America by the numbers..

caddad

Diabloii.Net Member
America by the numbers..

Picked up the new issue of Time magazine because the cover story was the type of information and news I really enjoy.

I looked online and found the article, well part of the article.

Take a look:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1549322,00.html

Be sure to check out the right hand column that links to various charts, graphs, and tables that break it down for ya.

Good info, enlightening and mindblowing at times.

-D2netDad

Lord Nyax

Banned
There are a hell of a lot of Mexicans in the U.S. I always thought that Blacks would still be the second largest minority...

Dang, what's the average education level doing? I'd like to see the % of kids with above a 2000 on the SATs as a function of time. I'm hoping it's not tanking...but seriously, if it is, should the voting system be changed?

I supposed I'm majorly biased, being a white boy myself, but I really don't want to see the U.S. voting population be overrun by Hispanics...reading that over in my mind, I sound so racist and sterotypical...I think I'll just shut up now.

Above 2000? What SATs are you taking?

-edit-

Nevermind, my age is showing. :undecided:

And that doesn't prove anything. I got a 970 when it was out of 1600, and that doesn't mean that I'm uneducated/stupid/retarted.

Lord Nyax

Banned
Above 2000? What SATs are you taking?

-edit-

Nevermind, my age is showing. :undecided:

And that doesn't prove anything. I got a 970 when it was out of 1600, and that doesn't mean that I'm uneducated/stupid/retarted.
Well, the new SATs are...erm...kinda stupid. They changed all the "hard" stuff out because "it wasn't measuring aptitude, but instead education". SATs are supposed to measure Intelligence, not education...so maybe I should switch my test. I just want to get some info on how educated the average kid is nowadays...again, my inherent racist talking here (but c'mon, the stereotype of the Mexican is a dirty, uneducated one...certainly I don't believe that all Hispanics are, but as they say...all myths have a basis in fact...).

I'm not sure how well they measure intelligence. It depends on what you're taught and when you take the test. I wasn't even taught about a third of the stuff on there. I consider myself pretty intelligent, I got around a 140 on my IQ test. Not genius level, but at least I have common sense.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
No test can measure intelligence. Also, my overwhelming impression of education in this country is that it's being dumbed down year by year and degrees are worth less and less. Don't get me started.

I hear something similar is happening in America.

Yossarian

Diabloii.Net Member
SATs are supposed to measure Intelligence, not education
Actually not anymore. They are very careful to not state anything about what the test is testing. It's quite scary really.

No test can measure intelligence.
I don't think that is accurate. I think it better to say that no single test can be used by all people as an intellegence measure.

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
I hear something similar is happening in America.
You are hearing correctly. The education system in America is getting worse by teh miunte.
dondrei said:
I dare you to even define intelligence.
For it two mean anything, it has two be at leest a doubble-dog dare.

Stoutwood

Diabloii.Net Member
I supposed I'm majorly biased, being a white boy myself, but I really don't want to see the U.S. voting population be overrun by Hispanics...reading that over in my mind, I sound so racist and sterotypical...I think I'll just shut up now.
Yeah, 160 years ago no one wanted to see the voting population overrun by the Irish either. Now everyone is Irish and it doesn't matter anymore. I imagine in a few generations no one will care either, especially since Mexicans assimilate just as quickly as the Irish, if not quicker.

Yossarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I dare you to even define intelligence.
This is pretty solid.

The ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations. The skilled use of reason. The ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly.
Let me ask this. Are retarded people exceptionally intellegent? Why not? Generally because they lack the things mentioned above.

adamfgt78

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, 160 years ago no one wanted to see the voting population overrun by the Irish either. Now everyone is Irish and it doesn't matter anymore. I imagine in a few generations no one will care either, especially since Mexicans assimilate just as quickly as the Irish, if not quicker.
Don't forget that our country was also subsequently "ruined" by the Italians and Jewish immigrants.