Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ambulancedin thoughts and questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dnacra, Oct 17, 2006.

1. dnacra

dnacra IncGamers Member

Ambulancedin thoughts and questions

Lately, i started being interested in building an ambulancedin based on Sir Dante's original idea and Cat's PvM implementation. I built the charger variant as per Sir Dante. He has been pretty fun to play through normal. Now i am looking for an appriate polearm for nightmare.

While i was playing him i started pondering with the idea of making an ambulance smiter.

The skills points would be dispatched as follow:

20 Prayer
    20 CLeansing
    1 Defiance
    1 Vigor
    1 Might
    1 Blessed Aim
    1 Concentration
    20 Fanaticism
    20 Smite
    1 Holy Bolt
    1 Charge
    1 Blessed Hammer
    20 Holy Shield

This build is complete at level 87

Mercenary would be Act2 with might aura equiped with:
    Helm: Vampire Gaze (Physical Damage Reduction, Life Leech) or Kira's Guardian (Resist All)
    Armor: Leviathan (Physical Damage Reduction) or Guardian Angel (Resist All) or Stone
    Weapon: Reaper's Toll

When it comes to the character's equipement, i have 2 variants:

variant 1
    Helm: Harlequin Crest or Crown of Ages (+ Resist All/ - Reqs Jewel)
    Armor: Arkaine's Valor or Guardian Angel
    Weapon : Grief (Phase Blade)
    Shield : Herald of Zakarum
    Weapon Switch: Insight (Great Poleaxe, Cryptic Axe or Giant Tresher)
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Gloves: Crafted Blood Gloves (10% Crushing Blow, + Increase Attack Speed)
    Boots: Gore Rider
    Amulet: Crafted Blood Amulet (+2 Paladin Skills, + Resist All) or Guardian's Amulet of Life Everlasting
    Ring 1: Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
    Ring 2: Ravenfrost

variant 2
    Helm: Harlequin Crest or Crown of Ages (+ Resist all/ - Reqs Jewel)
    Armor: Arkaine's Valor or Guardian Angel
    Weapon : Grief (Phase Blade)
    Shield : Herald of Zakarum
    Weapon Switch: Spellsteel (Decrepify Charges)
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Gloves: Crafted Blood Gloves (10% Crushing Blow, + Increase Attack Speed)
    Boots: Gore Rider
    Amulet: Metalgrid (Iron Golem Charges)
    Ring 1: Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
    Ring 2: Ravenfrost

Using variant 1 is the classic ambulancedin build, you keep insght on switch with cleansing as the active aura for quick healing and use your primary aura and combat skill on the main weapon, here smite with fanaticism.

Variant 2 uses the metalgrid charges to raise an iron golem from the insight. You get the meditation aura always on and you can switch to secondary weapon to get double healing from the cleansing aura, right? Plus you get the decrepify charges from spellsteel to deal with physical immune monsters when the mercenary's reaper's toll does not trigger it fast enough.

Both variants look pretty good to me but i am pretty sure there are flaws in there that i did not think about. My goal here is to get input on each variants and what can be made better.

Note: I know it is not necessary to put 20 points in Smite, but that is the way i want to build him

cheers

dancra

2. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

I think you should go less for +skills and more for crushing blow (and other things that work to make Smite more effective... can't recall off the top of my head what works and doesn't work with Smite). Guillaume's face might be a better helm for this build... or, since you're going to be hitting monsters one at a time, Darksight Helm (with its CoS charges and other benefits).

The only real question I have about the build is "why not just put a point or two into Redemption?" Especially since you're going to only use Insight on switch... if you have to switch to fill up your blue and red bulbs, why not just switch the aura, use Redemption, and save the skill points for a back-up attack you can use against physical immune monsters (who won't fear your smiting at all)?

3. dnacra

dnacra IncGamers Member

It is an interesting point Skunk but the goal of the Ambulancedin build is to get prayer and cleansing in the 40s and use insight. This way you heal 100s HP/second without bodies.

Guillaume's face is a very good helm, i forgot about it entirely for crushing blow. That will be an excellent addition to the built!

Keep the ideas coming :)

4. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

For the second variant, I'm pretty sure you won't get the Prayer synergy from the Meditation aura on the golem.

I guess my main question is are you building this for PvP or PvM?

