Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

All sorts of Golem Questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by gerbele, Oct 12, 2006.

1. gerbele

gerbele IncGamers Member

All sorts of Golem Questions

I am a mid-80 Fishymancer that maxed Golem Mastery and have great gear to give my Iron Golem ~8500 Life in Hell w/ 65% Resist. I really don't need him to kill but I would like him for a source of an aura for the rest of my minions. I also have an Infinity Might Merc.

1. Because I don't need him to kill and the only thing that can really kill him is Iron Maiden, would making him out of an armor or a low dmg weapon almost make him Immune to IM?

2. If I make him and later on raise the stats of Golem Mastery through Charms, would he benefit from the added life or is he stuck with the stats he is summoned on.

3. How does Summon Resist work? Is it applied real-time or does it depend on what skill level the minions were summoned on.

4. Do minions suffer for the -100 Resist in Hell like we do? Or when Summon Resist says 60% Resist, that is what it really is? Also, do they cap out at 75%?

and last...

5. If you had your choice, regardless of price, what runeword would you make your IG out of? Insight, Beast, Dream, Pride, Doom? So basicly, which aura would be best: Meditation, Fant., Holy Shock, Conc., Holy Freeze, Defiance, Thorns, Holy Fire etc.

Thanks.

2. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

1. Low damage = low damage reflected back. So yes, doing that would make him more resistant to IM.

2: Only the stats when summoned.

3: See 2.

4: No penalty. No cap, either.

5: I'd probably choose "Beast." The only other aura there that would really benefit a summoner would be the Conc. from "Pride."

3. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

didn't see this mentioned so i'll bring it up: with beast will he have to worry about im? (not sure if im works on cb)

also as a cheap alternative u can always keep around a couple ik mauls for the cb:tongue:

4. Enilias

Enilias IncGamers Member

Not to mention that as far as I know the iron golem dies if you die just like any other minion. Accidently teleporting into a big mob of monsters (Vipers with Fana and Extra Fast or Souls with Conviction for example) and dieing always can happen. That's why Beast, Dream, Pride or Doom are a bit too expensive for my taste to use as a golem. I'd use Insight as iron golem for that reason if I had to use iron golem. Give your merc pride or infinity instead of insight then.
    Personally I like the slow effect from the clay golem way too much to even think about IG.

5. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Not to mention that Clay is a 1 point wonder with Golem Mastery which allows for more specialization of you necromancer.

6. gerbele

gerbele IncGamers Member

I personally don't miss Clay Golem's Slow Hit. On all of the Act Bosses, once they're hit with Decep, it's lights out w/in 20 sec. I RARELY might lose 1 skeleton when fighting Baal or Diablo and every other monster dies too quickly for the slow effect to be of any use. Ofcoarse I've always got him in my back pocket if I need him.

7. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Very true. Decrepify does work wonders and you still have him with at least 1 point. How much life does your Clay Golem have with 20 points into Golem Mastery? Just curious. Because I have a dozen or so skill points in my fishymancer and nowhere to put them.

8. gerbele

gerbele IncGamers Member

---

With GM Maxed and +18 skills, my Clay Golem has around 17200 hp.

Just think if I had Call to Arms w/ +6 BO. That will give me a sLvl of 24. That would put my Clay Golem at over 35000 hp ( I think ).

9. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

Hmmm. thats intriguing. Does anyone know how much life a Clay Golem can have with Max Clay Golem and Max Golem Mastery? I think that would be interesting to see people fight it simply because it would never die and they would be so slow =)

That right there gives me an idea on where to spend the rest of my points on my fishymancer. That would be worth it just to be funny in pub duel games...sit in town and make Clay Golems right outside of town to the NK duelers. Life would be grand indeed.

10. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

My summoner setup:

Beast - necro weapon
    Infinity - might merc weapon
    Bramble - merc armor
    Dream (confuse overrides amp, though) or Guillame's - merc helm
    Insight - iron golem

I haven't put any points into golem mastery, and the IG still tends to survive. If he gets low, which happens in 1 of every 20 games or so, I just run to town and heal at an NPC. Lots of skellies and revives help take the heat off of him.

Strategy: Amp, kill a few things, corpse explosion until everything is dead.

Without the merc alive, getting first kills is very hard, even with a huge army; with him, it takes under a second. It's amazing how much the merc and his auras add.

Without Insight, I have to constantly hunt down mana potions, especially with the amount of CEing I do. Not a huge problem, but it is rather annoying.

While my IG itself has never died, I have a few times, which in turn kills the IG. I'd rather play a little more aggressively and have to remake a simple Insight rather than have to worry about losing an Infinity and play passively. In fact, most of the other good auras that I don't get elsewhere are problematic to this build, such as Holy Freeze and Redemption. I'd like to work Vigor from Harmony in there somehow, but there's no good place for it. Sanctuary could be fun, too, but I'm not sure how useful, and again, I can't give anything else up.

And, as others have mentioned, Gumby is useful when you're weak, but when you're strong, he's really not needed.

NK with Gumby? Not sure if that would work. Grizzly, on the other hand...

11. kohlman

kohlman IncGamers Member

No, I know that good old Gumby wont be able to kill anyone above level 15 but I think it would be quite fun to see people hacking away at him and going as slow as fun. I meant that I would do that to the people that are NKing just to mess with them. I ahvent done it yet but I think it would be a good way to get back at them.