Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

AMD does it yet again

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Madcat, May 24, 2005.

1. Madcat

Madcat IncGamers Member

AMD does it yet again

AMD has a new DUEL-core cpu coming :clap:

Q: What did AMD announce?

A: AMD is announcing the company’s new brand for desktop dual-core processors, the AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor family. With the AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor, end users will be able to do more in less time while enabling true multi-tasking – taking computing to an all new level. AMD is currently shipping samples of the AMD Athlon X2 processors to leading OEMs worldwide and will be launching in June. The initial model numbers in the new family include the 4200+, 4400+, 4600+ and 4800+.

Q: What is the target market for the AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor?

A: The AMD Athlon X2 processor is targeted towards the prosumer & digital media segments. These processors are designed for sophisticated power users who run multiple processor-intensive applications simultaneously. The AMD Athlon X2 processor is also ideal for digital content creation and entertainment consumption.

Today’s PCs are multi-tasking environments. With the AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors, the ability to multi-task, such as creating digital content while checking and writing e-mails, while downloading audio files such as MP3s or music downloads off the Web, will allow users to do more in less time. Client dual core processors will also deliver superior performance as multi-threaded applications spread from the enterprise server market to the client and consumer markets.

Q: When will AMD have client dual-core processors available?

A: AMD Athlon 64 X2 production-ready processors are now shipping to several leading OEMs and system builders worldwide, with general system availability scheduled for June, 2005. As a customer-centric company, AMD is committed to delivering the right technology to the right markets at the right time. With dual-core technology, AMD is committed to enabling businesses to transition to multi-core technology in the least disruptive way possible. Since many server software applications are multi-threaded, providing a Dual-Core AMD Opteron processor first makes the most sense.

AMD’s leadership with multi-core processors follows the company’s success with 64-bit computing. Both innovations illustrate the strategic focus to solve customer challenges while also providing technology breakthroughs to fuel the possibilities of tomorrow.

Q: What are the prices of the AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors?

A: The AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors 4800+, 4600+ 4400+, and 4200+ will be priced at $1001, $803, $581, and $537 respectively.

Q: Which OEMs will offer AMD client dual-core processors?

A: AMD is working with leading desktop and mobile OEMs. We are not releasing specific information regarding partners at this time.

Q: Will the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor continue to be AMD’s performance leader?

A: We expect that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor will be the world’s best performing processor for multitasking, multi-threaded and digital media applications. The AMD Athlon 64 FX processor will continue to be the best performing processor in the world for single-threaded games.

Q: What types of future end-user capabilities will we see enabled by dual-core technology?

A: General consumers should realize an immediate benefit from AMD multi-core processors with the capability to run multimedia and security applications with increased performance. AMD multi-core processors can deliver advanced multi-tasking capabilities and exceptional multimedia performance as multi-threaded applications spread from the enterprise server market to the client and consumer markets. Examples include:

Background Productivity, such as burning a CD or running firewall software in the background while working from home, banking online, or delivering video in the foreground.
    Digital Content Creation, such as photo editing, video editing or audio mixing.
    Programming
    Commercial convergence applications, such as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) supporting audio, video and data collaboration.

Q: What does AMD foresee as the desktop dual-core benefits to consumers? How do these differ from 64-bit computing benefits?

A: With dual-core processors, AMD expects to see performance increases in multi-tasking environments, as well as multi-threaded applications. AMD multi-core processors are designed to deliver superior multimedia performance as multi-threaded applications spread from the enterprise server market to the client and consumer markets.

For example, as media-centric PCs move into the mainstream, AMD’s innovative multi-core processors can serve as the foundation for the Digital Home. Combined with exciting new applications designed for consumer environments, AMD multi-core processor-based media center PCs will be capable of simultaneously serving different media sources to multiple rooms in the home.

The AMD Athlon 64 processor family allows pervasive adoption of the AMD64 platform for desktop and notebook personal computers. Current models of the processors offer world-class performance on 32-bit applications today. In addition, end users have the ability to seamlessly migrate to 64-bit PC applications in the future. The AMD Athlon 64 processor offers leading-edge performance and, on current applications, outperforms competing PC processors on industry-standard benchmarks.

Q: What are AMD’s plans for dual core in the mobile space?

A: We currently plan to make the desktop core code named “Toledo†available to our mobile customers for high-performance desktop replacement notebooks. We expect to disclose additional information about dual-core mobile solutions at the appropriate time.

