Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Al Franken, still want to deny the media bias?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nnndave, Mar 24, 2004.

1. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Al Franken, still want to deny the media bias?

So now our good friend Al is taking a stab at talk radio. The name of the show is "The O'Franken Factor". When asked why the title, he said "Just to piss off Bill O'Rielly". Not only is the show immature from the very start, its an extra dose and a half of media liberalism.

Please, no one EVER tell me again the elite media doesn't have a liberal bias. Hear me out.

Al Franken, combined with all the other Liberal radio shows, combine for a grand total of forty Nation wide radio stations.

Sean Hannity ALONE has over 400 radio stations, this is not including Rush, Savage, or O'Rielley, which are all over 300.

It is obvious there are over 140x MORE stations with conservative castors. The shinanigens however are this: The mainstream media (New York Times, Broadcast channels) give 100% of their attention to the liberal ones, and 0% of their attention to the conservative ones.

But I don't care about them doing that. I hate how they make it look like thats how it is, which it isn't. On top of that, people STILL say there is no bias.

Al Franken and Michael Moore, all these other blantant conservative attackers, have recieved numerous book reviews, apperances on the daily show, and I just saw Al Franken on Letterman. Sean Hannity was invited to nothing. Even with all this, Hannity's book has surpassed Franken AND Moore's books in its first 2 weeks!!

I would think the media would follow the money and what the ACTUAL majority wants, why don't they? I'm thinking major liberal agenda.

2. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

How many books has Hannity crapped out so far, anyway? His toilet paper bill must be through the roof. His ugly mug and that ugly blonde chick's ugly mug are all over the place any time I step into a bookstore. I'm really starting to wish the media were liberally inclined.

3. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Why is giving a show a satirical name an indication of media liberalism? And what makes it immature beyond that?

Everyone loves an underdog.

Popular acclaim does not equal critical acclaim. It may very well be that the reason Hannity's book did so well is because of his 400 radio stations, and not because of the quality of the book.

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Al Franken is on 40 radio stations. Sean Hannity is on 400, and Rush, Savage, and O'Reilly (spell his name right if you're a fan, for god's sake), are all on over 300.

And there's a liberal bias in the media.

Gotcha!

5. Steel_Avatar

Dammit Durf! There you go pointing out glaring contradictions again :mad:

6. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Hannity and that ugly blonde chick need to stick with radio stations. Man. Who let the dogs out?

7. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Everyone knows the conservatives dominate talk radio. Thats the whole point. The media is making it look like the liberals are making some take over or something. Controlling talk radio does not equal controlling the media. It means it is their one and only strong point, do you think it's just coincidental that it just happens to be the LEAST mainstream?

It was a nice try though, I'll give it to you.

8. Steel_Avatar

Maybe it's the least mainstream because these figures tend to advocate what some would contend are rather extreme, and thus they are marginalised for it.

9. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Actually, no "Gotcha!". Sorry.

Do I need to point out that radio is a different medium than print and TV?

Heh, it's no secret that conservatives made the radio their home a long time ago. Liberals are just now seeking to catch up.

10. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Then maybe you should learn that the "Media" is a tad bit broader than books you see on the bestseller wrack at barnes and noble.

11. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

anyone got the over and under on how long 'til franken's show folds?

typical monologue:

franken: I hate bush
    guest: I hate bush too
    caller: I hate bush more than both of you
    franken: I hate bush infinity
    guest: I hate bush infinity plus 1

i sense great radio on the horizon...

12. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Or maybe it's because they're all really, really, really, ridiculously ugly. Hannity, that ugly blonde chick, Rush, O'Reilly, Savage, and that ugly blonde chick are all painful to behold. I wonder if any of them have ever thought that maybe there's something more to life.

Hey, some of you guys, why is it trivial for right wing, extremist, unattractive fruitcakes to dominate 90% of one third of our media and a devestating blow to our constitution for sensible, attractive, rational, Democratic-minded people to be allowed to voice their opinion through one fifth or less of the televised and printed media?

13. DurfBarian

Nope. In fact it's well known to me that you can't listen to a newspaper or read a radio broadcast. :) Although I did once try to smell my TV . . . :cheesy:

Perhaps my "gotcha" should have been along the lines of this:

Of course when a liberal makes an inroad into a conservative-dominated medium it's going to be more newsworthy than something like "yet another far-right shouter hits the airwaves."

14. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Since when did someone's physical appearance mean anything?

Grow up.

Soon.

15. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Sorry, thats now how it works. You don't get banished to radio because "some contend them rather extreme". Even if that were the case, Why would franken want a piece? oh... thats right... "to piss off Bill Oreilly".

The point isn't why conservatives are on the radio or not, its why do the libs get all the endorsement when its the conservatives who absolutely dominate?

A note on franken, lots of liberals listen to hannity and other conservatives b/c they give them a fair chance to lay out an arguement. Franken will just make dumb cracks because he's a COMEDIAN, not a pundit.

Also, guys, have you ever even listened to hannity once? He has by far the fairest politics discussion out there. These days all he's talking about is the election but you should really give him a chance, instead of just say "t3h stup1d f0xxor news n30-con!!!!11"

16. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Of course.

But that isn't really the point is it?

17. DurfBarian

It will be on the airwaves forever because outraged conservatives will give it all the attention it needs to stay in the public eye and thrive. :)
    That would be awesome radio if they all sucked on helium balloons while they did their bits. :drool:

EDIT:
    Then I don't know what the point is. "There's a media bias" falls apart as a statement when you look at the numbers of liberals and conservatives on the radio. It also falls apart if you admit that the newspapers reporting on Franken's new project are doing so because it's newsworthy, and not just because they want to help out a liberal brotha in his fight against the man.

18. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Cause franken and Moore are utter pimpdaddys themselves. Get a real argument.

......... wow.... just.... wow

19. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Exactly my point, chaps. You have no rebuttal because I'm not making an argument, I'm making a joke. I'm being a comedian. I'm not a liberal force dominating your presumably serious conservative thread. Have you read Franken's book? It's one hilarious joke after another, and some crap he may or may not have actually looked up crammed in between jokes to make sure the book of jokes gets attention.

20. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

I swear, because of this forum I only get about 3 hours of sleep..... :rant:

# 1 source of information- Newspaper
    # 2 source of information- Television
    # 3 source of information- Internet (actually Internet might be higher than Television now)
    #4 source of information- radio

1, 2, and possibly 3, are clearly biased to the left, and 4 is clearly biased to the right...

Also, a Gallup poll done showed that journalists tend to be more left wing, meaning that the information is filtered through left wing thought.

Sorry I don't have a link for the poll, these were all stats I learned in political science 2051 last semester. I'll try and see if they are in my textbook, not just my notes.