Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

...am I doing these calculations correctly (and some other questions)?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by gibsonSG, Sep 22, 2006.

1. gibsonSG

gibsonSG IncGamers Member

...am I doing these calculations correctly (and some other questions)?

I'm trying to figure out how much dexterity I would need at level 99 for max block on a Kurast Shield (I will adjust according when spending dexterity points) and was wondering if I was using this formula correctly.

Total Blocking = (Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Level * 2)

75 = (55+35) * (x - 15) / (99 * 2) - However, "% to block" is capped at 75 (according to the Arreat Summit) so would it look like....

75 = 75 * (x - 15) / (198) - and rearranged...

75 = (75/198) (x - 15) - otra vez....

(75) / (75/198) = (x - 15) - giving...

198 = x - 15 - and finally...

x = 213

Dexterity needed for max block at level 99 would be 213? If I don't use the "75% cap" when considering my holy shield bonus and use 90% as my "chance to block" I would need 180. I think I did the math correctly, I'm just confused as to the cap concept - the Arreat Summit says it's capped, but online calculators I have used don't factor that in and I get the value of 180. Is this a lot of dexterity to be putting in for max block on a paladin even WITH the holy shield bonus (calculation was done assuming it's level 20 - I don't know how the diminishing effects work at levels past that; mine should be around level 27).

I was running the calculations on my Dreamdin for the strength and dexterity he would need and I found from base (with anni/torch/raven) I'd have to add 63 dexterity just to hold the GRIEF phase blade. From there I'd have to add either 77 or 44 dexterity for max block at level 99 (depending on the number you use). Is this steep or do even hammerdins and other paladin builds often end up spending ~50-100 points in dexterity for max block (after gear) too?

I also figured I'd need to add about 31 to my base strength (after charms/some gear) to get to use my next-lowest strength item. Is adding 31 strength and 140 dexterity to my base numbers a bit steep for this type of character? It doesn't look like too much in the long run compared to some other builds I've made...

2. xduckster

xduckster IncGamers Member

Blocking is based on the specific shield. I don't remeber what it is, but the summit says it's 55%.

Ok based on that we have:

Rearranging for dexterity we get:
    Dexterity = 15 + (((Level * 2) * Total Blocking)/Blocking)
    Dexterity = 15 + (((99*2) * 75%) / 55%)
    Dexterity = 15 + 270
    Dexterity = 285

Ok now lets add in holy shield or whatever else you have
    Dexterity = 15 + (((Level * 2) * Total Blocking)/Blocking)
    Dexterity = 15 + (((99*2) * 75%) / (55% + 35%(lvl 20 HShield)))
    Dexterity = 15 + (14850 / 90)
    Dexterity = 180

More likely is that you'll stop at level 95ish
    Here are the values for that...
    Holy Shield
    Level 20 = 35% -- Dexterity Needed: 173
    Level 23 = 36% -- Dexterity Needed: 172
    Level 27 = 37% -- Dexterity Needed: 170
    Level 34 = 38% -- Dexterity Needed: 168
    Level 44 = 39% -- Dexterity Needed: 167

3. gibsonSG

...ok - thanks a bunch. I suppose when they said "blocking is capped at 75%" they mean that the end result (i.e. what's on your screen) is capped at that - not what they have written in as "blocking" in the formula (not the "total blocking - which is 75% hahahaha).

To my second concern, are those numbers (for dex & str) too steep for a Dreamdin? I'd assume most builds probably put at least SOME base points into dexterity for attaining max block...

4. xduckster

I really don't know what's considered viable. Your playing online and have the runes to make a dreamadine. It shouldnt be too hard to get ahold of an anny or torch too so you need even less points in dex. Pally's are the easiest charachters to get max block with. If your using it to meele at all then you should for sure go for, no price is too steep.

5. gibsonSG

...I already did the calculations with my 19/13/10 anni, 14/20 p-torch, and everything else I'll be using and I found that in order to have the bare minimum strength and dexterity, I'd have to add 31 strength to my base and 63 dexterity to base to use GRIEF and another 107 on top of that (170 dexterity total) to get max block with level 27 holy shield. I want to kinda do PvP every now and then so I'm wondering if that's around what should be spent. That's taking away 138 stat points for getting max block and minimum strength to wear my gear. I already have every single thing I'm going to be wearing and I suppose I'm willing to "waste" a few extra points rather than spend the time, effort, and runes trying to get "perfect stat" torches and annis. I just wonder *how* much I'm "wasting" in comparison to others.

6. xduckster

A phase blade has a dex requirment of 136. To get max block at level 95 with a level 27 holy shield all you need 170 dex. That means 170 - 136 = 34 more points in dexterity. That translates into ~175 health (assuming your using a good CTA). That's all you would be "giving up" for max block.

You can't factor in any of the other stat points, you would be spending them anyways just to wear your gear. I was never rich enough to use any items like that, but I'm going to guess that any pally build using a grief would put in the few extra point you need to get to max black.

What would you be using if you decided to use something other than grief?

7. gibsonSG

I don't know - it's the only weapon I have in his stash (along with all of his other gear that he can't wear yet) other than a CALL TO ARMS crystal sword (which will probably be on switch with a spirit for the +skills). I just wonder about how many hard stat points most paladins put into dexterity just for comparison's sake. Adding 31 strength shouldn't be too bad either - if anything I'd rather use my CHAINS OF HONOR archon plate over a dusk shroud becuase that extra defense gets multiplied by my holy shield defense bonus. In this case, I'd gladly "misspend" a few extra stat points (other than having base str w/ low str armor) to get the extra defense that will be multiplied by holy shield. I'm sure I'll end up with plenty of life either way...