Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alrighty need some help (Dealing with External HD)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Feb 17, 2004.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Alrighty need some help (Dealing with External HD)

Ok so I just got this and I put a 120gig Western Digital HD in it. Now I have a few problems. The drive does spin and lights up, but niether my laptop(running MacOSX 10.2.8) or my crappy desktop (running Windows ME) will recognize it. When I go into disk utility for my laptop the drive doesn't come up at all. When I try adding it through new hardware in ME it will recognize the drive but then say there is a problem. When I try to see what the problem is the computer locks up and then restarts.

Now I would like to just have this be a plug and play drive but if I can only get it to work on one system I want it for my Mac. So all the computer gurus out there help me out on this one.

NOTE: Yes all cables and connections are snug.

Thanks for all your help.

2. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

Could you give more details on what the error message states in Windows? I know you said it locks up, but whatever additional info you can post whould be helpful. If you can afford it I'd suggest upgrading to WinXP, just for general stability, ME was one of the more buggy versions of Win from what I understand (never ran, ME 98se --->WinXP Home--->WinXP Pro).

I can't help you much with the Mac, I try to stay away from those :)

3. Lithium

Lithium IncGamers Member

There's 2 cables, obviously the power cord is on but what about the the connector to the mainboard? Check it. Also make sure the jumper settings are correct.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Ok now I need Durf or some other Mac person. I have it up in OSX and it is not on the desktop but in disk utility....what do I do from here?

5. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Mount the partition(s) on the drive? Not sure if OS X hides mounting from the user or not.

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

When I try and do that it says there is only 47.78 gigs on the drive. Now I am even more confused than before.

7. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Probably because there's only a partition that large on the drive, try creating another partition, or enlarging the current one.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Did you download the drivers off of that page and install them? I would recommend trying to plug it in to the Mac with just the OS base drivers; I've never had a problem with a firewire HD in OS X and I've never had to download manufacturer drivers since I left OS 9.

When it shows up in Disk Utility, is the button on the top of the window that lets you mount it grayed out? Or can you mount it from within there?

If it's a brand-new HD, have you formatted it yet? If you want to use it on just the Mac, then you should format as HFS+; if you want to use ti on both, then use a Windows machine to format as FAT32, which can be read by the Mac as well.

Other than that, just troubleshoot and hope for the best: Check the cables, make sure it's plugged into the wall too (2.5" disk enclosures can run off of firewire bus power, but 3.5" enclosures need more power), maybe try the case with another HD that you know works to see if the HD is faulty or if there's a case problem, try it with both USB and firewire to see if there's a connection issue on your computers. Good luck!

9. Mystik

Mystik IncGamers Member

I'm having a similar problem with a burner. I plug it in, and everything is fine. The burner doesn't show up in my computer and if I run the program, it's like it's not even there. I can't select the writing speed or anything.

Any tips?

10. Sp4rtacus

Sp4rtacus IncGamers Member

stop touching yourself at night.

next question?