Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

America, nation of fear

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SirKnightmare, Feb 25, 2004.

1. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

America, nation of fear

So yeh, I caught Bowling for Columbine on HBO and I saw how right Michael Moore was about the media keeping Americans in a constant state of fear.

I started payed attention to what the news was reporting. All they talk about is murder, robbery, and r*pe and I love how you get tips how to avoid these things like don't be out past this hour. They make you so damn paranoid and we can't forget about the master of this, Dubya.

With his stupid terror warning levels that really just screw with peoples heads. I honestly can't believe he has people buying gas masks, it's really sad.

2. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Well, I'd be sure and a few extras, so in case America is ever chemically attacked, you can use one of mine. I'm not in a constant state of fear, mainly because I can't stand sitting in front of the TV unless I know the show is good (like Family Guy, or some movies). I would hardly call his terror warning levels stupid, but whatever. :)

3. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Everyone knows news is entertainment.

The formula for a good news story:

1. scare the public
    2. try come up with a solution

(note, the second step is not necessary)

4. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

Do you honestly think you are safe without a gas mask? Crazy man...

5. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Michael Moore is a dumbass. Bowling for columbine was a satire: comedy. He doctored the interviews and made things up.

6. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Oddly enough, that wasn't the point of the thread. Reread what he said.

7. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

Heh, prove it. Should be easy enough on the interne, hard thing is that you can change the bs that is on the news every night.

8. caddad

caddad IncGamers Member

Change 'fear' to 'beer' and you've got me covered. I'm all about the beer.

Do you realize that you can watch the news and not be paranoid? Some of us aren't paranoid. At least not overly-paranoid.

-DadV2.0

In response to the "prove it" about michael moore being a dumbass. I need no proof to call someone a dumbass. :) I would however need proof if I started calling any amount of americans a nation of fear. :) Think about it.

9. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I don't believe America is a nation of fear; not by a long shot. I don't believe the media is out to make us that way, either; what they're doing is being out to make a buck, and sensationalism sells. Period.
    Most rational Americans view the news the same way I do, intelligently and with a grain of salt thrown in. I have yet to see an American (or anyone at all, for that matter) read the news and run out screaming for gas masks. Nobody I know is quaking with fear unless they are paranoid to begin with.

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

How can we be a nation of fear when an exposed breast garners national attention for a week and causes Congress to be even more uptight than usual? If we were really afraid, a boob would go unnoticed.

I'm not going to be afraid because Texas Souffle, the fat guy, or one of the talking heads says I should be. Critical thinking and common sense, two great tastes that taste great together.

11. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

It's a basic formula; negative news sells. No one wants to hear about a fireman getting a cat out of a tree; they want to hear about car wrecks, and robberies, and stuff like that. Sad but true.

12. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

oddly enough i've yet to see ANYONE wearing/buying a gas mask cause of what the news says. And i've yet to talk to anyone that is honestly afraid because of the terror level things... i really dont' think we're a nation of fear.

13. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

it's not just fear...it's conflict, it's crisis it's anyone who's arguing, insulting or otherwise disagreeing with someone else. America's media likes to have villians and heros and they like to emphasize the things that people like ot watch. the news media wants to "dawson's creek" or "general hospital" what's going on in the world. If they didn't do that, no one would watch their 24 hour news programs. that's why weather man always find some dumb record that has been broken. (coldest day of the year! on januray 12th). Fear is just one of the many emotions that the media plays on. But does this matter? If you don't like it, don't watch it...eventually they will scare off enough people that their ratings will go down and someone else will take their place. I stay up to date via reading a few news websites every morning....if I see anything that bugs me, I'll just check that site less and less. I'm finding that instead of reading the sneaky mainstream press, I can get the same types of news from news organizations that admit they spin things...then i just read the version from the left adn the version from the right. keeps me well rounded. and i know that I'm looking at what i'm reading with a critical eye. if I'm reading something on drudge, I know it's being spun ot the right...if i read it on CNN I don't know if they're spinning it or not.

14. mudvaynefan

mudvaynefan IncGamers Member

i liked that movie for marilyn manson

he is teh rokcs

15. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

A lot of people do take the news seriously, unfortunately. The people in command who decide that because of elevated terror alerts, a single coast guard jet can't be spared to airlift some turtles to Florida (causing half of the turtles to die while extra planes were found). The people who do buy all the duct tape and plastic sheeting. There WAS a run on gas masks and cipro (anti-anthrax drug) when some of the terror news came out.

At a certain point, though, you turn out the noise and just use common sense.

16. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

I would argue that, despite what most people say (many of which have already posted here), they are afraid. I dont really watch the news that often, but when I do it is full of murder this, death penalty that, gas masks hit me over the head with a whiffleball bat. But I dont think anyone can truthfully say that it doesnt scare them on some level, that their actions in the outside world arent somewhat inhibited by fear of violent consequences. You hear or read about certain areas of danger so you walk a little faster when you are there, even though you heard about a single incident. Or you avoid a certain ethnic group or race because the news had a few, say, african americans listed as wanted for murder. We are desensitized to it, but some of it seeps through.

17. Satans_Advocate

Satans_Advocate IncGamers Member

you forgot the part where they try to fix the problem by directing the blame away from the force that is responsible for the whole thing in the first place ( i. e. lack of gun control laws for murder, marilyn manson and video games for colubine. )

18. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

When I move out of the country and have a kid and he asks me what the USA was like Im going to say it wasnt anything special.

19. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

hold on...time out...i don't mean to hijack, but why is the national guard transporting a bunch of turtles? shouldn't they be guarding something? i don't like the idea of my tax dollars going to support turtles in florida. if someone in floorida cares let them transport them. that is not the government's job.

20. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

The turtles are endangered, meaning the government is already protecting them, and thus spending your tax dollars (btw, aren't you in HS? What taxes do you pay?). The Coast Guard (not the national guard) has, in the past, lent its support for turtle transport, but couldn't this year because of national security concerns. The turtles get lost and end up in MA, where they get very cold and potentially freeze to death. Therefore, scientists up here rescue the turtles, warm them up, and send them back to Florida for release. Edit: here's a link to a story about the Coast Guard's helping out in the past. They want to do this.

If you're truly worried about the government wasting its money, quarrel with the war in Iraq, and not 60 Kemp-Ridley turtles.