Q: Does the desktop dual-core design have two AMD Athlon 64 processors on a single die?

A: Yes. AMD’s design is true dual core - with two CPU cores on one die. AMD’s dual-core processor relies on advanced Direct Connect Architecture to supply each core with the memory and I/O bandwidth needed to maintain high performance per core. AMD’s on-chip integrated memory controller ensures that both cores have optimal access to the integrated memory controller and integrated HyperTransport links, so that performance scales well with the number of cores. Our competitor’s dual-core processor, as illustrated in press coverage, relies on outdated front-side bus architecture to relay both memory and I/O traffic from the cores to the memory controller that resides outside the processor chip.

Q: What do AMD Athlon 64 processor models represent?

A: Since frequency alone is not an accurate measure of performance, AMD model numbers are a simple, accurate representation of relative AMD processor performance based on industry-standard software benchmarks. The higher the model number, the better the overall software performance running on the processor. The “+†at the end of each model number indicates the added performance benefits delivered the innovative AMD64 architecture, such as an integrated memory controller and HyperTransport technology. These two factors alone account for a significant improvement in performance.

2. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

Well I'm off to collect pennies. Will this let me download MP3s faster? :D

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

That's cool. It'll be even cooler once they rewrite Windows and the major consumer apps to take advantage of multiple cores.

4. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Yeah, very cool technology.

Also they're dual cores.

5. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

This will definitely make me type in my MS Word faster. It would help me think faster too.

It says the second core can help you check email faster. Wow.... if only they can speed up my Alt+Tab skill to switch to Outlook so I can check emails faster by .000001 seconds.

6. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Will this be a godsend to Gamers?

7. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

hmmm, i better start saving some cash.

8. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

You can read more about this kind of thing over at anandtech.com.
    Remember Intel have dual core processors out now too although they are nothing compared to the X2. Intel is suppose to revamp its current line of dual cores some time in the future since they basically get spanked by AMD.

Check out performace here

Check out Intel's Dual Cores here and here

And more information can be found on the CPU main page here

There is a ton of information about this stuff all over the web but i find anandtech's information to be very informative and good basis for comparison although some times it can get a bit too technical.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Only if you have a multi-threaded game, which most aren't. They don't offer any real gains in day to day stuff, just big things like photoshop or video editing. Longhorn is supposed to be multithreaded to hell and back, but that can cause more problems than it solves.

10. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

Actually this has been shown to benefit game performance. This is a site that I posted in my previous post but i will post it again. It shows the performance difference when benchmarking games (very last page for game multitask one of the middle pages for game performance) along with other benchmarks of the AMD X2 series vs Intel D 800 series and the Intel EE D 800 series. Although the performance gain isn't too eye-popping (esp at only a few fps) it IS still a performance gain for a non multithreaded program. As software catches up to hardware you will see a much bigger difference.

This is similar to the theory of AMD 64s vs current 32-bit Intel CPUs. Although most programs and windows XP doesn't support 64 bit performance the performance of using AMD 64s are still better than that of Intel's 32 bit cpus or AMD XP's.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

PS Sorry for stepping on ur toes there a bit KOW :)

11. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Rius:

It is not so much the 64 bit IA-32 extensions so much as a better architecture.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Rius, as I said, they don't really offer anything worth shelling out 1k+ for a processor. They are little gains for now, later they will show more improvement.

Steel is also right when he mentions the superior architecture, 64-bit just means you can handle oodles upon oodles of RAM. The designs and layouts of the chips is just better really.

13. Pier

Pier IncGamers Member

Really nice all this 64 bit stuff, but

MAKE SOFTWARE THAT CAN USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had a 64 bit Athlon cpu now for half a year at the university, but I'm thinking of reinstalling everything in 32 bits. I need speed, not the memory, anyway.

With all the software (Fedora + the usual Linux stuff, like Open Office) you encounter problems when you least expect them. And the conclusion is always: "hmm, it worked fine on a 32 bit machine...".

Grr pIER

14. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

Ok thanks for the info (im used to being corrected by now) :)

When the summer ends ill be able to talk to my friend about it (hes a EE major and currently has a coop job with IBM designing CPUs/serverside tests) and maybe he can help enlighten me

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Doesn't make a difference. All of AMDs consumer chips will run 32bit and 64bit apps. Fedora has had issues for me in the past, mainly after the upgrades, which is fine with me as it isn't my main OS. When it comes down to it though, your processor isn't causing the problem.