Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alternate Browsers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Steel_Avatar, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar Diabloii.Net Member

Alternate Browsers

First off, please, please, please, PLEASE do not scream FIREFOX RULEZZZZ!

I know it's good. I use it normally. But I'm trying out Opera 8.0 (non-ad version), and I'm wondering what people think of it as a browser.

2. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead Diabloii.Net Member

*whispers quietly: firefox rulezzzz!*

3. 220683

220683 Diabloii.Net Member

Opera is fine, personally I don't like its UI. Also the number of incompatible websites are higher than IE and Firefox, so depends on the sites you frequent you might not be able to browse few of them with Opera.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Brookes Talk is nice if you need one that will talk to you.

Rapid Browser XP is worth a shot.

27 Tools-in-1 Wichio Browser I didn't find it suited for daily use but fun none the less.

32bit Web Browser has an interesting take on bookmarks.

If you are just wanting to compare features of the other browsers and not really looking to change your browser check out Omniweb for OS X. I am writing a paper on alternatives to IE right now for English so I have tried out a bunch of browsers, so far Omniweb is in first and then Firefox.

5. plasmo

plasmo Diabloii.Net Member

IE good, Firefox bad
    editing HTML (gogo Notepad)
    ftp
    yahoo games (chess, poker, etc)
    proprietary email server works better with IE
    new windows in Firefox load blank rather than with the same page
    mouse-wheel scrolling goes farther down the page in IE (easier to read long articles)
    Firefox pages more likely to not load because of time out
    Firefox occasionally stops and has to be 'nudged along' by going to another site in a different window

Firefox good, IE bad
    prevents way more pop-ups than IE
    no spyware, etc that I got with IE

Firefox good
    extensions (ForecastFox, StumbleUpon, ieview)
    themes (skins)
    latest headlines
    search engines

Firefox bad
    takes longer to load because of extensions and such
    number of hours wasted using StumbleUpon

Total number of other broswers I've tried since Netscape 1.0 back in 1990 or whenever

Personal usage
    Firefox 99%, IE 1%

If Omniweb can't be used on Windows XP
    Omniweb = nice paint job on a broken down Ford Pinto

6. Savage

Savage Diabloii.Net Member

I have FireFox completely customized to my preferences. It does everything I need it to. IE is certainly not better for anything that I do, unless it's accessing pages that FireFox can't, which hasn't happened in a long time.

7. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar Diabloii.Net Member

Not to be ungrateful, but the whole damned point of my saying "Don't tell me how good Firefox is" was because I already ****ing know. I'm asking about Opera.

8. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 Diabloii.Net Member

I never tried Opera.

I use Mozilla. There's also Internet Explorer (which I use if Mozilla f* up) and Firefox, so I don't really see why I should PAY for a browser.

A friend of mine is using Opera, but he's feeding his own "ads" to the ad-version...

Personally, I don't really see what a browser could do to make it worth paying for --- I use Mozilla because of the Tabs, but I could still use multiple windows if Mozilla would cost money.

9. Newman

Newman Diabloii.Net Member

I've tried Opera and FF, personally I prefer FF. It just works better for me, personal preference.

10. Beowulf

Beowulf Diabloii.Net Member

I use to be a huge Netscape user from about 10 years ago then for about 2 years I used IE but about 10(? don't remember exactly) months ago I started using Firefox and have not looked back.

11. Geeno

Geeno Diabloii.Net Member

No, Steel they have a point.

With firefox I havent seen a pop up or any annoying crap since I got it.

:clap:

12. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

...the point of this thread is to give suggestion other than firefox...and 90% is still firefox...yeah, there is a point, but non-relevant to this thread nonetheless.

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

If you only want Opera info, here's my take. It is Firefox with mouse gestures and voice commands. That's it. The render engine is nearly identical in terms of final product and overall pages load just about the same speed. Opera's claim to fame of "Fastest browser on Earth" is kinda misleading. Yes you start seeing content faster, but you use more CPU cycles to get it done. It does the exact same thing Firefox hack of about:config does, you see stuff faster but you see all of it later.

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

I've got a friend who swears by Opera. He loves the mouse gestures, and that's why he won't switch to Firefox.

15. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Care to explain "mouse gesture" anyone?

16. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You move your mouse in a certain pattern and it will close a tab or open a new window. Personally I find them to be slow and inefficient, I prefer keyboard shortcuts. Some people just love using that damned mouse though.

17. nrabbit

nrabbit Diabloii.Net Member

i really like opera. really nice

18. ozz109

ozz109 Diabloii.Net Member

Last time i used Opera i didn't get on with it wether it was the UI or not i don't know, I also tried Maxathon and others but neither felt as comfortable as Firefox, I would suggest to try out several of the alternatives and see which you get on with best. Some to try out K-Meleon Maxathon Avant.

19. plasmo

plasmo Diabloii.Net Member

Um, Firefox has mouse gestures. In fact, there are multiple extensions for them in case you don't like how one works, and I know at least Mouse Gestures is customizable (you can change current gestures, create your own gestures, etc).

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?application=firefox&category=Navigation

All-in-One Gestures 0.12.4
    easyGestures 3.0
    Mouse Gestures 1.0

And a quote from the user comments: "Very good work! I currently using FF and Opera and almost only reason for to stay with Opera was their embedded mouse geastures. Now, with this extension, I realy think to uninstall Opera away."
    [I'd make fun of his grammar, but if he's foreign, then I'd feel bad about it. Kinda like when I made fun of this moron working at McDonald's until I learned she had been abused as a child and moved around multiple foster homes. I don't need that on my karma, thank you.]

There are no advantages unless you like talking to your computer or unless you think it's cool to use something just because it's not mainstream (in which case you should probably readjust your values rather than switch broswers)?

20. Nword

Nword Banned

My favorite part of Firefox is the bookmarks toolbar... Using the small custom icons that many sites have, you can get 33 or 34 different websites on that toolbar... :)

http://www.geocities.com/gertlex/FIREBOOK.jpg

I've used IE, AOL (only on other ppls' comps, it's worse than IE), Netscape 4 - 7, Mozilla, Firefox, and Safari (for Macs only)... Firefox is also better on Windows than on Macs, IMO, because Mac version doesn't utilize the website icons...

Did I mention I have a Firefox hat? :cool:
    http://www.mozillastore.com/products/clothing/hat