Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alcohol, 21, and Carding.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Jul 17, 2007.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Alcohol, 21, and Carding.

Okay this is a weird question but I've always wondered what the deal is.

If you go into a supermarket and grab some beers and a bottle of liquor or something and they card you but you are with a buddy that is under 21, will they card him/her too? What happens whhen they find out he/she isn't 21? Do you both get in trouble? Do they call the cops? Do they assume you are buying it for them? Will they just not let you buy it? Or do they have to since one of you is 21?

2. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Why would they card him? Is he buying anything?

3. Cheesehed

Cheesehed IncGamers Member

in pa you have to be 21 to go into the store

4. redtan

redtan IncGamers Member

Yes, if two people are at the cash register buying alcohol, they will card both. Most liquor stores will also not let anyone in if their not under 21, so just going in the store you might get carded.

If you're of age, and ur friend isn't, don't bother bringing him/her with you. Just have them wait in the car. They will most likely refuse to serve you if the both of you are not 21.

5. EliManning

EliManning IncGamers Member

Everywhere I've ever been they usually card anybody in a group that's checking out together with any amount of alcohol. They won't sell it to you if somebody isn't 21 but they aren't going to flip and call the cops or anything. Just have them wait in the car, they should be your DD anyway.

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Eh, my parents bought booze plenty of times when we went to the store when I was under 15 (no, not for my consumption) and I was never carded. I wouldn't recommend having him stand right next to you at the register.

7. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Okay well does it look suspicious if I'm checking out and my under 21 friend comes up to me at the register and then leaves while I check out? Can they do anything then like ask me where my friend is or whatever? As in, could they come into the store while someone 21+ grabs the alcohol and then they leave when the someone checks out?

8. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

The simplest thing to do is just leave his under-aged *** in the car. That way you have no problems.

9. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

iv seen kids (under 10) in liquor stores, i dont see any problems as long as the adults arent buying it for them, and the kids are being good in the store

10. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Its sort of a different matter to have parents with kids in a liquor store than it is to have a couple friends where some are 21+ and some are under. Its pretty safe to assume that parents are not buying liquor for their well underaged kids, just as its a pretty safe assumption that the 20 year old hanging out with the 21 year old will be getting into the liquor later on, hence the logic in not selling to the kids, and having no problem selling to the parents.

As others have said, just leave the under aged kids in the car. If they are in there with you, generally you'll have everyone with you get carded and wont be able to buy it when they discover the under 21's, but it'd be VERY unusual for them to flip out and call the cops or anything like that.

-Matt

11. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

That's how it is when you visit Elsie Bo here in Ontario.
    All liquor stores are Provincially run in Ontario.

In Quebec you can buy alcohol in convience stores and AFAIK the legal drinking age is just a suggestion.
    (Just kidding that's a line from the I am not Canadian parody)

12. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Around here any store that sells alcohol is required to card all non-parent/child members in a group purchasing alcohol. It kinda leaves a lot up to the discretion of the store...but everywhere I've ever been to has carded everyone in my group.

There's one store in town that is notorious for not selling at all if someone in the group is under 21. They'll refuse service to the whole group. You pretty much have to come back a while later by yourself and hope they don't recognize you, or just go to a different store.

Personally, I don't see the point in bringing someone under 21 with when you're buying alcohol...it's only asking for trouble.

13. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Yes. Why make it hard on yourself? Just tell your buddy to stay home, or stay in the car. Better yet, don't give booze to minors.

14. zombie hunter zach

zombie hunter zach IncGamers Member

I remember when I turned 21. I went into the store on my bday ready to buy my first bottle [legally] I was so ready to pull out my ID.

They never carded me =/ very disappointing

15. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Hmm okay. Close thread plz.

16. LuckyMe

LuckyMe IncGamers Member

What I've never understood about the whole "19 to drink/gamble (its 19 in Canada)" is that I am legally an adult at the age of 18. Granted said person may not have the maturity that involves the purchase and consumption of alcohol, however this person may also be charged as an adult, and is treated as an adult everywhere else. 18 is the worst age - can't do anything, get taxed for everything...

17. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Don't make it seem so horrible, man. If you can't wait to puke your face out then go grab a big bottle of NyQuil. Heck, it even comes with a shot glass. :laugh:

18. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Over here its 20 years to buy alcohol and 18 years to drink it.

So when going to the liquor store you just leave any person bellow 20 in the car.

They are usualy pretty smart though. Like when I was 15 years old me and my brother (32) went to the liquor store and he bought two $40 bottles of wine. The clerk knew it wasnt for me because no 15 year old would try and get someone to help him spend $80 on 2 bottles of white wine so they didnt make a fuss about me being underage.

19. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim IncGamers Member

Might have something to do with alcohol being regulated provincially, not federally.

Just, like, a guess.:jig:

20. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I've never been carded when I've been in line with someone who's buying and I can't remember anyone keeping me company ever being carded either. For some reason they ALWAYS ask me for ID when I'm the one who's buying though. A few months ago they even refused to serve me because my ID card was expired. :cry: