Amazingly Stupid behavior

Lord Chaos

Diabloii.Net Member
Usufruct said:
Well you presume that the person is not racist, although you have no idea. He could be racist or he may not be, so saying it has nothing at all to do with racism is too much to assume.
I don't think its too much to assume, since I am not assuming anything. But this is definetly the wrong forum and wrong place to get into a longer discussion about this.

I commented and answered, thats it.

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
Lord Chaos said:
I don't think its too much to assume, since I am not assuming anything. But this is definetly the wrong forum and wrong place to get into a longer discussion about this.

I commented and answered, thats it.
You ARE assuming that it has nothing to do with racism! He may just be a stupid kid trying to be offensive, or he may think black people suck, you have no idea.

Vizier

Diabloii.Net Member
velveteenwabbit said:
U
2. A part of me would have, simply because, had he been a bit nicer, I'd have explained to him what he did wrong, etc, etc. I don't really like being mean / obnoxious on b.net, no matter how much I think about doing it lol But, if he was gonna be obnoxious, then no lol Given the way the situation was stated in Conan's post, i'd have left the game and been done with it lol

Once you drop anything in a public game, you assume you aren't getting it back lol Regardless of whether that's wrong or right, that's just how it is xD
Ditto for me. 1, sure I'd have made the trade. If he'd been nice about his mistake I would have told him how to unsocket it. Many have been the times that I'll let fellow players take the elite unique that drops if it's not something I plan to use right away or I'm not 100% sure I was the one that killed the monster(s). It was on the ground, I could have snatched it if I wanted. Sure I could sell it, but I enjoy imagining that warm feeling in the other player of getting something by chance that's rare and possibly better than what they had already.

I can't judge whether taking the zerker was right or not. But remember that when mercy is deserved, it is no longer mercy. I'm sure the kid was mad at himself to some extent.

chuth

Diabloii.Net Member
>Umm, maybe its just me, but I don't see how he acted uncivily.

Wrong word, maybe. I just don't think he should have picked up the axe again and offered to sell it back to him. I realize I'm probably in the minority on that because of the whole "if it's on the ground, it's fair game" rule, but I think that since the kid gave him the runes, the axe was his.

thewoodshed

Diabloii.Net Member
The fact of the matter is the channels in an unstructured free-for-all. I think of it as the Old West. There are many victims, gunslingers and greenhorns. There is no "right" or "wrong" for the community- it just "is".

This brings to light personal standards. You are only as good as you act. Other peoples actions should have no bearing on this, however one's standards can positively influence another.

There is nothing "wrong" with what you done, however I would have acted differently:

To question #1: I would have made the trade, only after advising him what the true value of the item was. If he still wanted to give 20 Vex, then fine but I would have settled for a reasonable offer.

To question #2: When he dropped the axe, I would have picked it up and advised him how to solve his problem. If he wanted it back- that is fine, If he didn't, then I would return the runes minus the cost to shatter the mis-socketed runeword.

I have been in these situations before. I have made a few good decent buddies this way simply becasue of my choices, and I would like to think that my act of forthrightness influenced the people I effect ion a positive way, and then perhaps they will do so in turn.

'shed

warlock_666

Diabloii.Net Member
Lord Chaos said:
This has nothing to do with racism
did u read the rest of my post? it clearly says im assuming that he means the racist n-word in which case it is to do with racism. As it turns out he was talking about noob so what i said doesnt even matter. what i said about racists still stands though.

Wolv

Diabloii.Net Member
Lord Chaos said:
Jeez, where do you guys get all those ZODs from?...let alone the Vex rune :(
Rune dupe. Zods are everywhere, and its sickening. All the iths from 1.09 are now BOTD and Enigmas. Yay.

Back on topic.

U do NOT hand a spoiled kid back the axe. This only reinforces that the brat gets what he wants. What he is in dire need of is a lesson in humility. And of how to value belongings. I'm willing to bet the godlies he received were bought for him and not earned. Sure, mebbe its just a game, but his attitude will only come back to bite him in the *** in real life.

shyaznxboy

Diabloii.Net Member
Reading the posts, I'll assume that none of you live in New York. Well, where I live, the "n" word is tossed around and used so loosely.. it has lost its value of offensiveness.

Hmm.. Would I have taken the trade? Yes, but I can't help being fair and asking him to lower it to one vex rune. I've done a lot of trades where I asked for less of the value of worth of an item. And if he had dropped it, I wouldn't have picked it up anyway.

dop_obo

Diabloii.Net Member
thewoodshed said:
The fact of the matter is the channels in an unstructured free-for-all. I think of it as the Old West. There are many victims, gunslingers and greenhorns. There is no "right" or "wrong" for the community- it just "is".

This brings to light personal standards. You are only as good as you act. Other peoples actions should have no bearing on this, however one's standards can positively influence another.

There is nothing "wrong" with what you done, however I would have acted differently:

To question #1: I would have made the trade, only after advising him what the true value of the item was. If he still wanted to give 20 Vex, then fine but I would have settled for a reasonable offer.

To question #2: When he dropped the axe, I would have picked it up and advised him how to solve his problem. If he wanted it back- that is fine, If he didn't, then I would return the runes minus the cost to shatter the mis-socketed runeword.

