Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

All around mfer sorc.

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by MercenaryKnight, Mar 18, 2005.

1. MercenaryKnight

MercenaryKnight Banned

All around mfer sorc.

I was wondering what would be the best sorc for all around mfing mainly. Andarial, Mephisto, Pindleskin(I got a decent merc to handle him). Maybe the occasional baal but with a friend or 2 so I wont worry about single trees. I was thinking maybe a blizz sorc maxing ice bolt and blast first and then putting maybe 1 point into orb for crowd control. Also when you reply say if you would go pure vita or pure block build.

2. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

The best allround sorc for mf has to be a meteorb. IIRC pindle is often immune to cold , which sucks if you're a single element sorc.

3. Gaza0469

Gaza0469 IncGamers Member

2nd that one
    very versatile - and still a very fast killer.

4. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

While I agree on the Meteorb bit, Pindle is not that bad as an all cold sorc, because with half decent gear your merc will get him in a few hits anyway. Of course, it's still nicer (and quicker) if you do damage too.

5. k/t

k/t Banned

I made a Meteorb with the intention of using her as an MF char. She's **, and she does rather well. Currently I'm running Meph and she has no problems.
    I made survivability the main priority, since I like chars that don't die in one hit from monsters. I also lag a lot, so her ability to live through 5 second screen freezes is nice.

Harlequin Crest with P Topaz
    Skullder's Ire with P Topaz
    Tal's ammy
    Tal's belt
    Wizardspike
    Moser's shield with 2 P Diamonds
    SOJ
    39% MF magic ring
    Chance Guards
    War Traveler

Gull/Rhyme on switch, I always switch to them when finishing off Meph.

Her merc is a Holy Freeze guy, with Crown of Thieves, some rare polearm, and an upgraded Goldskin.

She has 75% resists and 75% block. I put some life charms on her, as well as a mana grand charm, so she has about 960 life and 850 mana. (She still has 10 spaces in inventory). In a 3 or 4 player game, I can tank the third, fourth and fifth groups of Baal minions. I haven't tried in an 8 player game cause I would lag waaay too much. I also tank the Travincal council, and generally any elemental-damage punk. Some physical damage monsters I tank too, and I usually take little or no damage because I spam fireball in their face and it kind of stuns them. It's also satisfying to see the rest of your Enigma-, Hoto-, EBOTD-, and whatever the hell they duped this week-equipped party drop like flies when running into Gloams while you take a bunch of bolts and your life only goes down to half. I went toe to toe with Bartuc and a few of his guys, and a sorc said admiringly (as she was coming back to pick up her body ;) ) "Wow, Gloria, you're pretty good at surviving".

Since the main focus was resists and MF, she only has +6 to skills, but she can still kill relatively well. If there are only 4 or 5 players in the game, you'll be just fine. With 8 players, you'll just spam Fireball a while longer, but the end result is the same. Most sorcs have +10 or +11 to skills, but they also have garbage resists and 2% block. Don't rely on Frozen Orb other than as a back-up for Fire Immunes or to chill enemies. Your fire spells are the main damage dealers. Drop a Meteor on the enemies, then Fireball twice, then Meteor again, then Fireball twice, then Meteor. This works especially well if you're tanking, since the monsters are standing still.
    One more thing: I recommend not getting Energy Shield. I only use Shiver Armor, and only 1 point in it. Without its synergy (Telekinesis), Energy Shield just causes unnecessary mana loss which makes it hard for you to do anything.

I got Frozen Orb first, then Fireball and Meteor, I maxed Fire Mastery at 86, and now I'm back to putting points in Cold Mastery. I plan to eventually get her to 90, but I got tired of lagging through Baal runs for the time being, so I'm just MFing at the moment.

Whisper me at *mi_chi_ko for more details or to MF together.

6. parkerbsb

parkerbsb IncGamers Member

Wow not a single suggestion for bliz

So here it goes:
    Blizard sorc can easily take Meph/Andy and pindle. I can usually do both and kill the council members in Dur 3 (as long as they aren't CI) in under 3 minutes. If you have enough mana to pull it off, BLiz/ice blast can hammer either boss down really quickly. I don't even bother with the moat trick.

