all shadow discipline assassin!?

friskystapler

Diabloii.Net Member
all shadow discipline assassin!?

So don't ask me why but me and my friends are each building an assassin using only one skill treee, and I'm using the shadow disciplines. Basically any pointers other than criticism are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pantherus

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: all shadow discipline assassin!?

You'll just have to take full advantage of a select set of skills from the tree.

Potentially you should/could use dual-claws still to make the most of Claw mastery and Weapon block

BoS will be a big boost for you, as will Mind Blast.

Naturally you will have a totally buffed Shadow Master with you too

And use cloak of darkness to its full effectiveness as well.

BIGeyedBUG

Diabloii.Net Member

It could be rough doing pure Shadow compared to the other trees, depending on what you like to bring to a party. You'll have good defensive skills and be a great asset to your group, but you'll have to live with not doing a lot of hurt to the monsters.

You could circumvent that if the theme allows oskills. For instance Passion-Zeal or Chaos-WW. Or if you can bend the rules just enough to get a one point or claw mod BF.

Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with a weak CM/Venom offense, or an even weaker Venom/ranged weapon offense. Personally I'd go with the ranged version, probably a bowplinker, and just rely on the trapper and MA to really kill things. If they're smart, they'll be relying on you to keep them alive while they do so.

wizAdept

Diabloii.Net Member

So your friends are playing on MA and trap sins without using other skill trees? gonna be rough for them.. no fade/bos for them, no cos, no mindblast.. all must have abilities on any assassin.
So its really going to take teamwork to get the most out of your three man group, your main goal should be to cloak any new groups of enemies (base level 1 cloak for shortest duration til recast) and mindblast at enemies if you see your teammates need help. Basically play the support for your team because they don't have these abilities so they will need to rely on you to survive.
Its gonna be rough for MA sin without any SD, but I guess thats the point of your campaign there. Your trapper is probably going to end up the main damage dealer of your group. You will have to play support most of the time most likely.

wizAdept

Diabloii.Net Member

Actually rereading BIGeyedBUG's post I think a wwsin would be best since you do have clawmastery/venom to take advantage of but.. is that going to be likely in your campaign or are highrunes not in your reach? If you cant make chaos, norm attack isnt worth it, go with a zealsin I guess since you dont have any MA skills..

In any case you'll have to be blind/stun support for your team.

friskystapler

Diabloii.Net Member

yeah i think i'm going to have to use venom and i've always wanted a bowsin. Maybe you're right about chaos though. i wouldn't mind bending the rules just a tad. Thanks for everyones' help

remladen

Diabloii.Net Member

I have one altough not completed yet. Ladder reset made me leaving her aside for a little while.

I wanted to make a pure shadow sin without any gear to get skills from other tree/classes. She's up to lvl 52 and doing nm Baal runs so I haven't tested her in hell yet but she got through nm quite easily.

One more thing I added is that I also wanted to use full Nat's. Here's her end game gear I planned for her:

Full Nat's
Bartuc (I have an eth up'd one that I might zod)
Dracul's
String of Ears
Ravenfrost
Bk
Highlord

A1 Merc:

Faith
Vampire Gaze
Fortitude

I didn't have the time to get a Fort before ladder reset so I might simply go for a CoH or another armor for my merc.

The skills:

20 Venom
20 Master
20 CM
20 MB
~10 BoS
Rest in WB and all perequesites

This thread just made me want to continue building her up and getting to hell with her at the moment. So I'm off doing some baal runs.

TheNix

Diabloii.Net Member

I've got a SP pure shadow assassin matriarch under my belt. It was one hell of a build to do on my own but since you're working as a group, you should be able to get around some of the problems I faced. I went down the missile route and used a shaeled Burra or a dual shaeled Hellrack depending on the situation. The thing you'll need to get use to is the ribbing that you're going to get from your mates. If your SM behaves the same way as mine did the first thing it'd do is MB everything and the majority of the enemy will be converted. You'll spend a lot of time waiting for it to end and if you're not quick enough, she'll do it again. I was tearing my hair out by the end.

Kelba

Diabloii.Net Member

I am actually thinking of making a Shadow Discipline only Assassin on HC. Any suggestions as to what skills I should max?

So far I've thought of:

20 CM
20 SW
20 Venom
20 MB
5 BoS
5 WB
5 CoS

It probably won't work though. Any suggestions? And any more info on ranged assassins (waht bows should you use?)