Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

alphabet tourney idea

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by azn_apocalypse, Feb 22, 2004.

1. azn_apocalypse

azn_apocalypse IncGamers Member

alphabet tourney idea

Came up with this tourney idea after dying in the set/unique worship tourney. The key features are these.

-The class of your character will be randomly generated. You may not choose.

-No muling or trading allowed. Characters must be created brand new for the purposes of this tourney.

-Every time you leave town, all your equipment must be in alphabetical order from head to toe, left to right. That is, Head, Amulet, Weapon, Armor, Shield, Gloves, Left ring, Belt, Right Ring, Boots.

-The order is based on the name of the item, NOT the type of item. That is, Superior Heavy Boots starts with S, Wraith Beads Amulet starts with a W, Isenheart's Case Breast Plate is I, and Tyreal's Might starts with T. You can leave slots empty if you wish; in that case you simply skip that slot when you checking the alpha order. If you do not own any items that can legally go in a slot then you must leave that slot empty.

-An exception will be made for items of the same set, since they would start with the same letter. You can equip items from the same set and the slots in which they are equipped will be considered "empty" for the purposes of alpha checking.

-No running of areas allowed. You can only kill the monsters in an area once and only once. Once you clear an area you cannot go back to it.

-Every first and second skill point assignment will be randomly determined. You may choose your skill assignment only every third skill point. (this rule is taken directly from the S/U Worship Tourney). This is to prevent caster characters from dominating the tourney.

What do you guys think?

2. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

This is impossible if one does not complete each act in a single session.

Let's say that I've cleared act I up until the Tamoe Highland and then I have to go to sleep. Next time I satrt the game the only way to get to the Tamoe Highland is to go through the Black Marsh. But that would mean that i enter an already cleared area second time.

Yours: Topi

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

i think he measn that you cant purposly kill all the monsters in an area 10 times togain exp or mf. if you have no chocie, then going directly through (if youve been there before you'll kwno the exit and so wont have to do full clears). that is fine.
    i woudl do it, but i dont have the time to Mf for good stuff that is in alphabetical order.

4. azn_apocalypse

Clarification: the winner would be the person who made it the farthest without dying (this would be a HC tourney), not the person who necessarily had the best items.

5. SuperSavage

SuperSavage IncGamers Member

I think this is a good idea of a tournament, everything seems good, if you make it im in. :)

Quick Question: How would the random skills be chosen?

6. azn_apocalypse

SuperSavage: There is a random # generator on http://www.random.org/nform.html
    You can also program a graphing calculator to do it, which is what I do.

Basically, you number the skills that are available for you to choose from, and then you pick a random number out of that range. Example: the first time you level up you may only have 4 skills to choose from, hence you will draw a number between 1 and 4. If you are level 50 and have a point in every skill, then you would choose a number between 1 and 30.

Just make sure you have picked out what skill has what number before you generate the random number.

7. azn_apocalypse

I was thinking, there should be some sort of modification to the alphabet rule for set items. How about, if you equip more than one item that belongs to the same set, only the first item will be counted in the alphabet check. Other items of that set will not be considered, as if you did not have anything equipped in those slots

8. SuperSavage

That sounds good, the first set u have in the alpha check counts then any other item of that same set is equipped then it is considered a "empty spot" and you can just skip it. I dont think this will be a problem that much since i dont see many people using items of the same set that much but there will be quite a few probably....

This tourny will be quite challenging, like for boots, you couldnt use "boots" or "heavy boots" because they are last and are letters that are high up there in the start, but thats the whole point, for it too be challenging. :) Try to get all of the rules up and anything else to finish it and see if you can get it going pretty soon. :)

-SuperSavage

9. azn_apocalypse

The names of rare items will also matter now too, which might be interesting since they have never been an issue before.

You'll be praying for that great rare +1 skills circlet to spawn as Death Coil rather than Stone Circlet.

I think the prefixes of magical items should also be counted in the alpha check. Mmmm, Angel's Circlet...

A little later, I am going to start posting the rules a couple at a time so people make suggestions as they see fit.

10. SuperSavage

I think that the Magical Prefixes should be used as well, I just see it like whatever is in the very front is what it counts for like "Russet Boots" = R and "Tangerine Belt" = T, this would make it way more "unknown", because there are so many prefixes, its like you just dont know what its gonna be which is cool, fun, and also surprising. Also like you said with the rares, thats good too, there are so many different names, its cool to see what you get lol. I have a feeling this will be fun. :)

11. Lacerta

Lacerta IncGamers Member

That does sound fun. I'll get in on it too.
    I agree, it should be whatever is the first letter in the name, no matter if it be rare, magical, or whatever, but a couple things need clarifying: What about gemmed? it will always start with "g". Also, what are the rules about personalizing an item? If you find a really nice helm of some kind, can you personalize it with an "A" name so you can always use it?