I would go max vita, I went max block, but find that spirit is so much a better sheild in terms of raw killing speed it's not worth it to use stormsheild. I personally hate switching b4 final kill, but even without the switch I have over 600MF.
    Seriously, Max bliz/icebolt/iceblast/glacial and CM. You'll kill so fast you won't need to worry about "tanking" minions etc...
    and if your merc is wearing decent gear he can take on pindle easily by himself (Mine's wearing vamp/shaft/tomb reaver) never dies to pindle :D

7. MercenaryKnight

MercenaryKnight Banned

If I go max vita blizz sorc do you still suggest getting high enough strength for using a spirit monarch? Also my merc gear consists of an archon fortitude, ethreal cryptic axe obedience and a vamp gaze for the leech and dr he needs heh. That was why i didn't really mind about pindle being cold immune. More then half the time I go with might merc and at around lvl 78 he does around 8k max damage. I am just not sure whether or not to put enough strength for a spirit monarch or be stuck with a lidless or some other shield.

Also Some times I just put an insight staff on my switch whenever I run out of mana pots. I dunno why but whenever I run meph in hell mode he seems to drop better stuff when I had 350s then now when I have the 450s and up.

8. parkerbsb

Well yeah I'd say the spirit is pertty important, lidless would suffice if you didn't want to invest THAT much in str, but you'll need to make up the FCR somewhere else (wich equals less MF). You don't seem "poor" so I'd try to get a nice str anni charm, that'll help out loads :D

The thing about MF is the nicer gear you have, the better gear you are looking for (not looking for magefists/wizardspikes anymore are you...) so it seems that the drops are crappy; but the higher your MF OVER TIME, the better results you'll get. That being said I'd rather run @ 350MF super fast rather than 600 MF slowly. Yes quantity of runs over quality.

Your merc setup is fine, I wouldn't change it at al

9. k/t

k/t Banned

Holy crap, YOU'RE RICH! Uh...hahaha, you can make whatever sorc you want, you have all the items...how long did it take you to get all that stuff? Your merc will kill Meph on his own...well, nearly...

If you go for a Spirit Monarch, you won't have enough points to go for max block, and you'll end up with a few % chance to block. Well, you COULD go for max block, but I think you'll have very little life in the end. 156 strength...plus a TON of dexterity... I started a ladder char right now in hopes of making some of the cheaper runewords and keeping them until ladder ends, but the fact that only a Monarch can accomodate Spirit really turned me off that runeword. I'm gonna try to make it in a Paladin shield with inherent resists, and hopefully come up with a Herald ersatz.

Hmm...why would you need to make up the FCR somewhere else if opting for Lidless instead of Spirit? Lidless has 20% FCR. The extra 15%? And, judging by the rest of your equipment, your Spirit has 35%... Try a crafted belt. That's what I got for my hammerdin when he needed an extra 5%.

10. Sirus

Sirus IncGamers Member

Hmm y all meteor/FO sorcs? I have been playing & researching on sorcs for 3 coming to 4 years now, Just started playing again after a 1 year break. i would say that for a complete all rounder MF sorc, i always recommend a tri-ele sorc. Ok hold up, i know the very idea of a tri-ele sorc will make u think that shes weak, but armed with a good merc, she kicks ass even in an eight person game. This might also be good if you are sick of the common builds. It also is more challenging and takes strategies to play but generally it can kill every monster in any level( of course with abit of skill ). Here is my build would appreciate comments! :)

DoA-bLeAcH Lv88 US West Ladder
    Str: 115
    Dex 200+
    Health: 170
    Energy: 240

Skills: (With Items)
    Lv 29 FO
    Lv 12 Cold Mastery
    1 to all prerequisites

Lv 18 Nova (Still workin on it)
    Lv 15 Light Mastery
    1 to all prerequisites

Lv 25 warmth
    Lv 24 Firewall
    Lv 23 Fire Mastery

Alternatively,
    Firewall can be substituted with Hydra, nova with CB. FO with blizzard (Blizzard can be abit tricky to aim at times).