I have been in these situations before. I have made a few good decent buddies this way simply becasue of my choices, and I would like to think that my act of forthrightness influenced the people I effect ion a positive way, and then perhaps they will do so in turn.

'shed
A voice of reason amidst a wilderness of insanity. :clap: Funny how Bnet brings out the best and the worst in us...

I would have done the same for Q#1. I'm not as patient as you, however...once the cursing started I would have just left the axe lying and exited the game.

Usufruct

Diabloii.Net Member
shyaznxboy said:
Reading the posts, I'll assume that none of you live in New York. Well, where I live, the "n" word is tossed around and used so loosely.. it has lost its value of offensiveness.
I disagree. While it is used as somewhat of a friendly term in modern black culture, I would be willing to bet that a good deal of offense would be taken in certain situations where that word was used.

Mythreal

Diabloii.Net Member
Mythreal

You got an inexperienced person giving too many too easily gotten runes. An experienced person takes the 20 Vex temptation. Kid makes a mistake socketing. Never happen to any of you? It has to me. Kid curses and throws ax. Anyone here ever get mad and throw something? I have. Broke a wall once. LoL Experienced Guy takes valuable ax and laughs with others.

1.Greed is bad. Always settle for a fair trade. Don't rip ppl off.
2.Pearls are a waste to swine. If dad gives it, you don't value it enough.
3.We all learn from our mistakes. Ive stuck the wrong thing in the wrong hole.
4.Manners are important.
5.Treat others like you would have them treat you.
6.The good bad and ugly are all on b.net
7.Two wrongs don't make a right. Two ppl acting badly is just doubly bad.

zoey

Diabloii.Net Member
Mythreal said:
2.If dad gives it, you don't value it enough.
3.Ive stuck the wrong thing in the wrong hole.
Those 2 sentences just read really wrong together :eek:

But to answer the questions -

No, i would figure those vexes were duped.
But in a similar situation, i wouldn't have given back anything, simply because of the rudeness. If someone made the mistake and was more polite about it I may give his items back. But most likely not.

gods_pawn

Banned
warlock_666 said:
by the N word im assuming you mean the Racist N word?

In which case not only would i have made the trade and kept the zerk axe but i would have insulted him and trying to steal more stuff from him. Also if he ever let out where he lived.... wow he'd be in trouble.

(by the way i HATE HATE HATE racist sons of b**ches. There come lower in priority to me than the s**t i wipe from my *** every day)

So you are effectively discriminating against the discriminators? Hating the hater, because they hate? That does not make sense. Although you may not see their ideas as sense, you still need to acknowledge that the same freedoms that allow them to have their views are what allows you to have yours.

And no, i am not a rascist. I believe in absolute freedom for anyone, no matter how screwed up their ideas may be. Now if they start acting upon this hate in bad ways, that's a different story.

Mythreal

Diabloii.Net Member
Mythreal

Amen godspawn. 2wrongs don't make a right. If so and so has dumb beliefs I will steal from him and insult him and who knows what if I know where he lives. Some beliefs and behavoirs are stupid, but acting bad yourself doesnt help.

What the heck does racism have to do with this thread or diablo or anything. Sounds like someones pet peave to me.

gods_pawn

Banned
Mythreal said:
What the heck does racism have to do with this thread or diablo or anything. Sounds like someones pet peave to me.
i was simply addressing that whole "he said the 'n' word" thing, and was saying that because i foresaw some people accusing me of being a rascist for taking such a liberal view. which is ironic, i know but hey. welcome to america.

and being alive, for that matter.

EDIT: err wait, that wasn't aimed at me was it? :xtongue:

Wuhan_Clan

Diabloii.Net Member
If his Dad bought the runes for him on Ebay, he doesn't deserve them because of reasons already stated by other people.
If he was somehow smart enough or dedicated enough to find/trade for the runes by himself, AND figure out which runes to put in, I think he would be able to find out which order to put them in too. Nevertheless, we all make silly mistakes like that and yes, we all got mad. But we don't direct our anger aimlessly at someone else. Yeah, I've done some pretty stupid things in this game and I always curse myself for it. If the kid was not mature enough to handle the loss of 20 vexes + BotD runes, he isn't mature enough to be handling that kind of value in the first place, even if it is virtual value.

To answer the original poster's questions:

1.) Personally, I don't care if I am ripping other people off during trades, especially if it is a random person AND that person is offering the price. If someone came up to you and asked to buy your Geo Metro for $100,000, you take the money and ask questions later.

2.) At first, I always laugh to myself whenever something like this happens. A few weeks ago someone gave me something (can't remember what) for a Lem rune so he could make 'wealth'. In all his excitement, he inserted the runes Lem+Ko+Tal and then cried about his loss. (Just general comments about how it really sucked and how dumb he was) So I told him that I agreed that he was pretty dumb and then gave him another Lem along with a Ko rune and told him he couldn't act dumb anymore. We all feel sorry for people, but we also shouldn't unnecessarily do so. I gave him the extra runes because I am very wealthy and had no real need for the runes. Had I been poor, I doubt I would have gave him any consolatory items.
As for the kid, he told you to keep the axe and so you did. Whether he said it out of stupidity or anger is not your problem. Also consider this: lets say you switched roles and you were the one who lost the runes and axe. Do you think that kid would have gave you back the axe, even if you were not being offensive?

In general, I say it's survival of the fittest and the kid just wasn't very fit.