Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

amazingly stupid ideas that worked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by asdf, Feb 20, 2004.

1. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

amazingly stupid ideas that worked

name some. for example:

the igloo. how do you stay warm during the night in a freezing cold environment? build a small hut MADE OF FROZEN WATER.

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

how is that amazingly stupid? what the hell else are they gonna make it out of ya jerk

3. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

I don't know if this qualifies but I'm going to post it anyway :D

Stonehenge (sp)

You want to build an altar fine, you want it to last for sometime fine, but who in their right minds would drag massive stones weighing several tons, hundreds of miles at a time when transportation is done by foot or horse?

Though the inner most rings still stand...

edit: igloo isn't such a dumb idea, it beats the crap out of being in the open wind. And having built snow igloos (when little) I know they really insulate you from the outside air so you "recycle" your own bodyheat and stay warm.

4. ULTIMATER

ULTIMATER IncGamers Member

Like, the Igloo wasent stupid . . .

And Stonehenge, do you REALLY know what its for? Maybe there is a reason for the size of it? Or maybe people where huge back then and Stonehenge is just a chair or something . . .

5. Forcefeedback

Hmm... I hope your trying to be funny. I mean for example the pyramids are certainly dated to be older than stonehenge so why did they build them suited for people roughly our current size.

No I don't know for sure what its for but for a chair it wouldn't be very ergonomic, but maybe people liked being high and mighty (by sitting on stones several meters high) and would be stubborn enough to climb an almost straight stone to have that feeling. Sounds odd but possible.

Nice to have different views on my idea, thanks :thumbsup:

6. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

The igloo is MUCH warmer than being out in the exposed air, as has been pointed out already. Plus you can bring a heater inside and warm the air (and no it won't melt the igloo). If you're ever caught out in the wilderness during extreme temperatures, it's better to dig into the snow and make a shelter there than it is to stay on the exposed surface. Same principle for igloos. The Inuit have use them for thousands of years in that extreme environment and they survive because of it. I'd say that proves it's not stupid.

And the most likely theory so far for Stonehenge was that it was an astronomical observance site used in religious ceremonies. People will go through a lot for religion. Look at the pyramids...

7. Cmdr_Adeon

Cmdr_Adeon IncGamers Member

I think its perfectly clear that stonehenge was built by aliens as a landing cradle for their flying saucers :). Actually as others have said it and several other sites in Europe were built so that various bits line up at one or other of the equinoxes (or some other appropriate time), why people decided to do this we don't know, but it could very well have been a calendar of sorts ("When the shadow from this rock lands on this rock, stick the seeds in the ground").

8. Johnny

Johnny Banned

The pyramids where very usefull.

They provided work for thousands of people during the seasons when you couldnt farm or harvest so they could still support themselves.

9. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Well you all think igloos are so much warmer, why don't you sleep in the freezer :p

10. Forcefeedback

/smartass comment
    Actually sleeping in the freezer would be very warm if it wasn't turned on.
    It is designed to insulate thermally(sp) the insides from the outside so once you put an heat source (yourself) into it very minimal heat leakes off.
    The reason I wouldn't sleep in a freezer is because it's airtight so you would suffocate. /end smartass comment

@Johnny:
    Yes the pyramids were useful like having the car with the most horsepower is useful, they were only tokens of power to other rulers and the mausoleum for the dead ruler.
    But yes I think your point still stands. It was good leadership to create "useless" work to do which shows the greatness of the community and thus bind the individual tightly into a working community for their current ruler. So I think pyramids had a purpose.

11. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

It was built by Kung-Fu ninja pirates so they knew where to find their dentures when they got old.

12. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Hahaha. That was the funniest thing I read this week.

13. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

how about eating things like coconuts, or pineapples?

who was the first guy who spent all that time opening up one of them hard *** coconuts, when bananas grow in the same areas?

and who thought that those spiney *** pineapples would ever be good to eat and just tried one?

14. NIRVANA

NIRVANA IncGamers Member

what about eggs? Why would someone want to eat something that looked like it just fell out of a chicken's (or some other type of bird) butt? Doesn't make much sense...

15. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It's where the ancient peoples kept their car keys so they wouldn't lose them.

16. toader

toader Banned

Ill continue on topic and try to get the thread moving in a direction that the creator intended.

Stupid Invention #1:

The CALOY Flood Detector

Working on the principle that flood water has conductivity, The CALOY Flood Detector is one gadget every person should have and own! The operation of the aparatus is simple. It beeps the moment water reaches it.

What's good about The CALOY Flood Detector is that it can also be a flood LEVEL detector. With its belt clip, you can wear the device on any part of your body.

"Thanks CALOY Flood Detector, I now know that the water is up to my waist!"

Everyone agrees. Floods may be a natural phenomenon no one can predict or control, but with The CALOY Flood Detector, it doesn't mean we can't detect it.

Stupid Invention #2:

The system that allows you to report power failures via the Internet

(think about it)

(note: this witty commentary is not my own, but I do agree with it and find it funny)

edit: I just realized this was funny ideas that WORKED. Oh well, these were funny anyways.

17. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Milk:
    "Hey, George! You gotta try this!"
    "What is it?"
    "I just squeezed it out of that cow."
    "Alright, sounds great!"

Butter:
    "Hey, George! You gotta try this!"
    "What is it?"
    "Remember that stuff that I squeezed out of the cow?"
    "Yeah. That was good!"
    "Well, I let it sit out for a while and go bad, and then I shook the hell out of it. Now it's all gooey and slimy. Want some?"
    "Sign me up!"

18. TheOgreMan

TheOgreMan IncGamers Member

People, I think that asdf was really trying to get us to find ideas that would not seem to work but did; his example was the igloo. At first it seems dumb, or stupid, to keep ones self warm with cold objects. It works, however, so it no longer seems dumb. The original idea is stupid, though.

My example is yogurt. Who would be so stupid as to add a bacteria to milk and let it "sour" (for lack of better word) and then eat it? The bacteria in yogurt is the same as what is in the human stomach so chances are someone vomited in some milk, left it in a heated area for a day or two, then decided to eat the thick substance left. That, to me, is stupid. I'm glad for the discovery because yogurt is good, but still...

19. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

how about wine? or alchoholic beverages in general?

seriously, who was the first guy to be like "hmmm, lets leave this out to rot, and then drink whatever comes out of it"

20. masterazn

masterazn Banned

GreatStickels, I think it's probably because someone forgot about their grape juice and then found it and tried it and got drunk and thought it was awesome. Thus, wine was created.