Im using:
    Ptopaz Shako
    Ptopaz Tals armor
    Tals belt
    Tals Ammy
    PChance
    Ptravs
    Raven Frost
    SoJ
    1st Weapon/Shield switch
    'Ist' Oculus (Best all rounder mf weapon for sorc)
    'Sanctuary' Trolls nest (Has+fcr/+fhr/+blocking/20dex/+65Res!~!!)

2nd Weapon/shield switch (If the beating gets too tough~)
    *If i was rich i would use +6BO Cta tho
    Winstans (65% blocking)
    Wizzy (mainly cuz for the fcr and 75% all res)

* Most important~!
    Merc: Holy freeze merc
    - Eth cv 'Infinity' has -45-55% enemy's light res/lv 12 conviction aura
    - Eth Archon CoH +2skill/200%damage to demons/100%damage to undead/8%ll/20str/etc...
    -Eth Blackhorn's mask

I only carry the following charms:
    2 x 15all res GCs
    1 Anni
    The rests are empty
    * In the future, I would fill the rest of the slots with 7mf/20life scs or life/mana scs and a gheeds.

Total:
    Blocking 70% / Max on switch
    Life 750+ Mana 1100+ (Will Hit Above 1k+ life and 1.2k mana if i had more charms)
    75% all res
    500+ Mf (Excluding Merc)

With this set up i can kill mefy in less than 30 secs using static and than FO/Firewall. I also can tank most of the monsters in hell. (Except for those with fanatism+superfast+might aura+amplify damage!~~~). Hope u guys will like it.

Would like to get to know more on uncommon builds for sorcs lemme know if u have a interesting built!~ >.<

Peace out,
    Hope the guide helps abit!
    - Sirus -

11. k/t

k/t Banned

And this sorc holds up well in 1.1? I'd like to see her in action.
    Can you give a breakdown of her stats without items and then with? How did you get 240 Energy?
    And why is Warmth so high?

12. parkerbsb

Err I'm not rich... he is :D

Yeah the 15% makes a huge difference depending on gear... it could mean the difference of having to wear magefists (20fcr) versus chanceguards (40mf) to reach the all too important break point of 105.

BTW the ONLY runeword I own are 3 spirit sheilds (finally got a 35FCR one, the rest are gonna get traded for puls LOL).

... apparently I type slow. Nice tri-build, but I think the gear is a little uber for someone trying to get wealthy by MFing :p

13. Sirus

Sirus IncGamers Member

k/t will get back to you on the stats i'm now offline gonna sleep.. its 4am here lol.. Msg me online if u want us west ladder tho. /w *doa-sirus
    I just started an account from scratch... All my six previous accounts got deleted due to long periods of inactivation... Doing well with my mfing & trading tho~ :) parker don't be discouraged i found and traded everything i have now using only a month without buying online. You can do it too. I also don't use any forms of hacks.

Good luck!

-Sirus-

14. MercenaryKnight

MercenaryKnight Banned

To the one who asked how I got rich. Lots and lots of hell hellforges. During second ladder I have probably done over 20 of my own hell forges lol. I could like trade an um rune for 5 sock ethreal cryptic and traded 2 guls for the Lo I needed for the fort. I started the season by keeping any and all flawless gems and gull daggers I could find. 4 ptopaz armor and 3ptopaz helm sure helps a lot with hell meph mfing lol. I am just not sure whether or not to go max block with a spirit monarch considering the strength requirement is pretty high. If only their was a nice low str req shield you could use. I guess I might just go for spirit monarch and no block for now. I figure with the strength I will get I won't have to worry about popping.

I was wondering does anyone else have merc problems with meph. Mine can kill him but it seems like he leeches less then he does against hell baal. Maybe I need to find a helmet with higher life leech I think my crappy vamp has like 6%.

15. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Hell Meph is no leech, so don't bother.