What about weapon switch? I assume that whichever switch is active has to be in alpha order, or do the switch have to fit alphabetically after the boots?

What else.....oh, the playing an area once and once only does work, we used it well in the Set/unique tourney. There has to be a little leniency, but it does work overall.

12. sativola

sativola IncGamers Member

I might try this tourney as well, since I also died in the set/unique tourney.

Couple of ideas, mostly based off of the questions asked so far:

Alphabetized by first letter or entire word?
    Are we going alphabetically by the first letter of the first word, or the entire item name altogether? For example, would a Drake's Cap be able to go before a Drake's Amulet? These (just like Set Items) start with the same letter. Personally, I think set items should be the only exception and everything else should be based off of the alphabetical-ness of the entire item name. So you couldn't have the above combo, but you could have a Drake's Amulet followed by a Drake's Dagger.

So, gemmed items. I think you can have more than one if we agree to alphabetize by entire word. The only problem, your 'gemmed' items can only be next to each other...as nothing will fit alphabetically between a "Gemmed Dagger" and a "Gemmed Small Shield" unless you happen to also be wearing a "Gemmed Quilted Armor" or the like.

Or...we could forgo all of the above and decide to ban any identical first words (i.e. same prefixes, "gemmed") on your items except for set items.

Personalizing. I don't see a problem with it.... Only your tourney character can personalize an item (so they can only use their name on one of their own items), AND can only wear it if it will fit alphabetically with your gear. This could be considered a three time "help" (or again, if we decide to ban identical first words, only a once time "help") to get that awesome item you really, really want to use badly to fit into your gear alphabetically.

Weapon switch...I think the same rules should apply. Items must fit alphabetically from top to bottom, left to right. So even your weapon switch items have to fit around your amulet, armor, and gloves.

Those are just my views on those things. Anyone agree or disagree? This tournament definitely sounds quite fun, especially with the 2/3 random skills. I love that.

I'm sure we'll definitely see some new strategy here item-wise than what you'd normally see on your average D2 day! :lol:

13. SuperSavage

For this, I say if you have a "Drakes Amulet" and a "Drakes Cap", would be not be good. The way i was thinking for this situation if you had these two, you take the first letter of the second world, so its like you just cancel them out. Example is "Drakes Amulet" and "Drakes Cap" would not work because "A"mulet comes before "C"ap so it wouldnt be done. If this happens, which i think would be a bit rare, I think that it should just use the first letter of the second word and go from there. For sets, I say the same thing, example: "Cathans Visage"(helm) and "Cathans Sigil"(amulet) would not work because the "V"isage doesnt go before "S"igil. Again, this would be quite rare, but if done, I think this is what should happen. Another example is: "Russet" (belt) and "Russet" (right ring) this would work and for the boots you would go off of the "R" in Russet for the boots. Then you would just need something before "R" from your "left ring".

For "Gemmed" items, I think you should still use the first letter of the second word, for example: "Gemmed Large Axe" and "Gemmed Leather Armor", this would work because you the "La" in Large Axe comes before "Le" in Leather Armor, then should work down with "L" from there. This was just an example of two "L" starting items, if they are the same then just use the second letter, so one. Same go for sets, if this ever happens.

I dont see any needing in personalizing, because that can cause some huge errors in your alpha for say your name is "Larry" and you personalize a
    "Pillar Stone Heavy Belt"(rare), then it would be "L" from Larry instead of "P" in Pillar. Then now you would have "L" instead of "P" and everything would still have to fit when you changed it, etc. I just dont see any reason for this at all.

This is quite confusing, yes. This would be pretty darn hard for everything to work out. I never do weapon switch so i dont really care, but yes its a good point. That sounds good, its just really hard thats all.

-SuperSavage

14. azn_apocalypse

Lol SuperSavage...I barely understood your post. It's not your fault though. The subject matter just has the potential to be somewhat confusing. Well, to avoid further confusion, I think we should make rules for each type of item. Here is what I think.

Unique Items - Use the entire name of the item, sorting by the first point of difference. Names are alphabetized as they would appear in a dictionary. If you were a dual-axe wielding Barbarian and wanted to wield both Deathspade and Death Cleaver, you would have to wield Death Cleaver in your left (first) hand and Deathspade in your right (second) hand. This is because Deathspade is all one word and comes after Death Cleaver, which is two words. The words "A", "An," and "The" in the name of the item will be ignored. The General's Tan Do Li Ga will be considered to start with G.

