Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

All Legendary items Soulbound just killed it for me.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Azzure, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Azzure

Azzure Diabloii.Net Member

Just when I thought that Blizzard were finally on the right track with itemization, they pull this one out.

I'm sorry, but a Diablo game where loot runs are almost pointless once you have great gear is not a good idea. If Blizzard think that this won't have enormous long-term ramifications for the future of the game they are absolutely mistaken.

Half the fun of item-hunting is getting items you can trade. Finding amazing gear that doesn't suit your character and having to throw it away is going to make loot-hunting a lot less fun.

Also, what happens when you have excellent gear? When only 1 in every 10,000 drops is an upgrade, won't we have the exact same problem as we are experiencing now with the whole "ID 500 rares and legendaries, no upgrade", but even worse now that we cant even sell/trade it?

This is an awful decision. I predicted the failure of loot 1.0 in Beta, and predicted the failure of the crafting system. I am saying with strong conviction that this change will once again destroy the item system.

2. JEB90

JEB90 Diabloii.Net Member

What, you don't want to be forced to play a single player game online? Go figure...

3. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes Diabloii.Net Member

Predicting loot 1.0 failure and crafting failure was kinda easy. They looked ridiculously awful 100 miles away.
    You didn't predict the failure of AH though :) Maybe this will be great! Who knows.

As for throwing items away, maybe Blizzard will finally manage to make salvaging useful. Wouldn't count on it, but there is some off-chance it could happen.

As for what happens when you have excellent gear?
    I really cant see how that is different from what happens when you have excellent gear in a trading-scenario?
    Other than in a trading scenario you can accumulate more and more gold and play AH. But what is the fun in that?

The only solution to hitting the gear progression wall, BoA or no BoA, is adding new content when this happens, or by having optional ladder resets. Preferably both. BoA or trading has no effect on this however.

4. JEB90

JEB90 Diabloii.Net Member

And yet it has a HUGE effect on trying new builds or gearing up for pvp (hah). It's also quite a kick in the pants when you find something great for a class/build you have no interest in playing.

5. Milithiel

Milithiel Diabloii.Net Member

Mostly copied and pasted from the comments..

I assumed the clan feature they were adding was meant to help facilitate trading by fostering tight knit communities within the game.

I understand they want to cut out shady third party websites selling stuff and make finding your own items more fulfilling, but I feel that binding the most sought after items is at the detriment of the community and general social interaction within the game.

I definitely do not envy the people with the job trying to find a happy medium between these two things.

Having said that, I definitely fear for the longevity of the game if this is the direction they go in. :(

6. Dread

Dread Diabloii.Net Member

I hope they reconsider this decision. It's like they are going from one extreme (Gold and Real Money Auction House) to another. Trading was always a big part of Diablo II.

7. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

It seems to me that Blizzard have only one way to react to criticism and that's to overreact.

8. yovargas

yovargas Diabloii.Net Member

Heh, just yesterday I said:

9. Azzure

Spot on. They will get even more angry when they have good gear equipped and don't find and upgrade for just as long a time as they currently do.

Blizzard are being clumsy with their itemization again, it appears. How can they not have thought about these ramifications.

10. mr punk

mr punk Diabloii.Net Member

lulz..i love azzure posts. i remember back when he used to drink more blizz kool-aid than raveharu. now, when it comes to blizz. he comes out guns blazing, shooting first and asking questions later.
    strangely enough, binding came up during d3 development before jay finally rejected the notion which was most likely due to their plans for AH. basically, the current d3 team is merely recycling an old development idea, even worse an old jay wilson idea. lulz..it's like jay's back on the team again in spirit.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Binding

11. yovargas

yovargas Diabloii.Net Member

Considering how many times Blizz just kinda wildly reacts with damage control to fan reactions, I wouldn't be surprised if the WTF response to this is strong enough to make them reconsider this one.

I really think Bind on Trade would have solved the whole damn thing. Maybe make some exceptions for friends/clans or whatever.

12. spfun

spfun Diabloii.Net Member

I played D1/D2 for over a decade SP, i never traded. Yet i still felt like i was constantly finding useful items unlike D3's garbage itemization. IMO full blown BoA won't make it into RoS, i think they'll change it to be not so full blown.

13. Azzure

I never drank the Blizzard kool-aid, I've always been fair and balanced in my arguments for or against Blizzard's decisions. When Blizzard do smart things, I will champion it, when Blizzard do silly things I will call it out and criticize it.

I have always been a huge critic to Blizzard's choices in itemization and story, even in the Beta days. I still think they are making mistakes in loot 2.0, and this one is a massive one.

14. TheNix

What I don't understand is who Blizzard are listening to. I've been roaming around a few fan sites and all BoA is doing is further dividing an already divided community. Surely Blizzard's marketing people have done some research on this!

15. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes Diabloii.Net Member

Or maybe they care more about making the game they envision, than what market analyzes show is most profitable. Probably not though.

People are always afraid of changes. Let us see how this one works out :D

16. mr punk

mr punk Diabloii.Net Member

no, you were much worse pre-release. the difference is back then you had this unshakable faith in the company, the team and that "blizz polish" would save the day (and it probably wouldn't take a 18 months and counting). i don't see that from you anymore. for example:
    i can't imagine you making similar naive tripe today.

any port in a storm will do for blizz. remember, their initial plan was for players to spend months in inferno and when that plan got blown to kingdom come. obviously, they had no back-up. lulz.

17. Apendecto

Apendecto Diabloii.Net Member

Oh but wait! You can trade new drops with the people in your game. Yeah, that solves everything. You'll surly trade the awesome unique you found (but don't want) with the one that the person who wants to trade (and speaks your language) found... I'm sure this will happen all the time... One game, perfectly comparable items that each person would rather have the one they didn't get. Perfect solution!

18. TheNix

A "perfect solution" that forces you to play MP if you want to trade and you get a maximum trading pool of three people. I'll buy that!

19. trocadero

trocadero Diabloii.Net Member

Reading those Jay Wilson quotes, it's like a smart game designer w/ great and fresh ideas was kidnapped by aliens and replaced by a complete idiot in some nefarious conspiracy to destroy Blizzard. Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!

20. Bad Ash

Bad Ash Diabloii.Net Member

1,000,000% agree.

I followed all the blizzcon coverage and haven't played D3 in about a year. Had the itch to fire it up everyday for the last four. Just read every legendary is soulbound. Goodbye.

What a joke. They get rid of the AH and then make every legendary account bound except for three people in game? Are you kidding me? They are just absolutely dropping the ball on the social aspect of the Diablo franchise and this is just a brutal mis step.

Edit: I am so so angry over a game I don't even play anymore. That's pretty pathetic, but I hope people speak up on the official forums (I just made a post over there) cause that's the only way to get this changed. I have no clue who Blizzard is taking advice from cause they are idiots.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013