didn't some Russian gajillionaire just buy Chelsea into a title? Hell, he makes them listen to Cossak music before every game. Imagine the outrage if the Yank made em play Bruce Springstein before every match. They'd declare war!

6. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

ManU

You're right DC; much ado about nothing.

But really; Abramovic didn't influence Chelsea that much, except for the 200 milion or so he spent on new players (which helped them out quite a bit!).

That Glazer guys will probably just expand merchandising and try to get more money for the ManU television-rights and stuff. I don't think he'll start telling Ferguson how to run the team.

Don't think a little Springsteen ever hurt anyone though.......

David.

EDIT: Glazer's ownership won't do anything to help US soccer, IMO.

7. TheJarulf

TheJarulf Banned

Funny how someone includes the the copyright statement, yet fail to understand its meaning, thus commiting copyright infringement.

8. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

there is so much comotion about it, because Glazer isn't interested in soccer at all. When he started investing in Man U he did it for the money, unlike abramovich who comes to watch every game and is a big fan. Many fans are concerned that all the merchandise prices will go up, and the tickets will become more expensive, and he won't invest much in the team like abromovich did.

gotta love abramovich :):)

9. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

I think the difference between Abramovich and Glazer, is that Abramovich basically had enough loose change to plough all the money in himself (might be wrong, please correct if you know better), where as its believed Glazer had to secure a loan to complete the take over (believed to be £790 million/$1.47 billion), effectively putting a £300 million ($556 million) debt against the Man Utd name. (All sorts of hostile take over law type stuff I missed out, I'm sure any decent report on it will fill in the gaps...)

Personally I don't think its going to work. The fans are already up in arms (they already had a burning effigy outside old trafford :D ), his going to royally screw the rest of the premiership if he starts selling tv rights on an individual basis, and its a totally different sports world over here.

Still, it'll be interesting to see...

10. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Abramovic vs. Glazer

It's true that Abramovic is both richer and more interested in soccer than Glazer, who is clearly all about the money.

I'm sure Chelsea-fans love Abramovic because he won them a championship; but soccer-fans in general (IMO) dislike the way a mediocre team suddenly dominated the Premier League this year. (Moreover they don't like Mourinho, but that's a totally different subject.)

We'll see what Glazer will do in terms of ticket-prices, TV-licensing and merchandising. I just don't think it'll become any cheaper!

David.

11. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I would like some changes to Manchester United games from now on.

1 - hotdogs
    2 - cheerleaders
    3 - players wearing pads
    4 - amendment to the rules to allow the use of forward passing by hand
    5 - change the name to Tampa-Manchester United States Patiots

12. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

:lol: 10 chars

13. AeroJonesy

Have no fear, I fully understood the irony when I purposefully copied that part, and then purposefuly added in the link to the Associated Press. I figure I'm going to post the article anyway, I might as well include the legal stuff so if anyone rips it from here, at least they know what they are getting into.

And to me it seems better than taking the article without including any of the copyright information.

14. TheJarulf

TheJarulf Banned

From a copyright infringement point of view? Hardly!

Or are you sugesting that it is OK as long as one include copyright notices and source? I mean, can I start posting music and perhaps the Diablo game at different forums as long as I include Blizzard's copyright notice and a link to Blizzard's page were one get the game? Of coruse one can't.

15. Namyeknom

Aero, it appears your humourous talents are saddly overlooked by some...

16. TheJarulf

TheJarulf Banned

I have on the other hand never claimed to have any sense of humor! :)

17. Namyeknom

:D

10 char...