Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

All About The Ring

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Wurmer, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

Hi Folks,

Season 3 has been going on a while now and like every new season it has brought us its plethora of new toys. I am certainly enjoying the new stuff but in the end I always come back to those 2 rings which are RORG and unity. It's too bad because there is plenty of new jewelry with cool mods but I can hardly fit them in any of my setups. It's especially true when your goal is to ride the highest GF possible.

So my question is, are you mostly using those 2 rings as well or are you able to fit other setups for any of your characters. If so what ring and on which character.

2. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I'm using Focus and Restraint on a multishot DH. I can't imagining switching those two out, because of the damage loss.

Foutch likes this.
  3. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I'm using Focus/Restrain on one of my barbs using full Wastes set and BK swords.

4. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I was thinking along those lines as well for my barb. I don't have any decent BK swords, but I have some decent ancient one hander. Maybe something featuring electricity.

5. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

It depends on my character, and set up but it's no longer the standby of RoRg/SoJ/Unity. Now there's CoE (takes place of the SoJ really...), the Focus Restraint set, and the zodiac ring.

If I'm running T6 it's usually F/R for sheer firepower. If it's speed GRs then it's usually CoE/RoRg. Pushing high GRs is usually unity/Zodiac (barb) or unity/halo (wiz).

6. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I have tried a few setups and for me it has become pretty obvious that over GR 40 I need a unity + RORG or Zodiac if running a full set. T6 pretty much anything goes. GR35-40 a few combos are possible.

7. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I'm wondering what you're using Wurmer. I'm guessing WW barb as per your mention of BK swords.

A friend of mine has done GR45+ without unity. In groups we've done 53, or maybe it was 54 so it is possible for sure. He was very lucky with an ancient boulder breaker though. Just thought you'd like to know. :)

8. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

9. Flux

Flux Administrator

Yeah, S3 started off with what looked like a huge variety of new rings, and early on players were running lots of CoE/RoRG. For a while I had CoE/Nat's on my DH, and I also used some Unity early into the mid-GRs. But like most players/builds, once I started using a good F/R, everything else looked weak. (Though I do miss CoE and those moments of 4x larger Crits.)

In retrospect, I think F/R is OP. The damage buffs should be a little smaller (or a lot smaller, like 10%, but capable of stacking up to 5x) and the duration should probably be 3s, like with Taeguk. That would make the rings still powerful, but a bit more specialized in use, where players had to constantly alternate spender/generator to get the full benefit. Instead of virtually every class in the game using F/R, like now.

I think the obvious void in rings now is one that's all about resource reduction or generation. We've got lots of damage rings and a CDR ring, but a ring with a power like Pride's Fall or Cindercoat could create some interesting build options.

Foutch likes this.
  10. Foutch

Foutch IncGamers Member

Flux is calling for a NERF of F/R? NOOOOO! Until I started using them, I couldn't even think of attempting any GR in the 40s!!! @Flux, if they nerf the set, may you forever be haunted by the spirit of Jay. :) And the ex wife. :p

11. Flux

Flux Administrator

If any given item is so good that almost every build/class uses it, isn't that the definition of OP and killing of variety?

Admittedly, my suggestion for F/R change is somewhat self-serving, since I'm playing mostly a Natalya's DH this season, and that build is basically perfect for F/R, since you are ALWAYS alternating spender/generator during combat. Usually more than once a second. But that seems to be what the F/R set was designed for; to reward or incentivize builds that use both. (Previous seasons, lots of builds were nothing but spenders.)

But since F/R is so good, many builds are now throwing in a generator every now and then just to keep the F/R double buff alive, which seems to pervert the design goal of the set?

Foutch likes this.
  12. Foutch

Foutch IncGamers Member

"You are awesome, Flux. Exactly what I was thinking." (Muahahahahaha)[​IMG]