Amazon unable to use strafe?

amazon

Banned
Amazon unable to use strafe?

Strafe doesn't do any damage when I use it within melee range of multiple monsters. (Eg. when I'm swarmed by those little children thingies in act 3) It still shows the animation, but none of the monsters take any damage. I know this because monsters I usually kill in one or two hits survive long enough to kill me. Also, the monsters don't turn green, even though I have a lot of poison damage. I have to back off and use it for it to do anything.

Is this a glitch or was it intended? Any way to get around it?

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
It's nothing special really. It's just the way passive skills (Dodge in your case) interact with some zon skills. The same problem also occurs when Fend skill is used (but much more fatal since Fend is for melee). People familiar with Amazons are well aware of this bug.

In the future make sure you aren't being attacked while strafing. Improve your Valkyrie, get a strong merc. Switch to Multishot if you still have problems (specifically in Flayer Jungle, Multishot does a great job).

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
I have this problem while using orb too, especially if the server is somewhat laggy. What happens is that in you computer, you have used the attack, but in the server you were not using it because you were hit and interrupted, and the interrupted signal did not get sent to your computer yet. As a result, you see spikes on the screen, but nothing is damaged/chilled. The way to avoid this, of course, is to make sure you are not being attacked while starting those skills.

Firvagor

Diabloii.Net Member
I've had this problem, too. When I use my full M'avina set it's fine, but when I weapon switch to my Hellrack (if the weapon types matter...), it doesn't hit. The funny thing is, if I start running, then target something and fire, the amazon's feet stop moving, but the character keeps sliding in the direction I was running for a few yards! So I'm "skating" and firing, but I can never hit.
I've also had a bug where I'm firing a ranged weapon (with any amazon), and when I get hit, my next missile weapon goes flying off in another direction, most of the time either 90º off, or basically out of my back. Very annoying.

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
Firvagor said:
I've had this problem, too. When I use my full M'avina set it's fine, but when I weapon switch to my Hellrack (if the weapon types matter...), it doesn't hit.
Hellrack is much slower than a full mavina's set, so it is more likely that you are getting hit and interrupted (as described previously in this thread).

firvagor said:
The funny thing is, if I start running, then target something and fire, the amazon's feet stop moving, but the character keeps sliding in the direction I was running for a few yards! So I'm "skating" and firing, but I can never hit.
I have never seen this problem, but it could be due to being out of sync with the server.

firvagor said:
I've also had a bug where I'm firing a ranged weapon (with any amazon), and when I get hit, my next missile weapon goes flying off in another direction, most of the time either 90º off, or basically out of my back. Very annoying.
Are you using strafe? Strafe fires at whatever targets are in range. If there's an enemy right up next to you, the game might see it as 90 degrees off or actually behind you. The same thing would happen if you're locked onto an enemy.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Firvagor said:
I've had this problem, too. When I use my full M'avina set it's fine, but when I weapon switch to my Hellrack (if the weapon types matter...), it doesn't hit. The funny thing is, if I start running, then target something and fire, the amazon's feet stop moving, but the character keeps sliding in the direction I was running for a few yards! So I'm "skating" and firing, but I can never hit.
The skating 'bug' is is when you're moving and try to cast/attack something and it isn't allowed. You then skate all the way to the point you click on for movement, with the character looking at the cursor.

It's something new in 1.10, this didn't happen in 1.09. I have no idea why the game picks a new direction when you get hit.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
This is the big drawback of strafe (i still consider this skill far better than multishot unless you have insane equipment). You have to be very careful not to be targeted by multiple monsters because a dodge/avoid/evade animation will cause you to continue your strafe cycle but you will be guaranteed to miss all shots in that cycle. Careful positioning of valk and merc are key. Knockback helps too :)

Firvagor

Diabloii.Net Member
thegiantturtle said:
Hellrack is much slower than a full mavina's set, so it is more likely that you are getting hit and interrupted (as described previously in this thread).
I know this isn't the problem. I hardly ever actually get hit (especially with Decoy, a Valk, and my merc out), so sometimes I'm able to hit with Hellrack, sometimes not.

thegiantturtle said:
I have never seen this problem, but it could be due to being out of sync with the server.
I'm SP, offline. :D

thegiantturtle said:
Are you using strafe? Strafe fires at whatever targets are in range. If there's an enemy right up next to you, the game might see it as 90 degrees off or actually behind you. The same thing would happen if you're locked onto an enemy.
I can be using any skill at all and this happens. It tends to happen with ranged enemies too, like Vile Archers. I could be not in melee range and the character still goes wierd on me.

RTB said:
The skating 'bug' is is when you're moving and try to cast/attack something and it isn't allowed. You then skate all the way to the point you click on for movement, with the character looking at the cursor.
I guess everything I target isn't allowed, then. I think I mostly notice it in Act I, though, but I could be wrong (it's been a while since I've used my bowazon). I could be not moving and still not be able to hit. It's pretty screwy.

I think I got my answers, but in any case I'll have to deal with them. :D Maybe a little FHR will help to reduce the frame usage and allow me to actually hit, but then again I have no idea.

Thanks!