Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alright serioulsy guys, this wans't cool

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nnndave, Feb 7, 2004.

1. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Alright serioulsy guys, this wans't cool

OK get this one.

Alright guys, I undersdtand hazing the pledges, bonding and all that busininess. Its a good idea and it works. We look out for each other and leave no one behind. This is what I don't understand though: Thworing you down the stairs because your too drunk to remember the EXACT names of the founders of the national chapter. This guy's in the hospitol now because he broke his wrist. If it gets back to the university the whole chapter will get banned form campus for 2 years.

Dude seriously that wasn't too cool. I cain't even see the computer screen. I'm gonna pass out on my desk.

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Wow, first the shower thing, now this. You have a nice life.

3. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I don't think it's him cuz he's supposed to be in the hospital.

4. Akira

Akira Member

Pretty legible considering you can't even see. Tell your buddies to stop being stupid heads, there's no way around that not being a stupid headed action.

5. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Is there going to be a lawsuit? I'd imagine if someone broke my wrist because they threw me down the stairs, I'd be inclined to force them to pay my medical bills.

6. BooblestheDorf

BooblestheDorf Banned

That's all they got for forgetting the names? I would have flogged him like a dead horse until he was begging for mercy. He would have cried like a little girl by the time I was done with him for such heresay. I sure as hell don't blame them for doing what they did, he fully expected such a reaction, and if he didn't, he had no right in trying to join a frat in the first place.

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Physical injury for something as stupid as that is ridiculous. Stop trying to sound tough. It's not working.

8. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

There's a reason there are Anti-Hazing laws in 42 States (exceptions: Alaska, Hawaii, Michigan, Montana, New Mexico, South Dakota and Wyoming).

The reason. Hazers are ½ wits who don't know where to draw the line.

There's a whole world of difference between pledging, an initiation ceremony, bonding activities and Hazing.

It's a ceremony that had it's place and used to be acceptable. Unfortunately in some instances it's goes way too far. No-one should ever ever be physically or mentally damaged in any way in order to be deemed 'acceptable'.

Mentally and physically challenaged - yes.
    Pushed to their limit - maybe. Unfortunately, most of the people doing the pushing have no idea what they are doing and some of them are mild sadists who get a kickk of of the control they exert.

There's also the mob mentality when they all encourage each other - I think the hazers bond more than the hazees in those situations.

http://www.stophazing.org/

/rant.

9. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

Hey nnndave,

How about I email TCU and ask them if a student has fallen down stairs and broken his wrist in the past 24 hours?

How about I tell them that it was a hazing incident?

Think that'll help?

10. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

Hazing- great way to "look out" for a each other. Hazing and bonding, two great, similar activities. If you find me trying to join your club, please try to see that I'm left behind.

If he gets back to the university? As opposed to what? Quitting out of humiliation?
    When you say the whole chapter will be banned for two years, what exactly does this mean? Sounds like this fraternity (this is fraternity activity, right?) should be dispanded permanently.

I'm not sure what to make of your state of being. Are you drunk? Or rather shaky/light-headed from experiencing this poor chap's misfortune?

11. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Heh... no, not very cool.

I think everyone should be grateful he only broke a writs.

I don´t understand hazing at all. Why would someone surrender their dignity to be admitted to a club of any sort?

Kawaii, if you read this... You´ve told me that you´re going to Forsmark. I would have told you to try to get into Fyrisskolan in Uppsala if it hadn´t been for the following hazing incidents there.

1. Guy gets stripped naked and duct-taped to a railing in the basement, where he spends the night before someone finds him the next morning.

2. Guy gets duct-taped to a shoppingcart and thrown in the river. Drowns. (I swear to God, it´s true!)

3. A friend of mine was shown a big, black trashbag, stripped naked and blindfolded. The hazers told him they were going to pull the black trashbag over him and cut a hole for his face and then walk him around town. What they did was, they switched the bag for a translucent one...
    Now, that´s at least semi funny since my driend just laughed it off, but someone else might have been totally devastated by it.

Hazing is stupid even when not taken to extremes.

12. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Considering how many frat houses are out there, the rate at which stories like this arise should tell you something.

I can't say how things work anywhere other than my own frat house back when I was in it, but when I was a pledge I remember the brothers would always stage these events and try to scare the snot out of us by making us think it would be something really terrible. Then we would actually get there and it would be something very tame and lame such as you might see on one of those Nickelodeon game shows. You know, relay races through oatmeal with food dye and with "safety guys" on either side at all times to make sure no one slips and gets a boo-boo. It was extremely silly (not humiliating) and we usually ended up laughing ourselves hoarse before the festivities were through.

Another little ritual we had was having to rattle off memorized information while people were yelling at us. Sound stupid and pointless and it was, but I had lots of trouble with public speaking before that, but never since. It fulfilled its purpose.

Again, I don't know what normal frat houses are like. My frat house was at an engineering school and had more in common with Revenge of the Nerds than Animal House, but we had a specific control mechanism for keeping any of the hazing activities from getting out of hand.

You see, pledge fathers (who are the most likely to do the hazing) were not allowed to paddle (or in any other way hit) pledges. But after the pledge semester was over, any former pledge could paddle his pledge father. Whether or not this paddling happened and how severe it was depended on how the pledge was treated. This control worked very well and kept everyone in line far better than any school rule (most of which we ignored) or risk of getting in the news (which young people almost never take into consideration). We had other control mechanisms but no need to bore you with those details. The paddling was probably the most effective control anyway.

I'm pretty sure the idiots mentioned in this thread had no such control mechanisms and they deserve to get disbanded. Any group willing to hospitalize future members doesn't deserve to remain a part of campus life.

13. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

No harm done. Turns out he just sprained his wrist, it isn't broken. He didn't even get pushed down, he fell cause he was so drunk. They don't haze here, its illegal. What underseer said, its mostly just silly games.

14. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I see, so they don't beat you, but they'll give underage kids enough alcohol to fall down stairs and make idiotic rantings over the internet. Sounds like a super fun bunch of cats! Boy, I miss college.

15. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Yes, me too. Somehow, I did all right there, but I remember my brother getting straight A's throughout high school, being accepted to every college he applied for, being sent to one. I remember my Dad taking on an extra job just to help pay my brother's way through. I remember my brother getting kicked out eventually because it became a drunken drugfest instead of a learning experience, and the look on my father's face when he found out.
    Go go guys, have fun.

16. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Haha, nnndave, that was the weakest coverup I have ever read.

17. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Heh, good call 'Boosh. Hope none of his brothers come to the OTF.

I remember when I was asked to join a Frat. The look on the dude's face when I laughed at him was beautiful. He got a bit upset when I asked about their date-**** techniques. Frats don't do too well in Eugene, too many long-haired free-thinkers :)

Do your own thing. Be different, be a conformist, join a Frat.

18. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Yeah, love the Greek system :rolleyes:

19. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

I just love the stereotype. Thats what people always instantly think. "Oh, that guy's an *******, he's in a frat". Talk about being judgemental.

I despise the date rapers. I don't know what frat you are talking about but around here you get your *** severely kicked for even laying a hand on a girl who is out of her mind. Each chapter is different and each school is different.

I know some people are like that, but i'm far from it. Don't give me that stigma.

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Actually, I thought you were an ******* before long you told us you were in a Frat :p

Don't flatter yourself, my friend. I was speaking from my own personal experience. What you do with your life is absolutely no concern of mine.