Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Am I overreacting? (kinda rantish I think)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ThereIsNoTruth, Feb 17, 2004.

1. ThereIsNoTruth

ThereIsNoTruth IncGamers Member

Am I overreacting? (kinda rantish I think)

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while. Been sorta busy doing nothing here at college. Anyways, on to the topic. Here's the scenario: I have a girlfriend(she's 16, I'm 18, so you guys know) back home who I see once a week on the weekends, which isn't that bad a deal. We have been doing this kind of thing since October I'd say and most of the time, her parents are cool with it, although they won't let me see her twice in one weekend. Normally this isn't a problem, but here comes the weird part. It seems just for the **** of it they won't let me see her for at least 3 weeks. No idea why, they like me and everything (they told me so) and stuff like that, it just seems that they want to do it. I was alright with the idea until today when I realized how long it would be and such, and I've been generally frustrated about it lately. Am I taking this wrong or am I sorta justified? Thoughts, comments welcome if you want.

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Do they have a reason for you to not see her?

3. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Well, they are her parents, so they can do that if they want. You really can't do much about it unless you want to make things worse.
    But if they don't have a good reason, sounds to me like a control thing; they want to make sure you both know they are in control and don't even need a reason.
    It's arrogant and mean-spirited of them to not offer you some sort of explanation. Watch out for them, is my advice.

4. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Dunno...i think parents just like being a-holes on occasion...or maybe they're hoping for a change between the two of you...

5. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

Here's one of many conspiracy theories for you...

The parents are concerned about there daughter, and are realizing you are 18 and in college. Seeing someone once a week may not be enough for you. They decide that you can't see her for 3 weeks, thinking that either during this time you will find someone else and then there daughter can get on with her life instead of wasting time with you, as you will just find someone else later (during some drunken party). Or after the 3 weeks you go back to see her and you've "proven your love for her" and they let you see her more. Or something like that. Don't be too heartbroken if things don't work out. Theres plenty of other girls at college for you to date :)

6. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

You're in college, she's in high school. You're a legal adult, she's a minor. That's a volatile situation, I'd be careful and prepared if I were you.

7. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Yeah, put yourself in the shoes of the parents for a second. Your daughter is 16. Her boyfriend just went to college. Sure, he might have been a nice guy and stuff, but who knows what happened to him while he was away (I'm not implying that you're no longer a nice guy or anything like that). They're definately afraid of something, whatever it is.

I agree with the entire "proving your worth" thing. If after 3 weeks, you couldn't take it anymore and found someone else, her parents would be relieved since you apparently were not the mature young man they thought you were. If you really like the girl, 3 weeks is nothing. Tought it out. In the worst case scenario, she'll be out in 2 years.

8. ThereIsNoTruth

ThereIsNoTruth IncGamers Member

Yeah, after thinking for a while (playing UT2003 and listening to Slipknot) I decided that I was being selfish. I shouldn't worry about it because I still talk to her every night and such. I also remembered that I went through this kind of thing at the beginning of it all, so it isn't that big of a deal now that I think of it. And I don't think they don't want us together, they like me alot and know she's happy when she's with me, so it's all good from that standpoint. I know I'll live, and she will live too, lol. I know I don't want to lose her so I'm not gonna start anything up with them. I'll just let it sit and when I do get to see her again, it'll be that much better. Thanks guys.