Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alternate to pit?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Quietus, May 8, 2005.

1. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Alternate to pit?

I'm aware of the different level 85 areas, so I don't need a list of them... I'm asking, actually, about one area in particular. The Ancient Tunnels.

I made an orbsorc, can clear the place in a solo game in under three minutes easy. I'm just wondering, is there any reason that the Pit is better than the Ancient Tunnels? They're both level 85, but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything important. Can't remember the TC of the various monsters there... not sure how much of a difference that'd make, anyway.

Any information is appreciated, thanks

~ Ed

2. Rastaputin

Rastaputin IncGamers Member

i'd say they're about equal for most players. for a cold sorc the ancient tunnels are a far better option, obviously because there aren't any 'stock' cold immunes spawning there. i guess people prefer the pit because a) it's in act 1 b) it has two levels c) thus the monsters are easier

3. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

ive never run ancient tunnels but i assume that there are skeletons there, so melee chars/bowazons would prefer leechable enemies. could be better for your sorc though.

4. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Actually the only skeletons are skeleton magi with charged bolts, and they comprise maybe 1/4 of the monster population when they show up. A melee char would be able to do just fine down there, if they had good poison resist to deal with the ... I can't remember what they are. the zombies that release gas clouds when they die.

I think, what I like about Ancient Tunnels the most is that it takes me about the same amount of time as Meph, ever since they instituted the 'Durance of Huge', as I've seen it called. It's nice to go into a place and go "Okay, I'm going to wipe this map clean".

Out of curiosity. I know uniques can drop any set or unique item in the game, since they're level **. Is it also possible for Zod to drop? If not, what's the highest rune that can?

5. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

They can drop all runes :)

6. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

isnt the pit somewhat easier to find ? u just have to fallow the path. tunnels could be anywhere, so pit may have a little speed advantage, right ?

7. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Ancient tunnels have better props, highest rune for pit props is Vex, but Ancient Tunnels props can drop Ohm and Lo as well.

8. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

The Pit is always easy to find. Take the Outer Cloister (iirc) waypoint and backtrack outside to the Tamoe Highland. The path will split into two and one goes back to the previous area and the other will split to the Pits.

If you play Single Player then it's always static.

Ancient Tunnels can be very tedious to find if you don't have a static map. Even if you have a static map it's not shown/revealed so you just have to remember where it is.

9. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

actually pits can drop to lo, and act 2 can drop ber i believe

10. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Nah... For props in hell it is:

Act 5 can drop all runes
    Act 4 can't drop Zod
    Act 3 can't drop Cham and Jah
    Act 2 can't drop Ber and Sur
    Act 1 can't drop Lo and Ohm

Not that I have ever found higher than Vex anyway, so I don't have statistical proof of this ;)

11. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I'm not sure what you mean by props, but I assume you mean the normal areas in each act (excluding mlvl 85 areas). If I remember correctly, all monsters in mlvl 85 areas can drop up to a zod (ATMA seems to confirm this).

Interesting, ATMA also seems to indicate that the monsters in the plains of despair (Burning Souls, Doom Casters, Corpulent, etc) can also drop a zod rune, along with monsters from the Outer Steppes (Cliff Lurker, Doom Knight, Flesh Spawner, etc). Also, some monsters in Act 3, Upper Kurast (Cantor, Thrasher and Zealot) also seem to be able to drop a zod.

12. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

props ~ chests, skeletons, ...
    Monsters can drop Zod in high-level (85) areas, while the chests can't drop Zod in Act 4 and lower. It's not a big deal anyway for the chests in Pits 2 and Ancient Tunnels.

13. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I must admit, I've never heard that term before :D :/ My mistake.

14. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

I'm sorry to contradict you, but yesterday I dropped my first HR from the beginning of the new ladder season. It was an OHM, and it was in Act 1 Pit :clap: !

15. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Props are all item dropping stuff on the map. except for racks and chests.

16. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

But helvete's statment about runes is true for chests too, isn't it?

17. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

why isnt anyone doing chest runs, like in lower kurast with a cold sorc, so they can kill all the monsters and can open all chests there, there are quite a lot in tunnels, anyways a lot more then in pit. So that area drops more items, statisticly, so more chanche of good items wright ? So it has an advantage over the pits there IF im correct, prolly not :)

18. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

afaik chest runs are made quite often

specialy in single player where you can kill all monsters on players 1 and then open all chests on players 8

( which some people consider cheesy :p )

19. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Woot, seems I've managed to find an area that seems to have a significant advantage over the pit. :D Makes me happy, since as I said my sorc clears it in like two minutes, two and a half minutes. It's great.

As for finding it - it's not all that difficult, as a sorc. I have 70% fcr on her, didn't feel it was worth the mf sacrifice to hit 105. (For those who're wondering - 20% from tal trio, 20% ist'ed lidless, 30% ist'ed occy :D) and she just flies around the lost city. She's got about 1350 mana with no CtA, and literally cannot run out of mana just by casting. I've tried. Teleporting, occasional spamming of frozen orb... nothing makes me run out. With my teleport speed and complete lack of worry about whether I'll run out of mana, I can find the entrance to the tunnels quite easily.

Now... if the Tunnels are better for the number/quality of props. Is there any reason that the Pits are better aside from knowing exactly where they are?

:: Edit :: Just in case anyone's wondering, I've found the easiest way to find the Ancient Tunnels is to teleport-circle the outside walls of the Lost city, and when the little broken buildings start to show up on your map, explore them. The entrance to the tunnels always appears near to one of these building-clusters.

20. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I always alternate between Flayer Dungeons and Pits. Pits can drop anything, but Flayers has the best chance for all kinds of highly sought after items of a slightly lower level dropping and the drops on the way there aren't bad either. Get Atma. Look up a lot of the more popular socketable armors.