Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Amazon build for a WF ?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Malachi, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Malachi

Malachi Banned

Amazon build for a WF ?

I read the sniper guide and the frozen arrow guide, and I wonder what build would be best for a WF ama.

Please keep in mind I play hc, and most likely will spend more vit then usual (and about 200 dex max I guess).

It seems strafe is the way, since a WF can reach nice speeds with it (no idea how to gain 120% ias for a 6/2 attack, well, 80% ias on top of a shael'd WF that is, any tips welcome).

In HC I would appreciate the extra tank, so I am inclined to at least:

17'ish valk
    20 strafe
    1 in the dodge skills

I see two additional roads here. The one described in The Pit guide going the cold route (20 freezing and 20 ice I believe) or go with a Magic Arrow build mainly for bosses and PI's.

So what would you do ? Is a low max dmg WF build (since I wont max out dex) viable, does Magic Arrow do enough dmg with it or is the cold route better for crowd control ?

Advise appreciated, thanks !

2. Malachi

Malachi Banned

Correct me if I am wrong. 120% ias needed for a 6/2 ?

So, 20% ias on WF, and a shael 20%. Still 80% needed. Is there any way to achieve this without full IAS armor ?

20% cats eye or highlords, 25% from a stealskull (with 15% ias jewel), 10% on a nosfe or goldwrap. 15% ias from a jewel in armor. Thats still 10% short ?

Bah.

3. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

I don't know where you got the 120% ias needed for 6/2. 7/2 is the fastest any bow can shoot, and taking a hydra bow there will take 292% ias (252% from equipment, since the wf already has 20% and you can socket it with a shael). However, 120% will take you to 9/2 which is very nice. The M'avina circlet with an ias jewel (45% ias) will help you avoid the ias armor.

It's a little wasted to use a wf for FA where speed is more important. Strafe, MA, MS and GA are nice skills to use with your wf. The Sniperzon would be a good build.

4. Malachi

Malachi Banned

Its the 9/2 I remembered, the 120% ias. I guess mavina's would solve the ias issues and face it, that pony tail is too cute anyway to hide in an ugly helm.

I get your point of a WF being a bit slow for a lot of FA, but FA sure seems a good crowd control, and maybe just 1 point for that could be enough. However maxed FA with Cold Arrow as synergy can easily do over 1k cold dmg and would be a good PI killer I guess. I would see the FA as a backup skill with Strafe as the main skill.

5. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

FA is not a good PI killer for a Strafeazon, as FA will drain your mana bulb in no time against PIs (not to mention that spending 40 skill points in a back up attack is a bit on the expensive side). My own experience is that knock-back with Valk and merc will keep you safe enough. For PIs I would recommend either MA (as in the Sniperzon guide), wear Atma's Scarab or use WWS on switch.

6. Malachi

Malachi Banned

WWS ?

I dont have atma's but may be able to trade for one for one. I was mainly basing the cold attacks on The Pit ama guide, a place where I expect to strut around a bit with my ama since its good fun. The other purpose I have for FA is maybe some pindle's seems that could work quite nice, with maybe a faster bow on switch.

However 20% magical damage is not too shabby either I guess for no mana at all. Thanks for your input Sasja, always hard to make these decisions.

7. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

No problem - I always agonise forever over each new build I try :)

WWS is short for Witchwild String, the unique short siegebow, which in addition to a 2% chance of casting Amplify Damage (which will break the immunity of most PIs - that's why Atma's Scarab with it's 5% chance of casting Amplify Damage is really nice for a Strafeazon) has a free level 20 Magic Arrow, saving you the skill points.

As the pit has no PIs, a pure Strafeazon really has no trouble there at all.

8. retrovamp

retrovamp IncGamers Member

Unfortunately WF can only hit 8 frames max. 7 frame bows would be the Matriarchals and Blades etc.

I've actually done very well with WF in pit and Multi-Shot. Bow dmg is high enough that you don't need added dmg from strafe, and multi can be used at a longer range. Wipe out groups from long range. However if you can't get a WF and find dmg isn't going that well, strafe is the best way to go.

9. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

WF and FA

I actually like using wf with freezing arrow because the high damage allows you to leach plenty of mana back. This is mainly for someone who wants to use fa as their main attack of course.