Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Am I going to get turned inside out? v.helpwithmyzealerforuebers d

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by AveSatanasRex, Nov 3, 2006.

1. AveSatanasRex

AveSatanasRex IncGamers Member

Am I going to get turned inside out? v.helpwithmyzealerforuebers

I'm cautious about going after these uebers. I don't really play with people, but I want to tackle these guys... meaning I've got to solo it. (How could I trust a party of strangers with the torch I think I get afterwards?) I've had a zealer for quite a while which for a while was my favorite character. He fell out of favor when I'd done everything in the game so often and so easily that he wasn't a challenge. Of course then they gave us the new patch.

So I've got this level 87 zealer. First and foremost I think I want to level him to 90 before going against the big three. Aside from that, he's fairly well-prepared. Without any sort of BO, his life is something like 1500 and some change. I'm not sure what his base strength and dexterity is, but my block is maxed and of course I can wear everything. That everything includes, at this point:

Exile. It's made from a gilded shield for some reason, but it's still got all the Exile trappings (Defiance aura, resists, the works) of course.
    Chains of Honor. Made in a Dusk Shroud.
    TGods. This seems like a must have on just about any melee character for some reason. I think that reason might have to do with Burning Souls, which I can stand in a crowd of all day and not get particularly hurt.
    Gore Riders. You know ... for obvious reasons.
    Magnus' Skin gloves. Right, here's where I'll probably get hazed. Everyone says Dracs, and you might be right, but I put on Magnus' Skin when I tried using a Last Wish Zerk instead of the BotD. I wanted some IAS, and was already getting Life Tap from two other sources. At this point I'm not sure what to do about the gloves, but I want to keep my zealer swinging as fast as he can...
    Vamp Gaze. And an Um sits in it. Between the dual leech, damage reduction, and now the resists, I wasn't sure there would be any responsible way to go but this one. Correct me if I am wrong. (Kiras?)
    EBotD Zerk. This is basically a given for Zealers, I suppose, and there are plenty of good reasons, between the high damage, wunderbar IAS, life and mana steal, etcetra.
    Jewelry. I was using two Angelic Rings and the Amulet, but I swapped out one of the rings for a Carrion Wind when I tried out the Last Wish, in order to make sure I had enough life steal. With this set up, I'm looking at something like 7K AR, or close to it. Putting the second Angelic Ring back on makes that AR more like 11K. For PvP of course there would be no question here, but 7K seems to be enough to move about successfully in Hell PvM. As for the uebers... I don't know what kind of AR I'll need, but that's sort of why I'm posting.

So resists are solid in Hell. What I haven't done is gotten myself hung up in a Conviction aura lately, which is what I understand Ueber-Mephisto has? What kind of dip in resistances does his aura affect? I've read that between that aura and his lightning attack, an underprepared player will get more or less zapped in one hit. I'd hate for this to be curtains for my zealer. Naturally.

How do I proceed then? I gave up on the Last Wish axe when I found myself having to repair it after every Baal run. It wouldn't be such a huge deal ... Orts are easy to come by, and 300K gold is not impossible to pick up (in items) without any problem. But the damage was terrible; even with the Might aura I was down by some 1500 points' worth of damage every swing from the BotD. But the Fade aura was so nice, and I thought that it'd protect me against whatever Conviction aura Meph could have in store.

The jewelry is a problem too, because I'm really not sure what kind of AR I'll need to have a chance against the uebers. On one hand, I've never fought these things and really want to make a decent stand. On the other, it seems like things which should be somewhat difficult are easier than I'd have thought, especially with this guy. Even with his tiny life (1.5K) he tanks well, especially if I can keep swinging. The helmet question is the same way. The Vamp Gaze is cheap and an obvious choice, but since I get so much life steal from the BotD (not to mention if I use the Carrion Wind as well, plus what's on the CoH) is having the Vamp on superfluous? What should go there? More resists? Something with a Cham in it?

I don't really use charms with this guy as a rule. For the last few days, he's held a torch, and I've got a few small charms that bump individual resists by a few points, but nothing major. These are charms I've found and not had a chance to mule away yet. I carry nothing on switch, as I've yet to feel the need for the extra life a CTA would provide. One thought I'd entertained was putting the Last Wish on switch and swinging that around just long enough to get Fade casted. It lasts something like four minutes, so I could switch to the BotD for quite a while before having to "re-up" on Fade. But that would more or less necessitate finding another viable shield, which would be expensive. And by "expensive" I mean "probably not worth it at all."

Or maybe I should just build a smiter and not even bother with this zealer.

Anyway, I want to do well, and you all are the experts, so I'm asking. What do I need to do to make my build ueber-viable? Or... is it good enough as it stands?

Thanks, fellas.

