Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

All-purpose Enigma

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by WeSaveLives, Dec 4, 2016.

1. WeSaveLives

WeSaveLives Diabloii.Net Member

I'm getting close to being able to put together my first Enigma (I'm one Lo, Sur, Ber or Jah away), so I've started considering which armor I'd use.

Playing online taught me that the standard is Archon Plate (Light armour/high armour/reasonable strength), but without Anni/Torch the str req of 103 is much less reasonable for most characters without a heavy investment.

With this is mind which armour did you make your first Enigma in?

2. Dazliare

Dazliare Diabloii.Net Member

This is just my take on it, but mine is in a mage plate. The str req in a mage plate plus the str from enigma will get you to the str req for a monarch no problem

WeSaveLives likes this.
  3. Neksja

Neksja Diabloii.Net Member

For me, I wanted a low-ish STR requirement base, which is Light-weighted, so no FRW penalty. That meant, my options were Breast Plate, Light Plate and possibly Mage Plate/Cuirass. IMO, Breast Plate (and Cuirass/Great Hauberk) are the ugliest armors in the game, so they were cut out, thus leaving Light Plate and Mage Plate. Both of my Enigmas (pre 1.13 and post 1.13) have been made in Light Plates. Pretty much just because that 120-150ish extra defense from Enigma in Mage Plate is not very attractive, yet I find that 14 lower STR requirement (and more points in Vita) a lot better.

Priority order for me for both times was Light-weighted>Looks>STR requirement>Defense

WeSaveLives and pharphis like this.
  4. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

I went breastplate because it's the lowest reqs. Didn't care about looks or defense. Regret nothing.

WeSaveLives likes this.
  5. gedda-d-e

gedda-d-e Diabloii.Net Member

Go for looks! :cool:
    A few points in vit or str here and there will never make up for style points.

WeSaveLives, T72on1 and pharphis like this.
  6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A mage plate has a str req of 55 and Enigma adds 0.75 str per level which would be a total of just 122 at L90, for example, while a monarch needs 154. I would still use a mage plate, however, because not every character has to meet the reqs for a monarch and it's not that difficult to reach 55 str. Rare rings can have up to +20 and and (IIRC) amulets even +30.

WeSaveLives likes this.
  7. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

I did mine on Mage Plate. I found the needed runes a bit too early; I was still thinking the Bnet way, where almost every character meets the str req of MP without any added points.

It's true that most chars will have to put quite some points to str anyway in order to wear Spirit Monarch, but there's still some that will save points by using one made in Breast Plate/Light Plate.

If I ever do Enigma again, I will do it in BP. Every point matters. LP/MP style is superior though, true :p

WeSaveLives likes this.
  8. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Problem with exceptional and elite versions is only thing they offer better is defense, and defense is along with stamina most useless thing in this game unless you really go into elite levels of it. Few characters can do that, but half of those don't even need Enigma and would actually prefer other armor:
    - sorceress with some armor buff can reach nice defense, but sorc with Enigma is not exactly frequent idea
    - werebear characters who can't teleport, so Enigma on them is for movement speed and MF, but somehow I think people will prefer Fortitude for damage
    - hammerdin, but he can have 10k defense even with BP enigma, and difference between 10k and 14k or whatever defense is incredibly low considering what kind of AR monsters have and you always have max block, so hardly any benefit there from more defense on Enigma. Actually you profit more from having low strength req Enigma for extra life on him
    - barbarian can reach 6.5k with BP enigma which could reach higher if you use other Enigma. Barb is ideal character for elite armor Enigma since he anyway almost always invests extra points to Strength to boost his damage (at least in SC), so he could have full benefit of elite enigma without any drawback

So, not much point to go for anything above Light Plate, but it is also true most characters will use Spirit and it won't matter is Enigma BP, LP or MP. But you know, for few characters who do care for extra life, and since defense is so meaningless stat, you could as well profit from having simple BP or LP enigma. Defense is stat mostly for PvP where squeezing extra 1000 defense will actually have impact unlike in PvM.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    pharphis, WeSaveLives and SunsetVista like this.
  9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If you don't have any stat points to invest into strength, you obviously use the best armor available, of course. I wouldn't go that far and use a superior armor, however because it increases repair costs too much. Besides, almost all my Ral runes go into caster amulets (I usually gather more pamethysts than Rals) and the rest into Insight rerolls. Not a single one of them will ever be available for repairs.

However, this is about an all-purpose Enigma. That means that the armor is going to change its wearer, i.e. the character will have to meet the strength reqs of the other gear without it as well. Therefore, a mage plate should be no problem at all. An exception might be a necromancer who's wearing a necro head with low reqs and a matching staffmod and skilltree bonus rather than one of the uniques or a runeword.

WeSaveLives likes this.
  10. WeSaveLives

WeSaveLives Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the opinions everyone, it looks like ill be going for LP/MP for the looks and cheaper req.

11. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

For PvM defense is irrelevant, the marginal increase in base item defense even more so with Enigmas fixed bonus. Light Plate or Breast Plate are the normal choices. Basically whichever you prefer the looks of.

For PvP you don't want to be wasting points in strength, so again LP or BP.

I would only consider MP/AP/Dusk/whatever for a second Enigma for some PvP characters.

WeSaveLives likes this.
  12. Hookipa

Hookipa Diabloii.Net Member

With regard to all-purpose enigma I agree with the abovementioned comments.

My hammerdin uses a mp and he has 0 points invested in strenght. Using 2 rare rings with +19 str each to equip it.
    Because this does not cost me lost poins into vita and in combination with max holy shield and defense aura from my merc I gladly take the added defense.

Contrary to the above opinions, I was actually thinking if I ever create all the other high level runewords on my wishlist I want to remake enigma in an Archon Plate, using a similar cheesy tactic as above.

Equipping AP: (103 str req - 25 base str - 19 str 2x rare rings - 40 4sx Pamy pala shield = 10 left, which I can manage with an amu)
    Keeping AP Eni equipped: (103 str req - 25 base str - 72 str eni (@ lvl 96) = 5 point left >> I still dream of finding an amu: +2 pala, 10 fcr; 20 strenght +adds. So this could cover it and in the meantime I might invest 5 points (or less if I ever level)

A bit cheesy but it will net a def boost compared to Light Plate of ((sup AP 603 def - Sup light plate 123 = +480) * HS @lvl 38 595% * defiance aura merc 220%)) = about 4,392 defense.
    Compared to my current 15ed MP its about 2,777 defense.

To be honest I don't know the impact of the added 2,777 defense in hell difficulty but I dont mind taking it if it does not cost me vita :).

13. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm it is true that Enigma can equip itself once you put it on in gomule/atma. You don't even need anything but to invest few points for it to be equipped until you die which shouldn't really happen with hammerdin. Same strategy goes for other characters. Now I don't really recall how it works, but I do think if Enigma can hold itself on, you are perfectly fine until you die and can do switching and all kinds of stuff. Just don't take it off! :D

14. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Trouble is in PvM, so many of the dangerous monsters ignore target defense or don't have physical attacks - Gloams, archers, Lister etc. So defence for me is always a "whatever" stat.