Automatically parse links in text
Disable smilies in text
Thread Subscription
Notification Type:
Rate Thread
If you like, you can add a score for this thread

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
Not real impressed. I doubt it will offer me any incentive to replace any of my dual xeon servers.

Sokar Rostau said:
I doubt it will entice too many people to give up their G5s either.
Since it can't run OS X, I don't think anyone will.

Plus the OS that does run it has to be able to support 4 processors on a single mobo, 8 if it has hyperthreading. So far that's OS X and A few upper level Linux Servers. Oh and the fact that it wouldn't really help a home user out much unless they are rendering 3d scenes. As far as I know there isn't any software that can multithread a process enough for it to be worth it. Not that any home users really have any processes worthing of splitting between 4 processors.

Games will have little advantage if any at all, day to day computing(internet/word processing/listening to music) won't change.

The only real advantage here is for laptops, if you can get the software to use both procs then you are set for a nice long battery life and a good amount of power.

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
Plus the OS that does run it has to be able to support 4 processors on a single mobo, 8 if it has hyperthreading. So far that's OS X and A few upper level Linux Servers.
Um, FreeBSD???

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
OS X is a variant of FreeBSD, so yeah.
Yeah, they based darwin off of FreeBSD 5. But OS X is not FreeBSD by a long shot.

Edit: And you can run quad processor windows systems if you want to pay for the stupidass processor lisences in windows server. That burns me up.

toader

Banned
1) Its not meant to compete with Mac or run the OSuX

2) Its not meant for home computing, its meant for servers just like almost every other dual processor application.

3) The point of posting it was to show that AMD is beating Intel to the punch for the first time ever with releasing new tech publically.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
Intel had an advantage in terms of multitasking with SMT. But now that dual core processors are on the way, AMD will beat Intel there as well, assuming everything works out. However, for single applications, until they're multithreaded, there won't be significant gains from dual core processors.

axeil

Diabloii.Net Member
Question: Is the Itanium better than the FX-64 series? I've never really seen a comparison.