Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

alibarba???

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by GargonCerlan, Jun 21, 2005.

1. GargonCerlan

GargonCerlan IncGamers Member

alibarba???

I was wondering if a build surrounding dual ali babas is a viable option for a barb. Since the weapons are inherantly slow, i figured frenzy might be a better option for this build rather than ww. I figure damage will be very low, even with upped ali babas. So this brings forth a few questions:

1) Would stacking significantly less than 100% CB/OW/DS (thinking 40% or so) help with the damage problem, or should I say make a notable difference in damage?

2) Would a fortitude armor and pride/might merc help this build at all?

3) Would using hwanin's armor for the chance to cast static field when struck mod be more useful than fortitude?

I'm looking to make a decent goldfinder, and have yet to delve into the depths of a frenzy barb so I don't know if the newer runewords can make this sort of build viable. I'd like to express that I would like to do private solo hell games and perhaps full nm games for gold finding, so the more %gf I can get the better, damage isn't necessarily my main concern, but I would actually like to find a balance between killing speed and gold finding.

End of my rambling, let's hear your thoughts.

GargonCerlan

2. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I'd be tempted to go with Berserk. The council at Travincial is the most popular Goldfind area and your biggest concern there is Fire. I don't think the physical attacks there are overly aggressive IIRC. Two Dwarf Stars should cover the fire while giving a nice GF boost. With maxed out BO, I suspect you'd do okay. Maybe a Highlords and some gores to help the DS out a bit and and some really nice resist charms to help out against the cold and lightning spellcasters in the area. Seems a pity to lose Wealth if you don't have to. You could also load some Um runes onto IKs helmet which has 2 sockets and is another convenient source +% gold find.

3. GargonCerlan

ok then, will berserk take care of the council quickly with upped ali babas? I dont even know what the damage on the weapon would be on an upped ali baba, any one know? This could be interesting and I'd like to try one out.

4. Pherdnut

Not so sure now. The damage on alis even upped is pretty crappy. It only gets slightly over 100 after weapon ED which isn't very exciting. Another possibility is relying on your merc to do the killing while you stun everything with Warcry. I don't know how well a singer does without gobs of +skills and FCR but that could work pretty well. But if you're keeping everything stunned that certainly deals with a lot of survivability issues rather neatly.

5. GargonCerlan

Ok, how does this bite you? Suppose we scrap the idea of the ali baba's since we both agree that the damage still is something to be desired even upped. I initially wanted the ali babas for the mf bonus it also yields. MF is nice, but not necessary. What about if I decided to dual wield 5 lem'd rune masters? Would you go frenzy or ww. Won't be hitting any breakpoints either way, but this is just for gold, and it would be nice to do it fairly quickly in half to full games. With this, I could theoretically wear wealth and dual lem'd ik helm, dwarf stars, etc. I'd like to do trav runs, hephaesto, and izual, as they supposedly are the highest gold yielding monsters in the game. basing my build on the rune masters, and nothing else, would you think ww or frenzy, or even berserk to be a quicker fit? And would high level howl or grim ward work to keep the monsters i dont really care about away?

6. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

Actually, that sounds like an awesome idea! :mad:

But, the people on non ladder will have to use the ali baba's with lems.

Don't you mean lems? :wave:

7. dymi

dymi IncGamers Member

hi

i am building sth similar to your idea
    see my "gambler" post
    i think that it could be viable and even if not i could always kill with sth else and then find item with alis (lemmed of course)

8. Pherdnut

Nah, I meant ums to cover the resists. Does Berserk alternate weapons or only use the one in your right hand?

I think I'm going to go the warcry route myself and use dual alis for the MF on top of the GF. Hell Trav Council can drop decent stuff.

9. GargonCerlan

Yes, but I think that to be really effective, you'd have to play in full games to get the most out of trav. What about using dual eth zoded upped ali babas with either lem or ist in the other socket each? This might lift the damage up to 200 on each weapon, still too low in my opinion. I don'k know about berserk and whether it uses the same weapon, but for some reason I think it does. Hmmm.... ***goes on to battle.net to find out***

Ok he does swing with one hand whether the skill is on left or right click. (it is his right hand when the barb faces the same direction that you do, i.e. straight ahead/up) So with this being the case, I should think that even if you had ali baba in one hand with 5 lem'd runemaster in the other, you'd be doing pretty well... and if you used warcry along with it, you could take out some of them without wishing you had a "better equipped" character. An even balance between mf and gf, I think that this might work, since howl synergizes both berserk and warcry! hmm... not sure, but off the top of my head, I think that synergized berserk with runemaster and axe mastery should give in the neighborhood of...2500 max damage or so??? which isn't all that bad considering the gear you'd likely end up using, and the fact that the council can't resist it.

10. Pherdnut

I tend to just rush through so I never noticed before but the barracks in Act I Hell difficulty had craploads of champions. Seems like a decent place for a warcry GFer.