Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Amazon Build/Equip Suggestions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Suzunahara, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Suzunahara

Suzunahara IncGamers Member

Amazon Build/Equip Suggestions

I'm considering respeccing my level 77 Amazon, but I'm torn between which way I want to build her.

I saw in this thread by Nightfish a Lightning Fury/Strafe Hybrid that seems good. It seems like a more "Passive" version of the Gunslinger build here, which I was also considering. The standard "Fishyzon"(Lightning Fury/Frozen Arrow hybrid) is my current spec. I'm looking to switch mostly because Frozen Arrow eats a ton of mana, and I nearly die every time I run out in combat.

Basically, what I'm trying to figure is which would be the best choice, based on my current selection of equipment, for getting through hell difficulty(she's still in Act 1 Hell), but will be a viable build for doing various runs.

The relevant equipment I have access to includes:
    Code:
    Helms:
    [LIST]
    [*]+2 Passives, 6% mana leech, 5% life leech Rare Coronet
    [*]60 Res Kira's Guardian
    [*]Harlequin Crest
    [/LIST]
    Armors:
    [LIST]
    [*]Lionheart Rune Word
    [*]32 Resist Skin of the Vipermagi
    [*]Treachery Rune Word
    [/LIST]
    Gloves:
    [LIST]
    [*]+2 Passives, 20% IAS Crafted Hitpower gloves
    [*]Laying of Hands
    [*]Dracul's Grasp[/LIST]
    Belts:
    [LIST]
    [*]String of Ears
    [*]Razortail
    [*]Thundergod's Vigor[/LIST]
    Boots:
    [LIST]
    [*]War Traveler
    [*]Gore Rider
    [/LIST]
    Bows:
    [LIST]
    [*]Lycander's Aim
    [*]Harmony/Melody Rune Words
    [*]Upped Witchwild String
    [/LIST]
    Rings:
    [LIST]
    [*]+7 Min Damage, 4% Mana Leech, 7% Life Leech, 11 All Resist, +23% Poison Resist Rare
    [*]Manald Heals(I have 2)
    [*]Raven Frost
    [*]Nagelrings(30% Magic Find on one, 21% on a second)
    [/LIST]
    Amulets:
    [List]
    [*]+1 Amazon Skills, +12 All Resistances, +10 Life Rare
    [*]The Cat's Eye
    [*]The Eye of Etlich
    [/list]

The Only relevant Javelin I have is Titan's Revenge(not that I need any others), and I've got a Spirit Monarch to pair with it.

So basically, I'm just looking for opinions on how I should spec her. I should note I've only got the 1 free respec left, for any more I'd have to trade for Tokens, which I doubt I could afford(and probably can't reasonably farm myself). Hence why I'm asking.

TL;DR: Would Lightning Fury/Strafe(with max Valkyrie) be a good choice for my current selection of equipment? And if not, what should I look for so it will be viable?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Re: Amazon Build/Equip Suggestions

Well, "Gunslinger" is a much better name than "LF/Strafe Amazon," for what it's worth. ;)

I am not sure why your fishyzon is having trouble. Kira's should solve your resist problems vs magical attacks. Do you have a good blocking shield (Stormshield would be ideal, of course) for physical attacks? How is your mercenary looking? Is he wielding "Insight"? FA eats mana even with meditation, but a few blue pots solves that problem (and they replenish themselves as you run). Besides, you only need FA vs lightning immunes (although they are plentiful in certain areas). It just seems to me that you should be taking very little fire to begin with (since your merc should be eating it), you should have good defensive posture with your gear, and LF should be protecting you the old-fashioned way. I am not sure if you are using Valk and/or Decoy (my fishyzon doesn't), but that is an added layer of protection if you are.

Anyways, strafe can be used very safely in the Pits. I was running there with negative resists in every category without dying. Actually, strafe is very safe in most places. LF decimates the opposition, as you already know. I can't imagine the two being a poor combination if your bow setup does good physical damage.

3. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

1) What's your current gear on your LF/FA amazon and her mercenary?
    2) When you say "various runs", what areas/bosses are you specifically targeting?
    3) What /players setting do you plan on using for questing and/or your runs?
    4) How is your level of wealth in terms of resistance/skill/MF/damage charms?

I'm leaning towards saying you should just gut it out with your LF/FA amazon, since LF/Strafe will force you to make quiet a few compromises in terms of stat point distribution and gear selection. There should be a lot of information on the topic of LF/Strafe floating around out there though. Try searching the forums for threads such as poops' Matriarch thread.

EDIT: As jdkerr mentions, 'Insight' is a possible solution for your problems. It really starts to shine if you can get your mana pool up to a respectable size.

4. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

Insight on my merc is what saved my FA/LF build. I also found with a bit of Mana Leech on my equipment, I could occasionally let off a quick Strafe to pull some mana back and then continue on with Frozen Arrow. FA certainly eats mana like crazy!
    I found allot of the time I would save the FA/Strafe combo for LI monsters, and everything else got LF.
    The gear you listed certainly seems viable, you have some good stuff there, IMHO.

5. Suzunahara

Let's see... Blocking shield would be no, just a Spirit. Merc has insight, and is Might type for what it's worth. I probably could get one in a trade though, so I'll look into that. I have a point in decoy, but I *always* forget about it. No points in Valk, as per Nightfish's guide.

It's mostly just lightning immune uniques and the like that tend to give me problems. Most especially any Act 1 Lighning Immune archers >.> They tend to kill the merc and myself very, very quickly, and if I haven't noticed and switched weapons fast enough I'm not far off myself.

Of course the merc's gear in general is terrible. His insight is just in an exceptional polearm, helm is Crown of Thieves(which is passable), but his armor is just an Iron Pelt, which was about the best thing I had last time I looked.

1) Current Gear on the Amazon is the rare Coronet(+2 passives, dual leech) I mentioned, since she needs one more level to actually wear the Kira's Guardian. Titan's Revenge/Spirit for the main weapon, with a -35 resist Wizendraw on switch for Frozen Arrow. Lionheart Armor, War Traveler Boots, Crafted Knockback gloves with +2 passives and 20% IAS, belt is Razortail. Jewelry is one Ravefrost, Rare dual leech ring with 11 resist all, and a +1 Amazon skills, 12 Resist all amulet. I've got 242 Mana with the bow equipped =/

2) The Pits and Meph were going to be my main targets to start with.

3) I wasn't planning on any higher than /players 3 setting, if I could even take that.

4) I have precisely one Skiller, and it's for a paladin. I've got one 6%, and one 7% MF small charm. I have a few good resist charms; A couple 11% lightning small charms, one with 3% MF on it, one 3% shimmering small charm, and one 13% shimmering grand charm.
    As for damage charms, I have one Fine Grand Charm(+6 max damage, 46 attack rating), and the only elemental ones that have dropped have no damage really worth mentioning.

Ok, I think I answered everything. Honestly wasn't expecting more than one response in such a short amount of time >.<

Edit: I don't have the point in decoy after all... Forgot I didn't take on my last respec because I never used it

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  6. NagisaFurukawa

Using Decoy is very important. You'll grow to love it, especially if you plan on doing Pit runs with those nasty archers in the fray. Speaking of Pit runs, it would probably be a good idea to spend time there leveling your character before moving on. If nothing else, your mercenary would benefit from it significantly.

Here's the gear I would use for those runs:

Javelin: Titan's Revenge
    Shield: 'Spirit' Monarch
    Bow: Lycander's Aim
    Helm: Harlequin Crest
    Armor: 'Lionheart'
    Gloves: 2/20/KB
    Belt: Razortail
    Boots: War Traveler
    Amulet: The Cat's Eye
    Ring: Raven Frost
    Ring: Dual Leech Ring

Merc: 'Insight', Crown of Thieves, 'Treachery'

That should hit 10 FPA for LF and FA (8 for CS). Resistances aren't that important for Pit runs as long as you're careful. The mercenary will have a lot of trouble with his current gear though, so be sure to use Decoy and Freezing Arrow liberally around archers.

Also, xxnothing's suggestion of a point in Strafe for occasional leeching is a good one, so you may want to try that out. (That is partly why I like Lycander's over Wizendraw.)

EDIT: If you have something like Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest (the ugly hat), it works quite well for your mercenary.

7. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Level 77 is kind a low level, if you can stick through it and get 5-10 levels you and your merc would be a lot better off.

Get a better blocking shield (whitstans, Gerkes) and scout with your decoy while wearing it. That should pull a lot of heat off of your merc around the archers.

On a slightly unrelated note, anyone have success in pit runs vs archers with and idr merc setup?

Edit: Beaten!
    And realize the pit monsters are level 85 with archer bosses at **.

8. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

You should definitely be using the Lycander's over the Widendraw, Wiz offers pitiful physical damage for leeching back mana during your FA volleys. Lyc gives you more phys damage *and* mana steal, plus the +4 total bowskills increases raw FA damage in compensation for losing the -35% cold res.

In order to reach a 9 frame attack with FA, you could Shael/IAS jewel the Lyc and IAS jewel your hat (assuming you wear 20 IAS gloves and Cat's Eye as per NagisaFuruwaka's suggestions). Optional, but 9 frame shooting is more fun than 10, and a tad safer.

9. Suzunahara

I've been running the Pits on her, actually. It's kind of why I posted the thread(I've been getting a fair amount of Lightning/Cold Immune unique archers, and myself and the merc just die every time I see one.)

