Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alright, retrying this fury/rabies idea

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Quietus, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Alright, retrying this fury/rabies idea

Alright... so, I had my wolf rushed, started leveling him... and realized, after a quick test on single player, that I didn't like how I intended to build him.

I'm running on nonladder, so options like grief, phoenix, fortitude and whatnot are all unquestionably out of the question. I'm thinking this guy would make a nice pvp'er, based on what I've heard. My key gear is :

Fury Fanged Knife
    Carrion Wind

FFK for the speed (it's quite decent), and Carrion for the poison creeper. Now, my problem is that it's been suggested that dex effects knife attacks, at least with a fury druid. This does seem to be the case, so.. here's my first question.

What is the damage formula for a wolf with a knife?

I was considering using CoH for his armor. There are just too many mods there that are nice to turn it down. On the other hand, Bramble could also be used. It'd relegate me to fighting melee chars most the time, but that's manageable. My other pvp char is mainly for casters, so I don't mind so much.

From what I hear, Deadly Strike is the key to a FFK fury druid. Lance Guard has been recommended as a sheild, for it's 20% DS. So, my gear would then look like :

FFK /w lance guard (Shael'ed)
    Jalals
    Dracul's grasp
    Gore Riders
    Armor - Bramble or CoH?
    Belt - no clue
    Highlord's wrath
    Carrion Wind
    2nd ring - no clue

This setup gives me a total of 100% deadly strike at level 85, fully geared at level 65, with the exception of Dracul's at 76. With Dracul's, I'd have 101 OW, as well.

Skills :

Maxed :
    Werewolf
    Lycanthropy
    Oak Sage
    Rabies
    Fury

With this plan, I'd finish at level 90. Max lycanthropy first, followed by fury, then rabies, then split points evenly between Oak and WW. Any points beyond that go into feral rage.

How does this look? I didn't much care for the build I had originally planned, but I figure it's worth taking another look at now that it's focus has changed. My questions are :

Which armor should I wear?
    Should I get max block with lance guard?
    What is the damage formula for a knife-weilding wolf?
    Are there any changes that might be worth making?

And finally,

Has anyone built a char similar to this, and if so, how did it fare in pvp?

2. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

i think u should certainly get max block and u should use a different shield, like storm, and switch ur wts for gores, i dont know how much % block lanceguard has, but storm is better imo. with gores u would still have 95% ds. And if dexterty adds to knife damage like u say the more dex is better, but i wouldt put a lot more in then needed for max block. I suggest a raven( preff a good one with 20 dex) as second ring on any char, and as much in vita as u can spare offcourse. dunno about armor but CoH is never wrong offcourse, but u should check with other people with that. gl

3. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Thanks. I actually meant gores, rather thant ravs - those numbers were figured with the ds and ow from them. Without lance guard, I lose 20 ds... That's quite a bit. I COULD, of course, go with stormsheild... If I did, I'd shael it, as well. I find myself getting blocklocked a lot in pvm with druids, and a faster block rate would help that, I think.

Raven would be a choice for second ring... I have a cgrip (Traded for it before I knew they were duped.. :rolleyes: ) but I'd rather not use it, for obvious reasons. Belt-wise... I have no idea what I would use. Maybe dungo..

The idea behind bramble is to keep the rabies damage up. My +skills are obviously lacking. Maybe, rather than keeping the dracul's, I could switch to trang's and make up for some of the OW with a crafted blood belt? +life is nice, specially on a druid, and 5-10 ow is never bad. Or I could leave my dracul's in there, and just let Rabies make people panic. the OW will help with this effect, I'm certain.

4. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Well, I've just tried building him with my editor... turns out that at level 74, it took me over 300 dex for max block with shael'ed lance guard.

Now, taking into account the fact that I changed some of the gear a bit - namely, belt and gloves are both trangs, rather than in-the-air belt and dracul's - I found that my rabies was sufficient for me to consider it worthwhile... however, I was also running with an anni, 5x 3/20/20, and 6x shapeshift/lifers.