For PvM, it's really just one of those weird little builds, and I'm getting the impression you are looking more for backup mana and health regen, which would be better handled Skunk's way. If you go with Fanaticism as your main aura, I'm betting that you will find you never actually use the weapon switch unless you are standing in town. :grin:

Also, you really only need 1 point in cleansing, with the +skills you should be sporting. The build you listed actually completes at 97, not 87, but by starting out with the 1 point Cleansing, that shouldn't be a problem for you. I decided to max Cleansing last, and never got around to adding anything more than the first point. I didn't need it, and there were better things to do with the skill points.

If you are going to PvP, someone with actual PvP experience will be more useful than me.

5. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

PvP: Not viable, since it's a weak version of an already mediocre build (pure smiter).

PvM: Viable, but I'm not sure how Insight helps you in either of your two builds. If you make a golem out of the Insight using Metalgrid charges, then you'll have to constantly remake the golem because it disappears every time you unequip the amulet. IIRC the game automatically unequips and re-equips all your gear when you enter a new game or use a waypoint so you might need an entire stash of Insight polearms just for one gaming session. An unsynergized golem is also quite weak, so it's going to die often just from monsters beating on it. On top of that, you don't get the prayer synergy so you're only getting mana regen (useless for you). By keeping the Insight on switch, then you're not getting any benefit out of it while you're fighting with Grief + Fanaticism. If you plan on using the Insight switch to refill life after a battle, you're better off either flashing Redemption or drinking a potion. If you absolutely must use an Insight, then hire a Prayer merc and give it to him. Even then, I don't think it's worth the loss of 1000+ Smite damage from a Might aura and decrep from Reaper's.

As for your other gear, Grief PB with Fanaticism should already reach max Smite speed without further IAS. Futhermore, when you're pumping out 7k damage per smite CB won't noticeably boost your killing speed except for Baal. I'd wear the CoA for resists and replace the crafted gloves with Drac's for liftetap or LoH for more damage to demons. Arkaine's Valor is absolute trash unless it's the 1.07/1.08 version, so go with the GA. Ideally you'd be wearing Fortitude and Exile, but out of the gear you listed those are the best options.

6. nex

nex IncGamers Member

You barbs :rolleyes:

How is pure smiter mediocre build? Yes, it lacks backup skill and it's IMO bad idea to build pure smiter (it's boring as hell also), but the fact is that destroys every melee char except ww barb and has easy time with most of casters.

Grief smiter is probably the most stupidly overpowered/imbalanced build in game.

7. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Grief smiters are only overpowered for killing bosses, dclone/ubers in particular. Even for Baal, CS zons are at least comparable in speed. In general, smite doesn't really compare to any of the mass killing skills (LF, blizz, hammer, etc.) and isn't even the top melee skill (Zeal, Fury, and WW are faster in most situations).

As for PvP, you don't see every melee character; you see a lot of ww barbs, a lot of smiters, and a handful of zealots and fury wolves. Smiter vs. zealot is an auto-win and has a massive advantage over fury wolves, but they're gimped against ww barbs. I don't see smiters having an easy time against most casters either, especially when tele is allowed. Smiter vs. hammerdin typically turns out ugly for the smiter. Same thing with bone necros and windies. Smiters have too many fights where they're at a massive disadvantage to be top tier, but they do win enough to not be totally worthless. As far as I'm concerned, that puts them in the middle of the road which is what I mean by mediocre.

8. nex

nex IncGamers Member

I meant PvP, PvM smiter is IMO pointless (you don't really need smite's auto-hit in PvM and like you said other skills are better/faster).

And melee char that doesn't need AR and can ignore block is IMO seriously overpowered. Add Grief and you have a monster.

I agree with everything except bolded thing. Every non-tele caster (except hammer & windy) is easy target for charge+vigor followed with smite. Even boner. Tele sorc can be killed also, though it's annoying duel.

Well, I guess we just look at that from different perspective. IMO everything said makes smiter above average build, somewhere in the upper half of ladder.

Heh, I'm not sure why I'm even arguing over this, I actually hate pure smite idea. Kinda pointless build when you have so many spare skill points which can be used to make nice smite+something else build. Damn, now I'm not even sure am I defending smiter as a build or only smite skill? :scratch:

9. dnacra

dnacra IncGamers Member

Thanks for your input folks, i should have specified that i was planning on playing PvM...

So redemption would be a better solution than cleansing, i will take note of it. Though, it won't really be the same build at all after that change but just the average smiter.

@Kab: i totally forgot about the fact that the golem would pop every time i use a waypoint. Guess i will rule out the metalgrid option. Also, about the dracul's grasp for life leech, does smite not work with leeching?

@Cattleya: oopsie, i need to get back in shool and do second grade math again... 1+108-12?87