Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by totoro, Mar 23, 2004.

1. totoro

totoro IncGamers Member

Am I doing something wrong?

Hi All. Just started playing a few weeks ago. Currently, I have a lvl 48 bowazon. Still in normal as I haven't killed baal yet. I've noticed that during a baal run, everyone else seems to do more damage to the minions than I do, even tho they are a few levels below me. It takes me a long time to kill anything by myself, whereas it seems other players can kill with just a few hits. On my character profile, it shows that I do a damage of 95-150. However, my bow does 80 points of poison damage over 4 sec, so it seems most of the damage comes from poison. I have STR of 90, DEX of 150, VIT of 70, base energy. I have strafe up to slvl 17, about 5 points in pierce, about 7 in crit strike, and a few in valk and FA each. Attack rating is around 1100. I don't have any +skill items, although half my inv is full of charms (mostly resist).

Is amazon inherently weak, or do I just have ghetto items? I do not have any unique weapons, as I've read they are more common in nm and hell. I can't seem to get there as most people leave the game before killing baal. I'm not sure I can take on baal solo. (then again, i haven't really tried either). Any opinion is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Baboon

Baboon IncGamers Member

You don't seem to do anything wrong. The problem is an amazon needs a good bow and you don't have one. Very item dependent char (If using a bow). Personally, when I join a ladder or started new at bnet I always choose a non item dependent char like sorc, necro or trap assassin, to find some stuff to equip different chars.

I end up playing non item dependent chars all the time in fact ;)

3. Gorny

Gorny Banned

You may need a better bow, also Increased attack speed helps (IAS). It seems like you are not damaging as FAST as others are.Look for things that will increase your IAS. Shael rune socketed into your bow, IAS gloves(rare ones, Set Laying of Hands, etc.

4. spastik303

spastik303 IncGamers Member

LOL, ghetto itamz! (Sorry my friend refers to them as such and it is funny to see someone else call them that.)

That definitely seems to be a great part of your problem. Poison damage is fine, but unless you are making that an integral part of your build, it is really nothing more than a little bit of an extra punch. (Generally a slow one at that.)

Don't forget that a lot of these players are "twinked" to the max. (Have the best stuff to give their characters as soon as they hit the requirements.)

A bowazon is pretty dependant on her bow for killing speed.

Good bows you should try to acquire (for your level) are things like Buriza-Do Kyanon aka The noob cannon, Lycander's Aim,or my personnal favorite mid lvl bow, Kuko Shakaku. All of which I am sure you could get for nothing more than a bunch of Pgems or crafting runes/jewel. (All low lvl stuff you can easily find.)

At worse I recommend you try and buy a new bow from Larzuk. You should be able to find one that has decent base dmg. (The dmg listed on the bow)

Hope that helps a bit.

5. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Dont forget CHARMS CHARMS CHARMS. Especially if you plan on using Freezing Arrow. Each cold damage charm you have increases the freeze duration by 1 second. Lightning Damage charms are easy to come by and that will also help your damage output by quite a bit.

For now, be a utility player in baal runs. Use your slow missiles skill when fighting the first 3 waves of monsters and against other lightning enchanted monsters.

6. Asylla

Asylla IncGamers Member

Are you ladder or nonladder?
    If non-ladder, I "think" I have a Skystrike(?) or Kuko I can get rid of...

PM me and we can set up a way I know its you in game.

7. totoro

totoro IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks Asylla for the offer, but I'm on ladder.

8. Asylla

Asylla IncGamers Member

Well, that's cool. Especially since I didn't find out what realm... :eek:

9. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

i could use tat kuko asylla, if ur on east non ladder
    because i'm starting a new bowzon, currently lvl 8.

10. kanga_jay

kanga_jay IncGamers Member

What realm do you play on?

11. totoro

totoro IncGamers Member

I'm on US West, ladder.

12. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Don’t worry. I remember when I was a starter, end entered hell with a level 62 paly with a avg dmg 400, avg resistance bellow 20 and defense ~1000. They kicked my *** just like that.

Few weeks ago I found a rare pellet bow with a cruel modifier +353% ed, 20%IAS, and 20-45 cold dmg and something more, don’t remember. Damage 126-328. Find me a better one among the unique’s or sets. Perhaps a rune word could do better damage.Not bad, a?

I gave it for free, to a guy who was complaining that he could not kill anything. He asked me: Is this hacked?

You have to play for some time. Create a mf sorc and do Meph runs. In one month you will also be loaded with items. Time is the key

13. Asylla

Asylla IncGamers Member

OK, I will have to go through the mules...It may be just the skystryke or whatever... PM me here and we can set a time. Yes, I am on east, nl, sc.

Sorry about this veering off topic all!

14. ImmortalChicken

ImmortalChicken IncGamers Member

Seems your damage is pretty low. My pally does 1.5 k at lvl 48 (he's 49 now) without "godly" equipments. I've never played a bowazon, but are you sure you've put skill points and stat points in all the right places? There are plently of bowazon guides around that you can take reference to if you are unsure of where to put those points. Also, IMO You definitly need better equipment. I always think It's nice to play with plently of (real life) friends that you can borrow equipment from when you're just starting.

PS, I've got a nice exceptional unique crossbow you can have on East Ladder. If you want it, whisper me at ImmortalChicken or something, I'm usually on during weekends.

15. Dogboy

Dogboy IncGamers Member

I got a cliffkiller bow from my nephew many months ago when my zon was lvl 40'ish. She was still using it at lvl 85,when the new patch came out.She's now retired. If you do'nt have the very best stuff now, you won't get far.The patch totally changed bowazons.

16. Suryl

Suryl USEast Trading Moderator

Sadly, I agree that bowazons are more gear dependent. IMHO, for strafe you need a few things besides a decent bow - good ar (which you have), pierce (which you don't seem to have) and ias (increased attack speed). But you can get by with medium level gear.

I would suggest a witchwild string. It has 2% chance for amp, 2 sockets, level 20 magic arrow when fired normally, 40 to all resists, and an ever increasing chance of deadly strike. Plus when you get to a high enough level you can upgrade it on the ladder for more damage. And the best part is that you should be able to buy one for some perfect gems. :D I traded for one recently and it works just fine.

If you go with the wws, as a 0 speed bow you start at 13/3, you will need 37 ias for 10/3, 63 ias for 9/3, 86 ias for 9/2 or 105 ias for 8/2 (if you can go for this one). If you put 2 shaels in the sockets of the bow you are already at 10/3. As you level work your way into incorporating higher levels of ias into your gear.

Also try pierce. If you line up the monsters your ability to pierce can damage more monsters. Razor Tail is a nice belt for that, in addition to a few points in pierce (how many depends on your final gear).

Good luck.

17. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

Jeez is that for real?

You learn something new everyday - even if you have played for years :lol:

Chill

18. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Yes it's for real.

19. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I didn't know that either. I guess I will continue reading the newcomer forum not just for helping, but for learning as well :)