Set Items - This gets a little complicated.

Items from Different Sets - Items will be sorted according to their full name. Anything from the Aldur's Rhythm set must be placed before anything from the Tal Rasha's set. The Laying of Hands from the Disciple set will be considered an "L", not a "D."

Items from the Same Set - You can equip items from the same set without worrying about the order. However, the first item from the set that appears in the head-->amulet-->...-->right ring-->boots sequence must be in order in relation to the other items. Any other items that you have equipped from that set will be considered "empty" for the purposes of alpha checking.

For example, if you were wearing all the items of the Disciple set, only the Telling of Beads amulet would matter. The rest of the items: armor, belt, gloves, and boots, would not. Thus, you would only be restricted in that your headgear would have to come before "T," and your weapon, shield, left ring, and right ring would all have to come after "T", and be in order themselves. Example: Peasant Crown, Ume's Lament, Wall of the Eyeless , and two Wyrm's Rings (+ to mana) would work, if you had all the other items from the disciple set on.

RuneWords - Will be sorted by the name of the runeword, not the name of the individual runes. "Steel" (TirEl) will be considered an S, not a T.

Rare/Crafted Items - Sorted by the special name that the item gets upon spawning...like Death Mark or Eagle Hand. First point of difference. Wraith Beads would have to come before Wraith Loop.

Magical/Superior/Inferior Items - Sorted by the full name of the item, according to first point of difference. Drake's Amulet would have to come before Drake's Cap, therefore you could not wear both at the same time. Likewise, you could not wear both a Superior Heavy Boots and Superior Heavy Gloves at the same time. You could, however, wear a cracked heavy gloves and superior heavy boots if you wished.

Gemmed Items - Considered like any other item, starts with a G, sorted by first point of difference. You could not wear both a gemmed full helm and a gemmed breast plate at the same time. Three out of four of the possible gemmed slots are next to each other, so it will be feasible to have a gemmed weapon, armor, and shield if you chose to do so (ie Gemmed Cestus, Gemmed Chain Mail, Gemmed Spiked Shield).

Did I leave anything out?

Once again, the point of the tourney is to make it as far as possible through the HC game without dying, while following these restrictions. The winner will be the person who gets the farthest. I think there should be some sort of prize for the winner but I don't have anything to give...any ideas?

15. azn_apocalypse

Oh yeah, personalizing.

I see personalizing as being one of the most important factors in this tourney. We should definitely say that personalized items will be sorted by the character's name (since it would come first in the item name).

Also, you would have to make a choice when you named your character. I mean, when has that ever come into play in D2 strategy? Do you go for Aaron, to maximize the chance of being able to wear an uber-helm, or Zeb, in case you find uber boots?

16. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Oh, I am SO in when it comes to playing this tourney. I take it merc gear is totally free from the "alphabet" rule? I think it will be too harsh otherwise.

17. azn_apocalypse

I agree, merc gear should probably be free from the alphabet rule. That way if you found a great item that you could not use on your own char, you could at least put it on your merc.

18. erimatbrad

erimatbrad IncGamers Member

I'd like to play too (assuming I can find time to juggle two tournies). :)

I'm all for 'stricter' rules -- only because I likes em. But I'm happy with the way the rules look now, it definately looks as though it will still be challenging, and very rewarding to use sets to get an ease for the alphabetical restrictions.

Hooray for random characters! :)

So, for example: If I had a set weapon and shield, neither of those would count in the alphabetical order? Or would just the first?

Looking forward to the start :)

19. azn_apocalypse

It would depend if the set weapon and shield were from the same set. Let's say you had Isenheart's Lightbrand (Sword) and Isenheart's Parry (Shield). These ARE from the same set, so only the item in the left slot (usually your weapon, unless you decided to reverse the order for some reason) would have to be alphabetical order with the rest of your items. Your amulet, in other words, would have to come before "Isenheart's" and your armor, gloves and the rest would have to come after "Isenheart's."

Now let's say you found Milabrega's Rod and wanted to equip it with Isenheart's Parry. The only way you could do this is to put Isenheart's Parry in your left slot and put Milabrega's Rod in your right slot. Now, b/c they are not from the same set, both your weapon and your shield would have to be in alpha order with the rest of your stuff. Your armor would have to fall between "Isenheart's" and "Milabrega's." Your helm and armor would have to come before Isenheart's, and your gloves, left ring, belt, etc, would have to come after Milabrega's.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Oh yeah, one more item of note. Both weapon configurations must individually obey the alpha rule. However, you don't have to worry about setting up configuration 1 in any way relative to configuration 2.

20. SuperSavage

Everything looks good, I WANNA PLAY!!! :)