Al Franken Body Slammed A Heckler!

Hellfire

Diabloii.Net Member
Al Franken Body Slammed A Heckler!

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/16692.htm

January 27, 2004 -- EXETER, N.H. - Wise-cracking funnyman Al Franken yesterday body-slammed a demonstrator to the ground after the man tried to shout down Gov. Howard Dean.
The tussle left Franken's trademark thick-rim glasses broken, but he said he was not injured.

Franken - who seemed in a state of shock and out of breath after the incident - was helped back to his feet by several people who watched the tussle. Police arrived soon after.

"I got down low and took his legs out," said Franken afterwards.
This guy is a freaking psycho!!

Franken said he's not backing Dean but merely wanted to protect the right of people to speak freely. "I would have done it if he was a Dean supporter at a Kerry rally," he said.
Hey Franken, does the heckler not have the right to speak freely? Or are you gonna go hulkamania on every heckler excersizing their freedom of speach?

This guy must be going through some sort of mid-life crisis or something.

Plum

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm wondering if that's even legal. Anywho, the guy's not exactly a proponent of the whole anti-his opinion type of speech, so it's no big surprise. Also, he's an entertainer; he must know that such an action would draw plenty of attention.

Hellfire

Diabloii.Net Member
Al's new book:

Hecklers and the Heckling Hecklers Who Tackle Them: An Unbalanced Look From The Ground."

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
/Me wonders how hard Hellfire would be cheering if Rush Limbaugh had punched a liberal heckler in the face at the RNC

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
He almost got in a fight with Sean Hannity at some press party or something. But o well, he's a "comedian" afterall.

Hellfire

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
/Me wonders how hard Hellfire would be cheering if Rush Limbaugh had punched a liberal heckler in the face at the RNC
I wouldn't be cheering I'd say "what the hell Rush? You popping pills again? Get a grip."

Seriously, this kind of behavior is absurd.

nnndave said:
He almost got in a fight with Sean Hannity at some press party or something. But o well, he's a "comedian" afterall.
The guy has no self control. He can't take the heat in arguments without resorting to violence. What a loon.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Hellfire said:
I wouldn't be cheering I'd say "what the hell Rush? You popping pills again? Get a grip."

Seriously, this kind of behavior is absurd.
OK, cool. That's the most level-headed thing I've ever seen you write. :D

I imagine the heckler is going to make quite a bit of money off of this whole thing . . . How long before he shows up in the police station with some bandages on and some charges to press against the loose cannon? :xflash:

Hellfire

Diabloii.Net Member
Plum said:
Sorry to break it to you, but most extremist political entertainers are "loons".
Most extremist political entertainers dont go around body slamming people and instigating fights with their political opponents.

Plum

Diabloii.Net Member
Charges would probably make Franken famous though. His sort of audience would probably love him for it. It could be a win-win situation for both, in a sense.

Plum

Diabloii.Net Member
Hellfire said:
Most extremist political entertainers dont go around body slamming people and instigating fights with their political opponents.
Yeah, but it's just a physical extension of the verbal senselessness they spew most of the time.

Hellfire

Diabloii.Net Member
Plum said:
Yeah, but it's just a physical extension of the verbal senselessness they spew most of the time.
Plum, I realize you're a liberal and you probably really like Al Franken, but seriously, there comes a time when people just go too far. And this is one of them. Body slamming a heckler... the guy needs theropy. You would never see Sean Hannity or other level headed individuals do that. A guy who body slams hecklers just cant be taken seriously.

Plum

Diabloii.Net Member
Hellfire said:
Plum, I realize you're a liberal and you probably really like Al Franken, but seriously, there comes a time when people just go too far. And this is one of them. Body slamming a heckler... the guy needs theropy.
Frankly Hellfire, I don't respect the guy in the slightest. That's my policy with pretty much all of the political commentators, such as Limbaugh, Franken, Moore, Coulter, etc. I already questioned the legality of it, so I thought I was at least semi-clear.

cyclotronic

Diabloii.Net Member
Al did not almost get in a fight with hannity, He simply pointed out biases in his reporting and really drilled them in until hannity threatned als life, afterwhich he left.

Al was a great wrestler in high school, so his natural instinct kicked in. Im sure he didn't merely tackle him because he disagreed with his statement. Thats illegal and Al knows not to do such a stupid thing.

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
cyclotronic said:
Al was a great wrestler in high school, so his natural instinct kicked in. Im sure he didn't merely tackle him because he disagreed with his statement. Thats illegal and Al knows not to do such a stupid thing.
Yeah... poor Al... :rolleyes:

Winger

Diabloii.Net Member
Al Franken did NOT bodyslam anybody. That's a load of BS from the Washington Post, which is one of many print equivalents of Fox News. Here's what really happened:"

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) -- Followers of perennial presidential candidate Lyndon LaRouche interrupted a campaign event for former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean on Monday before being drowned out by Dean supporters and removed from the room with the assistance of comedian Al Franken.

As Dean was addressing a crowd in Manchester, the fans of LaRouche -- who is something of an outcast in the Democratic Party for his extremist views -- began screaming that Dean is "a liar" and not a Democrat. They said the only candidates telling the truth are LaRouche and Sen. John Kerry, the apparent front-runner in the race.

The crowd began cheering "Howard Dean, Howard Dean," drowning out the LaRouche supporters as they were removed from the room.

Franken, a comedian and self-described liberal well-known for his attacks on the Bush administration and conservative-leaning media, helped carry out one of the disrupters. In the process, Franken's glasses were knocked off his face and broke in two.

Putting them back together with electrical tape, he quipped he had been "deputized" by Dean's security.

LaRouche supporters also heckled Sen. Joe Lieberman at a town hall meeting at Milly's Tavern in Manchester Monday evening.

Observers said the LaRouche crowd was forcibly removed by Lieberman supporters and Capitol Hill security staff who guard the senator.

Several people in the audience said they were completely unaware that there had been any disruption, but the Manchester Police were summoned to the scene and responded en masse.

Earlier, at a Kerry event, a woman asked the candidate, "Will the Democratic candidates tell us about the American situation in the global economy? Will you? And if not, why?"

"I think you've asked that question about three different places we've been, on behalf of Lyndon LaRouche," Kerry responded before stating his stances on international trade and domestic job growth.

CNN's Jeanne Meserve and Sasha Johnson contributed to this report.
CNN