My max damage is sitting at 2192, with 100% ds. I've got 60% fhr. Rabies is 22.3-22.9k without bramble, and 26.3-27k with. I'm definately going with COH, if I make this build.

However, I think it would do much better if I were to take the ss charms out for max/ar/lifers. With that enormous dex investment, I NEED to make up that life somewhere, and fine small of vita/sustenance are the fastest and easiest way to do that. Not only that, they add quite a bit to my max damage, which further gets multiplied by my deadly strike. Not shabby.

I've noticed that one of my problems is mana. Well... that's only a problem in pvm. Mana burn eats me alive. PvP, I think my mana will be fine with no leech. Particularly since I have damage to mana from my lance guard, and more if I switch out highlord's and carrion for angelic. Which I might have to do vs. barbs... I'm only at 18k ar without them.

So. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking a crafted belt would be the best choice for this bulid... with open wounds and life being the main focus on it, as those are two things this build could use more of. The 100 defense or whatever from trang, and the mana regen... are simply not going to be missed.

5. pAnda_fury

pAnda_fury IncGamers Member

is this build intended for pvm, pub dueling, druidvmelee, druidvcaster or druidvdruid?

ill be able to help if i know the build intention

)pAnda(

6. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Pub dueling, but also I want it to be able to handle pvm.

7. pAnda_fury

ok then, i suggest you get max dr (or atleast close).
    so, a ber'd shaft would be a good choice of armor imo. maybe ber the jalals aswell to get 46 dr (maybe good enough), and use that a str/life/OW/res belt.

otherwise use ber'd shaft and verdungo and put some nice damage jewel in the jalals.

if you want decent rabies damage you pretty much have to use shape gcs

if you are decided upon highlords/carrion then ravenfrost or a str/dex/life/res ring is a good 2nd ring option, otherwise i personally use carrion/angelic ring/ammy for the AR

i got my own fury/rabies wolf to level 83 yesterday and it now has over 8k life :thumbsup: - still 7 more points to go in oak!!

pity you dont have access to pheonix, that works well with dex builds.

)pAnda(

8. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

8k life? I'm guessing that's a lot of vitality.. which would be nice, if I could do that. The dex is really only there to pump up my blocking... I guess that's the main issue with this build.

I could either go HUUUUUUUUUGE dex, with 100% DS and low (like 4k with lots of ss/lifers and 20 vita charms) life, or I could lower myself to 80 DS, and go stormsheild, which would solve a lot of problems.

And then there's still the question of damage... is like 2.2 k or whatever max enough? It'd be MUCH lower, like 1.9-2k with stormsheild, if I were to go 80 DS... so not only would I do less damage, but I'd be doubling it less often. =/ Not a very nice thought.

9. pAnda_fury

yeh my build uses enigma so i got almost base str, lots of vitality but still max block :thumbsup:

um it probably comes down to personal preference as there is no 'best' fury build. maybe experiment more on single player

i was also wondering are there any eth bugged ffks on nl? they would be nice!

)pAnda(

10. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

helm-cerebus (jala to duel casters)
    armor-enigma
    wep-4s gris caddy
    shield-ss
    glove-dracul
    belt-verdungo
    boot-gore
    1st ring-carrion
    2nd ring-ravenfrost

when dueling melee, u want to use angelic setup or else u wont be hitting that much to barb or pally.

charms:
    6x shape gcs /wlife&fhr
    4x max/ar/life gcs
    9x max/ar/life scs
    1x anni

this is how i gear my fury/rabie druid. It does pretty nice performance in both fury and rabie.

11. pAnda_fury

not bad although i still prefer jalals to cerebus: i'd rather +20 str, +30% fhr and +30 res than 33% OW and more AR.

imo cerebus is more useful for 2-handed fury than 1-handed fury. with 2-handed weapon you might want the AR boost because when you come into range you want to make sure that you hit; you cant afford to get hit because you are shieldless. the OW is also more useful with a 2-handed setup because you are hitting less often

)pAnda(