Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Am I'm giving up dmg for mf with my mf lite build?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by jlofman, Sep 12, 2010.

1. jlofman

jlofman IncGamers Member

Am I'm giving up dmg for mf with my mf lite build?

This is a build I made up a few days ago. There might well be a build like this, but I just looked at arreat and decided what I wanted and did some calculations.

I want mf, but wouldn't want to give up too much dmg. This is what I planned, I'll also mention why I chose what

Griffon (25 fcr and +/- lite dmg)
    Tal amu (mf and 20 fcr)
    Tal armor (mf and 20 fcr)
    Occy (mf)
    Spirit (only need 32 fcr here)
    chancies/frosties (I might need mana)
    Tal belt (mf and 20 fcr)
    Wts (mf ofc ;) )
    Soj
    10 fcr ring (needed to hit 117)

So just 260 or 300 mf from gear (chancies or not) then with gheed and a few charms/sockets, and I'm up to 350+.
    But am I giving away too many skill points, when I choose parts of the tal set here?
    Was thinking about switching the occy for an eschuta which would also free up a ring slot.

I would just need critique and thoughts here. I know all the possible items and that this is not be the best lite build, but I would need to know before I finish her, if she'll be too slow?
    And is mana a problem, always had insight with caster items before, but now I'll need to equip my merc with infinity.

Thanks for your help and input

2. michaeljay

michaeljay IncGamers Member

Re: Am I'm giving up dmg for mf with my mf lite build?

Don't worry about so much mf. Diminishing returns are brutal, and there's very little practical difference between 200 and 300. Regardless of anything else, Chancies can go.

You've proposed a cheap build, so why not just try it out and see how it fares? It's not as if, should this build bust, you'd have wasted a lot of runes acquiring some of the pieces. You already know that it won't be as fast as some of the other GGLOL builds out there, and only you can tell if its killing speed meets to your satisfaction.

3. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied Banned

i d personally stick with 105% fcr full tal rasha.

full set bonus of 15% -elr mass mf + tons of life are really sexy to me. last ladder season i had 25k lighting damage 350mf tal rasha sorc with 2.4k life (self bo from cta 5) and i couldnt really complaint about her.

4. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

^Agreed.

Though I would build with much more emphasis on killing speed if I were you, if I wanted more than 200 MF I'd certainly go with 105fcr full Tal's. 35% Spirit is a worthy investment here to free up 2 SoJ slots. With the MF from Tal's and Gheed's, you can facet your pieces (or Sol, whatever) since PTopazes will do almost nothing for you.

As for mana, if you have 900-1k mana after BO (very easily achieved with Tal's at base Energy) you shall be able to go around with minimal potting.

5. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Pure lite, if you're in tals, you might as wear it full. Otherwise, you're in uniques and runewords. My sorc hits over 44k lite and 15k chain lite. You can always utilize charms for additional mf, but in reality mf doesn't go far unless you're just looking for your holy grail of items. The majority of valuable items these days aren't really impacted by mf.

6. michaeljay

michaeljay IncGamers Member

Secks what's your build look like? How many lightning skillers do you have? I'm geared up pretty nicely and level 95, and I don't come near 44k lightning.

7. jlofman

jlofman IncGamers Member

But don't I need 117 fcr for lightning?

[edit] yes ofc, I understand how to reach 117, but I was just wondering, why ppl were talking about 105 fcr Tal soso's, when you need 117.
    Maybe I should do some calculations and actually run the char in hell for a while. Maybe it will inspire me to write a guide. "The thinking out of the box mismatch mf-lightning-sorc" :D

The reason I actually don't use Tals is because it's too easy. No fun ways to customize, just put on your Green gear, pick up a 35 fcr spirit and 2 sojs, and you're off. There is no mental challenge in that ;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  8. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied Banned

yeah, but then on TR on ll have to wear 35% spirit and mage instead of chances :D

9. SeCKSEgai

That's level 99 on SP 200 FCR 185 or so MF, but her inventory is basically all charms. I think its 8 skillers with torch and anni, soj, griff, viper, hoto, spirit, arachnid mesh, 2/20 fcr amulet. cta/spirit on swithc

Basically all points in lite tree down middle and nova maxxed. The only thing about 200 fcr is its hard to use anything else once you get used to it.

10. SeCKSEgai

Acquiring Full tal's still takes a bit of work (or luck). Too easy, I wouldn't say that, convenient maybe. But if you want to customize for mental challenge, why do you "need" to ask how to improve on the forums, doesn't that take away a bit from said challenge?

Outside of Full tal's you'll get the best performance assuming you can acquire or already have ready the gear. But until that's the case, Full Tal's is a solid choice for the mean time.

11. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

i wouldn´t worry to much about mf either. 150-200 are a decent goal and easily achieved without any sacrifices in killing speed on casters.
    however if ur merc wields an infinity almost every combination of gear will kill very fast
    for mfing full tals is not as effective as the tal armor amu belt shako occu combination imo

this was my old sorc last ladder. add a sixth skiller and replace gheeds with another one and u have 46+k. also u can always replace eshu with 2 sorc/3 light tree 3 light x mastery orb, that can get u up to 50+k

ThisIsVenice - vita-light-sorc: 42k dmg, 2.5 k life, 75 72 75 72 (lvl 91)
    eth eshu 3 23 -5 29 (-53 RBF) + eth cs cta 3
    griff -19/19 (-35 RBF iirc)
    amu 3 light 77 life
    wire 15/12 CoH
    monarch 13 ed spirit 34 112 8 + eth monarch spirit
    gloves 14 str low triple res
    arach
    soj/bk3 - same skin
    aldurs boots + random wt´s
    20 17 torch + 18 19 10 anni
    sk´s 34 31 29 26 23 + 36 gheeds
    some 18 life scs + 5fhr 10 light

eth ca infy
    eth forty
    andy

12. jlofman

jlofman IncGamers Member

Sorry, didn't mean to assault the tal build ;) Why I actually asked is because, there is so much knowledge here. No point for me to try every piece out and try to time my runs, when there probably already is a guy here, who can say "you'll suffer from the lack of +3 skills, because girffons +/- isn't going to cover that" or "I would actually use an eschuta instead of occy, because the +litedmg will really fast her up and free up an extra ring slot"

I have all the parts already (mentioned here) + infinity on merc.

Oh and yes, like some one pointed out, the real wealth isn't in uniques or sets, and I don't actually have to mf. But if I compare her with my mf-windy, the amount of "good" drops have increased. I seldom pick up the gold stuff, but I love the amount of rares that I find. Those baby's are cool and the reason why I mf ;)

One thing I forgot is the low life of sorc's. Can tele like a mad man, because when you find your self in a pack of those small exploding monsters, with mana burn you are going to die. Was teleing through act 3 yesterday and found myself in a pack of those small bombs. You shoot lightning, they die => you die. Instead I teleported on, which got me into the next pack where the small bombs had mana burn, resulted in the very nasty state of insta-death :D

This was what I was going for. Gave up the shako, because I never used a griffon before ;) plus the +25 fcr is really a monster here

13. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Actually, there are 2 reasons one would choose Eschuta's over Occy, the first one being to get rid of the annoying random teleport, and the second one being, as you said, more FCR.

+% light (or fire) damage is one of the crappiest mods ever. It adds up to your already monstrously high Light Mastery and ends up giving you a whooping ~3% damage bonus. That's why people prefer HotO to Eschuta's in most cases.

Standard procedure facing Dolls is to tele back away, and then run back a bit some more. This way, your merc will move in to engage the Dolls, the Dolls will move in to engage your merc, and you'll have ample breathing room to fry them from afar. Your merc doesn't take damage from Doll explosions, so don't worry about him :)

As for Manaburn mobs, you shall pop a blue pot as it keeps regening your mana gradually even if you get manaburned just after potting. If you juv (for mana anyhow; if your red bulb needs a purple you should hit a juv and a blue), the second the next attack hits you the potion's effects are gone. Run away from the mana burn mob and tele far away as soon as the icon becomes white again; Sorc's mana regen + blue pot's mana regen should make a 7-9 mana tele easy to achieve.

3 pieces Tal's vs full has been a long debate. The argument has always been 100MF, +1 skills and 10%DR vs [email protected], no random tele, 25%FHR and -15%ER. But as you replace Shako with Griff's, it becomes 50MF, 117bp (8.3% dmg increase) vs [email protected], no random tele, 25%FHR and a bunch of life.

Not a good deal imo, as small charms cap at [email protected] but 7%mf :)

Ofc, some people actually like the random tele, which part of why the debate will probably never be settled :p

14. redground

redground IncGamers Member

I personaly think that MF is useless. The chance of getting a good unique to trade is really low. I think it is better to look for socketables witch are easy to sell (even if it has smaller value)

15. jlofman

jlofman IncGamers Member

There isn't any good uniques :D the day I find a CoA, it will be with 1 socket and low stats. And I hardly ever pick up any gold items, if I happen to find something semi-useful I might save it, but all that worth-about-a-pul items I leave on the ground. Not because I have too much wealth and I would leave an actual Pul on the ground, but because I'm one lazy trader ;)

It's those yellow yummy rares I love, every yellow item can be worth a ton and it's fun that those are actually worth iding.

The yellow items are the true uniques of the game. So random and "endless" possibilities.

16. redground

redground IncGamers Member

I think the runewords are so overkilling that even high end rares are not that usefull if you can afford good runewords.

One thing i really like to ID are Tiaras, Diadems, Amulets and Rings. I aways wait for something like fcr, skills, resists, strg :).

I Wish there were rare charms, they should make it :(