Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Am I A Nasty Person?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Sigus, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

Am I A Nasty Person?

I finally got the rest of the IK set of ladder and need 1 more lvl to be able to wear it. I entered a game call 'baal run' or what ever. They were killing shenk for the Q first so I join and killed him.

I knew I wanted my socket Q in my IK armour and went straight to get this done, as did another barb who was getting his storm shield done. How do I know this? Because he obviously didnt have enough room in his inventory and need the str bonus of the shiled its self to equip it... thus it dropped on the floor.

He panicked and tried to pick it back up. But he had no room... I did.

I have the guy's acc to wisper him and return it. But should I?

My questionis:-
    Is it his own fault, shiuld he have had more sense?

Or

Was I lucky and punish him by keeping it?

2. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Minor mistake. A decent person would return it.

3. rickster

rickster IncGamers Member

The guys an idiot for dropping something of value on the floor in the game with other people in it. But you should do the right thing and return it.

4. spuddogg

spuddogg IncGamers Member

Whatever the reason why he dropped it, you should do what you know your mama would tell you to do ... give it back.

5. Dabadonut

Dabadonut Banned

Well how would you feel if you were in that position? =\ Do the right thing man, give it back.

6. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Give it back for sure, so the guy is maybe a bit of a newb for making a stupid mistake, give it back to him and tell him the mistake he made if he didn't know any better.

7. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

i would keep it because if i made that retarted mistake i wouldnt get it back.

8. Deepfriedspam

Deepfriedspam IncGamers Member

Sooooo..... just be as bad as the bad crowd? great reasoning there. I would rather be screwed over repeatedly, have no items of note because of being screwed over, and have a reputation for being a cool and trustworthy player. The cutthroat nature of many players out there sometimes disgusts me to the point of quitting. :rant: :grrr: :grrr:

9. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

not as they have done unto you

give it back, definitely, it was stupid, but its happenned to alot of people, that kind of thing you give it back

heh, one time I joined a game and there were 2 other guys there, one at stash and one waiting for him

the one at stash brings up trade window and puts up a duriel, storm, & some other pretty useful crap, then pushes trade button *yoink* I accept and run away giggling, that was alot worse, he thought I was the other guy and didn't bother to check character name or anything, THAT was stupid, I didn't steal off the ground, I had crap accidentally given to me, a kind gift, and I didn't return it, but you took something of his that he did not intend to drop, and you should return it

10. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Do the right thing and give it back. The realms are already filled to the brim of low minded cut-throats...don't count yourself among them. Rise above it and go the high road. One less jerk in the world really does make a difference.

-X

11. alainpp66

Ash, that's no better than what Sigus did.

Either way you guys took items that weren't intended for you. At least Sigus has the opportunity to rectify it.

12. Ash Housewares

some idiot gave me a bunch of free stuff vs. a guy got screwed by an annoying quirk of the game and someone stole his item off the ground

all I did was agree to trades, I didn't steal, I accepted

13. alainpp66

Keep telling yourself that, Ash.

14. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

It's hardly a matter of sense. The issues of str/dex requirements in equipping items is practically a bug in Diablo 2. It's bad programming that the game didn't re-equip the item where he took it from, as human intuition would suggest to us would happen. Does this involve common sense? No. Does it involve inexperience with the (faulty) game mechanics? Yes.

Were you lucky? Luck is killing Pindleskin and getting Tyrael's Might. The game rolls some random numbers, and those random numbers in your favor. However, profiting directly from the misfortune of others when you could easily rectify their misfortune is not "luck". There are other words for that, "greed" being amongst the most common.

So really, the only question that needs to be answered is: Do you feel that you're important enough to assume the authority of "punishing" other people for inexperience? You and I and everyone else here know that he'll learn from this mistake whether you make him suffer or not. Perhaps making him wait a short while will allow you to drive home any sort of lesson you were hoping for, if you're really inclined to be the world's teacher, as it were. But really, if the premise of "education" is your motive, and you truly believe that you're doing the world a favor by punishing, then sell the SS to Charsi and be done with it. Otherwise, you're just rationalizing greed.

The world we live in is too often marked by people or groups who feel it's their right to profit from misfortune. Sometimes, they go so far as to rationalize that God is smiling upon them for their divinity, and punishing the unfortunate for their other wrongs. This is not the path to a better world. Do your part, and do what you'd probably even ask someone else to do if they were in your position.

15. Ash Housewares

I only told myself once, I stumbled into good fortune!
    I'm only guessing what the other guys were up to, I can only assume they gave me free crap by accident, maybe he was just really nice :uhhuh:

16. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

I can't even begin to imagine what Ash is thinking when he tells this story. He leads in with a suggestion that the poster do the right thing, and then proceeds to tell you about a moment when he was a complete jerk... and then tells us that what he did was okay and completely different from this new situation. Am I not reading this correctly?

When I first read his post, I thought he was offering it as an analogous situation that he's since felt some regret about. Subsequent readings led me to feel differently.

I think Ash has no real intention but to tell us about a time when he screwed someone, and is littering the discussion with mixed signals just as a matter of convenience. If you're going to do that, why even bother with attempting to fit your story into the context of the parent post?

17. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

lol thats the way i read it, something along the lines of:

"Do the right thing
    Here is an example of me being a cnut
    I don't think i was being a cnut"

And to the original poster - do you really need to come to the forums to find the answer to this simple issue?
    It's a game, played for fun, what's all the "teach them a lesson" krap all about?

In short - /w him, and give it back.

18. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Well I'm kinda on Ash's lvl also...I mean in the SS question yes I would give it back...becasue more than likely the guy would be like, "omg, plz give it back, my stash was full, and it dropped out"...and of course I woulda gave it back.

But if I were in another situation where an SOB was making comments..or said anything remotly wrong in my direction...then i would think of as a gift from the gods, and keep it.

So if this barb were to say..."****ing *******, give it back"....then hell no, I would keep it. But by him surely being grateful, and having feeling so stupid as in he dropped it, then yes I would return immediatly.

all depends on the situation.

but we all know, how this woulda been if it were reversed...so really it is his misfortune, and if his conscience could handle it..then by all means keep it.

19. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

Well the guy is off line at the moment. Im still in 2 minds what to do here. I know alot of people say they would return it... but Im not sure many ofyous really would.

As for it the guy was being a jerk. He called me a n00b cos I pciked it up ie 'give it bad n00b' 'Ill hack your account if you dont'.... these are the wispers I got while posting the first time. :lol:

20. rickster

rickster IncGamers Member

Nice post but pindle can't drop Tyrael's Might.:D