Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alaska

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SHAOC, Mar 1, 2004.

1. SHAOC

SHAOC Banned

Alaska

Is it true that they have sunlight 24 hours a day for like 6 months?

2. Freemason

Freemason Banned

No. That only happens above the Arctic Circle. I lived on Kodiak and only saw 21 hours of sun or dark a day.

3. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Q: Is it true that there is a magical tool called google.com where I can look up simple facts like this without spamming the otf?

A: Yes, that is true.

4. AgentOrange

AgentOrange IncGamers Member

Please don't spam the forums with someone that could easily be researched on MSN or Google, we're not textbooks. Well.....most of us...

5. SHAOC

SHAOC Banned

k.

I will stick with math and computer questions or something else easily googled like 5000000 other questions asked here. You picked out my post on purpose u troll.

6. killerpenguin

killerpenguin IncGamers Member

Maybe he asked the question in order to start a dialog. See, now we know that Freemason lived in Kodiak, which would not be information that you could find on a google search all that easily.

7. SHAOC

SHAOC Banned

Freemasons? Rumor has it that they know who killed JFK...and the secret location of elephant grave yards. But thats just what i see on tv.

8. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

they also consume human flesh and sodomize trees

so I hear

9. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

SHAOC, I live in Alaska and will answer your question.

The sunlight issue depends entirely on one thing: your latitude. How far north you are. Alaska stretches north-south for 1100 miles, and where Freemason lived in Kodiak, is towards the southern portion. Kodiak is at 58 degrees latitude and the sunlight variation is not as pronounced there.

The farther north you are, the more extreme the variation. I live in Anchorage. We're at 61 degrees latitude. On June 21, the sun rises at 4:15 am and sets at 11:40 pm. But during those 4+ hours where the sun is not up, it looks like twilight... not completely dark, not completely bright. I can wash my car at 1am without much trouble. In the wintertime, things flip flop. On Dec 21, the sun rises at 10:20 am and sets at about 3:30 pm. At the suns peak, around 1pm, it is only JUST above the horizon. It rises and sets in the south, and travels east to west in the process. In the summer, the sun will rise in the north, circle the sky, and set again in the north.

Barrow is the farthest north you can go in Alaska, or the U.S. THey are at 71 degrees latitude. The sun rises on May 2 or 3, and will not set until August 5 or 6. It is so far north, that at the suns lowest point, it still has not dipped below the horizon and so you never have a sunset. THey have 92 or 93 days straight with the sun above the horizon. In the wintertime, The sun sets Nov 18, and nobody sees it again until Jan 24. That is about 67 days of sunless sky. Around noon it will be twilight-ish... it's not completely dark, but the sun never quite breaks above the horizon. I've flown into there at noon before in December and January and it's odd to realize that it's lunchtime but it's practically nighttime outside. (and cold, usually -40 or lower).

What Freemason said about the arctic circle is essentially true. The arctic circle marks the places where, on the longest day, there is exactly 1 night where the sun doesn't set in the summer, and exactly 1 day where the sun doesn't rise in the winter. The farther above this circle you go, the more consecutive days/nights of sun/ no sun you get. Kotzebue sits just a few miles above it. It's real close. so they get only a few days of consecutive sun in the summer and only a few days of consecutive dark in the winter.

But generally, ANYWHERE in Alaska will have longer daylight in the summer, and less in the winter, than the other 49 states. Going farther north makes the difference more extreme.

10. SHAOC

SHAOC Banned

Does that make me a freemason then?

11. SHAOC

SHAOC Banned

dude you rule. If you have paypal I will send you five bucks. :buddies:

12. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

make it ten and we got a deal. Wait. What?

I never mind talking about Alaska. You ever want to know anything about here, or see pictures, or whatever else about AK, just ask.