Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Am I missing something about staff mods?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Ax2Grind, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Am I missing something about staff mods?

This is the helm I've had for some time and I don't know who dropped it. I thought it was nice and would come in handy for a Barbarian that had no hard points in those skills but plenty of bonuses, but just now realized something odd about it:

Jawbone Cap
    Defense: 59
    Durability: 18 of 25
    (Barbarian Only)
    Required Strength: 58
    Required Level: 30
    +2 to Natural Resistance (Barbarian Only)
    +1 to Battle Orders (Barbarian Only)
    +1 to Shout (Barbarians Only)

Now, I thought someone said four tiers was the widest span possible (with chances one tier above, one below and two below), which would make it impossible for any item having RLvl30 native skills to get any below RLvl12. This primal helm, however, has a span of five - Shout (6) to Natural Resistance (30). This is only one level from everything and I think I'd have gotten the gist of something like that (i.e. someone would've said 'it can't have any bonuses, just RLvl1 and RLvl30 natives are prohibited on the same item'). Am I loopy or did I just not understand the explanation?

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Not quite. The staffmod skills are broken into Tiers yes, but it's not 100% related to their skill levels. Shout, for example, is a Tier 3 skill, Battle Orders is a Tier 5 skill and Natural Resistances is a Tier 6 skill.

This means that it would certainly be possible for this item to spawn, if it's ilvl was 36 or greater. In this case, it would have gone up a single Tier (20% chance to) for Natural Resists, moved down 2 Tiers (10% chance to) for Shout and remained in it's current Tier 5 (50% chance to) for Battle Orders.

3. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Yes, take a look at how many of the barb skills that are available at each level (1,6,12,etc.) and you will see that it´s not 5 on each as the other classes have.

4. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Then the ultimate prebuffer helm, a echoing xxx of xxx +3BC +3BO +3Shout is possible? I'm drooling :D

5. Ax2Grind

How convenient

If tiers aren't directly related to native RLvls, then tiers are relatively irrelevent. I'd have a better chance of flipping a coin, and I'm certainly not going to memorize a new ordered list of skills based on some other arbitrary process.

OTOH, if Shout and select other skills are exceptions, then I think I could remember just those.

6. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

For all the other classes, the tiers work as you expect in practice. Each tier has 5 skills in it. Barbarians trees do not match the other characters trees. Barbarians do not have 5 skills for each level. They have:
    Code:
    level Skills
      1     6
      6     7
     12     4
     18     4
     24     4
     30     5
    The game is not programmed such that the the level requirement determines the tier. The game is programmed such that the first 5 listed skills are in tier 1, the next 5 are in tier 2, etc... For all characters except the barbarian, this works out to mapping each tier to the level requirement.

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I never realized each class (sans barb) had 5 skills at each level req. You just blew my mind, man.

8. Ax2Grind

Which is the higher tier?

Right, I noticed the Barbarian skill tree is skewed long ago due to the Masteries, {3, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1} when it's supposed to be some combination of {2, 2, 1, 2, 2 ,1} that coincides with the other two pages. So, how are Barb skills fractionalized: alphabetically, alpha-page, page only, or specifically written out?

9. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Combat, Mastery, Warcry, Left to Right. This is based on how they show up in the text files:

<---Tier 1--->
    126 bar Bash
    127 bar Sword Mastery
    128 bar Axe Mastery
    129 bar Mace Mastery
    130 bar Howl

<---Tier 2--->
    131 bar Find Potion
    132 bar Leap
    133 bar Double Swing
    134 bar Pole Arm Mastery
    135 bar Throwing Mastery

<---Tier 3--->

136 bar Spear Mastery
    137 bar Taunt
    138 bar Shout
    139 bar Stun
    140 bar Double Throw

<---Tier 4--->
    141 bar Increased Stamina
    142 bar Find Item
    143 bar Leap Attack
    144 bar Concentrate
    145 bar Iron Skin

<---Tier 5--->

146 bar Battle Cry
    147 bar Frenzy
    148 bar Increased Speed
    149 bar Battle Orders
    150 bar Grim Ward

<---Tier 6--->
    151 bar Whirlwind
    152 bar Berserk
    153 bar Natural Resistance
    154 bar War Cry
    155 bar Battle Command

The first column lists the skill number identifier for the skill. The second column lists who the skill is native too, and the third column is the skill. I put in the tier breaks for you.