But I will make the switches you suggested Nagisa, and see if it makes it any better. Next 3 points will go towards getting decoy, and then I'll spend some time learning how to properly use it. Thanks very much for your suggestions!

@Painman: I did just pick up a Fervor Jewel, and I've got a shael or two, so I should be able to do that. Thanks!

10. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Once you get your decoy, make a few levels, etc., you might consider swapping the Lionheart for Vipermagi. The +1 skills will help your damage output (on both switches); the lack of stats will lower your life bulb.

In the Pits, be quick to use pots to keep your mercenary alive. Plenty of purple ones drop, so don't be stingy with them. :) As you level, your mercenary's survivability will increase dramatically, particularly to physical attackers like archers.

(Edit for idiot.)
    (Edit again for idiot.)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  11. Suzunahara

The first part of your post confuses me greatly, as Lionheart and Spirit occupy two different gear slots.

But the second part, I almost never pot the merc(which I realize is dumb, but in the midst of battle I can't remember the proper button combo to do so). I will definitely try to change that. And I suppose I should start using Full Rejuvs more, I've got a stash with 100 of them =/. So thanks for that.

And thanks to everyone else who's replied as well. You've all been a great help, and at a much faster rate than I ever anticipated!

12. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

I fixed the post. Ugh.

As for the pots, it's just Shift + Pot button. :) I use Shift for "stand still," so it works great: if my merc needs a pot, he is under fire; if he is under fire, I am attacking; if I am attacking, I am already holding shift. ;)

13. NagisaFurukawa

jdkerr: Vipermagi only has +1 skill. :p 'Lionheart' is probably the better choice either way though, since he/she probably has stat points tied into it.

Suzunahara: Let us know how it goes. :)

14. Suzunahara

I will, don't worry. Though it'll probably be tomorrow or so before I get to try it out. Rest of the night is probably going towards some laptop fixing work(something I do in my spare time, free of charge for friends/family).

15. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

I give up. My brain is far too addled from writing funding proposals today to say anything coherent.

Yikes. :p

16. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Gotta admit I only read the initial post, but if you have mana problems, the most obvious thing to do is get insight on the merc, if you have that option.

What I personally do is keep one row of blue potions, use those when I run out and pick up new ones as I go along. Maybe that costs me 2 seconds after each battle but I will kill stuff much faster with FA than I would with strafe so that makes up for it. Rejuvs I only use for emergencies when HP drop faster than I'd like.

I might have listed more options in the guide, I wrote it so long ago that I don't really remember...

At any rate, I would not suggest using strafe over FA if you're looking to improve your performance. Strafe is a pretty weak skill and really needs high end gear to make it shine. And as I never get tired of saying, it's quite hard to mix spell-like and weapon damage dependant skills on the same build. It does work with LF because LF is just overpowered, but if you have the option of having 2 skills that benefit from +skills (like FA and LF) that will be a lot better.

17. AeroGear

AeroGear IncGamers Member

Strafe is actually a very strong skill but needs a physical damage build, which goes against the standard gear setup someone focusing around FA or LF would do. Building a strafer/furyzon pretty much requires "Faith" or some attack rating work around (magefists, angelic combo, demon limb) which limits your gear choices. Even then you'll end up with much more points in vit than you'd want.

Mana problems are solved in part by Insight, but mostly by increasing your mana pool. Caster crafts, frostburn, SoJ or a decent rare with +60 or more mana should help a lot with mana issues.

Unsure why leech has been suggested, unless you have significant AR or ITD mod, none of your attacks (elemental damage aside) will hit.

18. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

If you are having archer issues, your best bet is trying to stack DR where you can. Stormshield is fantastic, but you will likely have your bow switch active to kill them, so not so helpful other than to prevent getting sniped before before you see them. Didn't see Vamp Gaze on your list, but that would be a good substitute for your circlet if you can get one.

Trading your Might merc out for Holy Freeze will increase survivability as well.

To help with your mana issues, Serpent's GCs will make a big difference since the effect of Meditation from Insight scales with the size of your mana pool.

-Hammy

19. Suzunahara

Alright, so as asked, initial observations based on the runs I've done with Nagisa's suggested changes.

I've had precisely one mana issue after the switch, and that was because of a mana burn unique, so I don't really count it. I've also yet to die so far, though I've come close a couple times. I haven't seen a lightning/cold immune unique archer so far, so the not dying could easily change when I do...

But so, the equip changes seem good. I haven't shael'ed/jeweled the Lycander's/Harlequin Crest yet, but I'll get around to it eventually(I mostly just can't remember which of my characters have socket quests left, and I don't want to kill any maps I don't have to looking for them).

And just for the record, I *really* dislike the look of the Harlequin Crest(or any other non-circlet headgear for that matter) on Amazons. Just kills the aesthetics of the character. But if it keeps her alive, and helps with mana issues, I guess I'll just have to live with it :\.