BONUS QUESTION:
    Say I carry a torch on this guy, fight the uebers, and somehow manage to win. I understand that I cannot carry a second torch. What if I exit the game and re-join with a character that doesn't have a torch? Will I be able to get to wherever the uebers are (were) and pick up the unidentified one? Will one even drop if I've got one in the inventory? Should I rework my build a little bit in order to do away with the torch so I can just snag whatever drops?

2. bobofuzzlymunky

bobofuzzlymunky IncGamers Member

hmm... big post... as for the bonus question, yes i usually re-exit and get it with another char. (yes it will drop if you are already holding one) make sure you clear the area pretty well of minions if you plan to grab it with another char...

charms- allres/single-res/life charms are the only kind id use, maybe some high ar (30+) small charms

gear- what is REQUIRED for ubers is crushing blow. id say drop the gaze and get a cham'd guillames face (str,cb,good defense, looks cool) ^_^ id use either a last wish pb or the botd. pb= less dmg but more cb and speed (compared to ebotd) also, you need lots.. LOTS of AR to hit the ubers (mostly baal with his frozen armor)

my advice- try it, if it doesnt work o well, (you lost an organ set, whats the big deal? :p) make a smiter!

my smiter-

69res BASE/ Um'd Kiras (cannot be frozen, whopping 84 all res,fhr)
    Highlords ammy (+1skills/ias/lite res)
    Um'd Guardian Angel (read the mods on this, ridiculous)
    'Shael-Ber' Heaven's Light Mighty Scepter (check the mods, amazing)
    'Exile' Sacred Targe, *eth* - massive defense, with inherent +43res bonus
    Tgods- sorb,str, vit
    ravenfrost+dwarf star- sorb much?
    Draculs- Life tap, str.
    Goblin Toes- 25%cb!!! (none of the other mods on gores help a smiter, so 10%more cb> 10%less and some useless mods.
    5bocta/spirit on switch.

he prebuffs fade with treachery armor (MUCH cheaper than last wish.)
    has 95res already(without the fade) so hes got tons. his charms are a 18/19 pally torch (he found!) annihilus, res all charms, life charms.

but give the zealer a try. make sure you got cannot be frozen and at LEAST 75res! remember! cb=key to success against ubers.

ring advice- drop one angelic and pick up a good ravenfrost (cbf, dex,ar cold dmg)

ps- spelling suggestion- ubers! >_<

happy hunting! :badteeth:

3. kalvydas

kalvydas IncGamers Member

I do Ubers with zealer (1point smiter) alone in 5 players game.

My think:
    1) Grief as weapon is the best (in Phase blade is has enough IAS and is indestructable)
    2) Get one raven frost: can not be frozen will really help you
    3) For ubers its best to use Smite because when you are surounded with 15-20monsters and uber by your side, splitting hits on all monster wont help: just use smite on uber(you have at least 1 point in it and its enough) and ignore other minions
    4) whats where draculs come in : you need life tap and exile+draculs will give you 15% chance of life tap and you dont need to worry about others hiting you
    5) if you use smite on uber you dont need AR (so can change your ammy and other ring to better ones- i would put metalgrid and carrion wind)
    6) and get guillaume's face for CB
    All other stuff would be ok

BQ: yes the torch will drop as you kill all three ubers. Ater that you can rejoin with other char and pick up torch. Just make shure to be in a game at least 5 min, so it will be there as you rejoin

I have nice strategy how to separate ubers and do them easily (if interseted pm me)

4. AveSatanasRex

I appreciate your input, fellas. I have a question about smite though. Just to see what it'd look like, I turned on Smite with my Fanatacism aura, and my damage looks something like: 830-940. Is that right? You guys seriously kill uebers with this kind of damage? Or maybe I should just test the skill out and see what it's like.

So if I get a Guillaume's face, and put a Cham in it, should I keep my jewelry as it is then? (That is: Angelic ammy, Angelic ring, Carrion Wind.) I keep reading that you need oodles of AR to take on the uebers, but then, if Smite never misses...

5. AveSatanasRex

EDIT:

Okay, here's an idea. Say I keep the Carrion Wind in, 'cause I like the life steal so much. I ditch the Angelics completely. The other ring is now a Ravenfrost, for the Cannot Be Frozen (not to mention all the other good stuff, e.g. absorb) and I use Highlord's Ammy for the plus to skill ('cause now my Smite is over 1000 points!), not to mention the 35% lite res, and the Deadly Strike, whatever that is. So I've also got this Guillaume's face on (had one sitting around I guess) -- a Cham is unnecessary. Is Um good for this?

6. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Whenever I choose to do Ubers, I'd always like to have a friend help me transfer. This is to prevent any frustration in the event of a Realm Down while switching, etc.

7. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

You lack CB. A single gore with an Ebotd zerk isn't going to cut it. I recommend on getting a fast weapon with CB or switching your vamp for guil face.

As for speed concerns do not worry, the ebotdz will hit max speed regardless since it has 60 IAS and you will run max fana anyway.