Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alcohol

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dirkdig, May 31, 2005.

?

Which Character would you sell

1. ** Hammerdin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 90 Blizz/Baller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ** Fishy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 86 Zeal/Smiter/ Uber Fighter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

Alcohol

Would it be better or worse for society as a whole if alcohol never existed? I'm not talking prohibition, I'm talking about existance, period. On one hand, you'd have a lot less teen pregnancies and spousal abuse, but on the other hand, we wouldn't have beer!

2. Fallen Creation

Fallen Creation IncGamers Member

:scratch: I are confuzzled?

3. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

bah i thought i'd catch myself before anyone noticed :eek:

4. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

If it never existed no one would know about it, so therefore no one would miss it. But I'm sure something else would take it's place to cause the same problems. It's human behavior we need to fix.

5. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

I went with yes. But only because I knee-jerk reaction hate the stuff.

6. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Since I haven't seen society without alcohol, I can't really make a judgment. But it does taste mighty fine.

7. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Such questions should not be asked

8. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Fox and alcohol: together since 1987

A wise robot once offered this advice: "No liquor? Dosvidanya, comrade!"

And a wise bald man once gave this sage advice: "Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems."

9. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

If there were no Alcohol I am willing to bet that marijuana use, and Ecstacy use would SKY ROCKET!

10. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Without alcohol we may have never discovered fermentation. And that would mean no cheese, no levened bread, no soy sauce, no yogurt, and of course no beer or wine. This would be a culinary tragedy, and one of the fine arts of humanity -culinary arts- would be lost.

Also alcohol is awesome.

11. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

alcohol also has medicinal purposes... like ethyl alcohol to swab before a shot, etc.

12. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

Exactly, it has both practical and entertaining uses. three guesses on which uses i prefer.....

13. befkonijn

befkonijn IncGamers Member

if there's one thing they wil NEVER get out of societe, it's alcohol... and i wouldnt know why they actually should... most politicians like it too so they wont put a Ban on it! we would miss this --> :buddies:

and this in the morning --> :cheesy:

14. Akira

Akira Member

He's not saying prohibition, he's saying would it be better if it never existed.

And I say we're better off with it, otherwise we'd find some other crutch to hobble on and god only knows what that's like. I bet you can't make beer out of whatever it'll be though.

15. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Waw, you're the first person I meet who gets a kick from disinfecting wounds :thumbsup:

Anyway, alcohol rocks, for all its uses. Besides, if alcohol didn't exist all the ugly people wouldn't get girl/boyfriends, thus endangering the existence of mankind !!!

HoD

16. befkonijn

befkonijn IncGamers Member

no worries for you heh m8 ;)

i quote sth: (DONT mind the word 'moderation')

Alcohol is Good for Health
    by David J. Hanson, Ph. D.

Medical journalist Robert Kowalski points out that throughout history physicians have prescribed alcohol for its health benefits. They practiced without the benefit of science. However, “today, we have the scientific proof that drinking in moderation is actually good for most people.” He explains that

“In most cases, one can find research studies that back up one side of an issue and other reports in defense of the opposite. ... Rarely do investigators come to the same conclusion in study after study, with little or no equivocation. But that’s the situation with alcohol and heart health.

“Data have come in from all over the world. Studies have focused on both men and women, various age groups, and people of many ethnic groups. The conclusion remains the same: those who drink moderately live longer and have less risk of developing heart disease than those who abstain from alcohol. Published papers now total in the many hundreds.

“Still, some naysayers had their doubts. Perhaps the teetotalers previously drank excessively and had undermined their health, thus explaining their high levels of risk. In response, later studies excluded all but those who had avoided alcohol for their entire lives. The conclusion remained the same: alcohol confers protection against CHD (cardiovascular heart disease), and drinkers live longer than nondrinkers.” 1

As well known medical authority Dean Edell, M.D., asserts that “you would have to be living on another planet not to know that alcohol -- in moderation -- is good for your health.” 2

But which alcoholic beverage is the best choice? Dr. Edell explains that there are “differences of opinion about whether beer, wine, or liquor offers the quickest route to a longer life. Of ten major studies, one-third found this true for wine, one-third for beer, and one-third for liquor. Most researchers now believe that it is the alcohol in all of them that provides the magic, but they don’t rule out other components of alcoholic beverages.” 3

Of course, drinking alcohol is contraindicated for some people such as alcoholics, pregnant women, and those whose physician has recommended abstinence.

17. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

Be honest, if alcohol was never invented then we all know most of us would not be alive right now.

18. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

I think we need some kind of Obvious Statement of the Week award for gems like this.

19. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Yes. Drinking is evil.

20. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

No, drinking is bliss.

What about if cigarettes never existed. I bet even most of the smokers would agree on that one.