Akukami's Glitch Hell Meph MF Sorc Guide

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, I'm making a sorc roughly as described (exception, I'm using 75 energy because it's my first char, and I'm maxing teleport before ice bolt for personal reasons). I'm planning to use it for rushing lvl 1 chars to Act 3 Hell, NOT Meph-running.

Some questions on gear:
3-Sock PRuby Helm OR 3-Sock PSkull Helm - does it matter what it's in? Or just anything with 3 sock?
Spectral Shard - how much is this? (i.e., how many PGems, or how much gold?)
Shield: 3-Sock PDiamond Large Shield OR 30/20 Priz Bone Shield. I got a 15/10 Priz (20 all) Bone shield, but gave up on a 30/20. Does it matter? (And how important is full res for hell, if I'm only doing acts 1 and 2?)
Twitchthroe - same question as shard, how much?
Gloves: Magefist OR Frostburn - does it matter which? Magefist is FCR, how important is it to hit 70%? How much are these? (I've seen someone selling frost for 500k earlier today)
Belt: Nightsmoke OR Bladebuckle - again, how much?
Amulet: +1 or +2 Sorc Priz Amulet OR The Mahim-Oak Curio - I found the Eye of Etlich. Will this suffice, or do I need the extra skills/res/att from the above ammys?

as you level this new sorc, you will find out what type of gear suits your style of play. I would go with a zero skill priz/stacked priz ammy over the eye of elitch if in hell.

if you are fast enough on the teleporting, and skilled enough to avoid getting whacked, you can in fact just down thawing and antidote pots for the temporary boost in CR/PR, but a lack of LR, and periodically FR in hell will kill you very very fast.

as for gloves - I love the fcr of magefists over the mana of frosties. magefists/shard hit that breakpt perfectly, and can allow you to use cheaper, easier to find higher rez/twinker rings that may not have fcr.

re: tri sock helms. do some cows, and pick up several. you may find that the rep of skulls helps your style of play, or the extra life of prubies does, or the extra mf along the way during rushing of 3 p topazs is neat for a gull off of nm andy from time to time, or p saphies for extra mana instead of the frosties, or finally, if you find heavier gear that suits your style of play, the pamy's for a ton of extra str...

since you're rushing with this char, instead of mfing, the extra space inside your cube/stash/pack taken up by the extra masks/crowns wont matter :)

Foxy Neko

Diabloii.Net Member
Really great guide, just built this sorc... i added some force to be able to use wizardspike for the fcr and the resi. i will add a viper to add some fcr and resi and be able to tank mephi easily.... and thanks to this built for my first runs on mephy i just found a shako, a gheed 40 mf and guillaume face, wich is not very rare but will be really usefull to my zealot :D so thanks for your guide ^^

squiggle

Diabloii.Net Member
Really great guide, just built this sorc... i added some force to be able to use wizardspike for the fcr and the resi. i will add a viper to add some fcr and resi and be able to tank mephi easily.... and thanks to this built for my first runs on mephy i just found a shako, a gheed 40 mf and guillaume face, wich is not very rare but will be really usefull to my zealot :D so thanks for your guide ^^
This is classic.

While I'm here I might aswell ask, I get mostly rares from glitched meph...Would higher mf help turn these into Unique? Or MF useless on a quest drop?

Byaxident

Diabloii.Net Member
Not sure why you would want more uniques but yes higher mf would help you get more of them; and more sets and failed sets and failed uniques.

Corrupted

Diabloii.Net Member
Aye, but in terms of rares it definately does more bad than good, you get so many failed sets when you wear mf. There's really no use of mf unless you're trying to get SoJ (Which is better done at Andariel.) or in a rush to get certain uniques asap.

FireMarshal

Diabloii.Net Member
Anyone else on USWEST happen to be making a Glitcher? I simply hate leveling up this kind of character. There is no powerful spell until level 30.....

I could really use the company :)

OR, I will powerlevel your character if you powerlevel mine!

*dream.theater
*dreamxtheaterx

Dabljuh

Diabloii.Net Member
Aye, but in terms of rares it definately does more bad than good, you get so many failed sets when you wear mf. There's really no use of mf unless you're trying to get SoJ (Which is better done at Andariel.) or in a rush to get certain uniques asap.
There are no unique execs or set execs in classic. Meaning, more MF will not reduce the number of rare or magical execs. Remember how the rolls works! First the treasure class is selected, and then the item quality. And then MF is used to upgrade the item quality.

With more MF you get more normal uniques, and more failed exceptional uniques aka rares - but ultimately the same number of exceptional rares, only more frequently with additional durability

Unless you absolutely only want blues, MF is a good thing. Rares that can't be upgraded to uniques because there's no exceptional uniques in D2C don't get downgraded to blues.

Akukami

Diabloii.Net Member
Unless you absolutely only want blues, MF is a good thing. Rares that can't be upgraded to uniques because there's no exceptional uniques in D2C don't get downgraded to blues.
Not when you're Glitching, and that's because you always get quest drops. I've never gotten more than 1 Magic item in at least 15 games whenever I glitched Meph. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me.

- Akukami

Dabljuh

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a smiliar track record. But how would the mechanics be different with the meph glitch? Why would MF hurt? Couldn't the quest drop be more accurately explained by simply different TCs (which are known) and a much quality upgrade multiplier?

Last edited:

Akukami

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a smiliar track record. But how would the mechanics be different with the meph glitch? Why would MF hurt? Couldn't the quest drop be more accurately explained by simply different TCs (which are known) and a much quality upgrade multiplier?
Like I said, just try it w/ and w/o MF. :grin:

- Akukami

Dabljuh

Diabloii.Net Member
Like I said, just try it w/ and w/o MF. :grin:

- Akukami
I don't try, because until I do a couple hundred runs it says nothign. But looked it up, here. Let me guess, one only gets blues when you're wearing MF?

That could be... a calculation error from the game. With quest drops, the chance for both magical and rares is 100% - without MF. I guess with MF, because blues profit more significantly from it, the chances for magical items becomes higher than that of rares.

But failed _normal_ set items (triple dura blues) from hell meph? That'd be surprising.

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
I don't try, because until I do a couple hundred runs it says nothign. But looked it up, here. Let me guess, one only gets blues when you're wearing MF?

That could be... a calculation error from the game. With quest drops, the chance for both magical and rares is 100% - without MF. I guess with MF, because blues profit more significantly from it, the chances for magical items becomes higher than that of rares.

But failed _normal_ set items (triple dura blues) from hell meph? That'd be surprising.
Actually, magic items which are failed sets have double durability and rares which where failed uniques have tripple durability. I'll stick some MF on my glitcher and see if I get some. I know I've gotten quite a few failed exceptional sets and failed exceptional uniques from andy.

Akukami

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually, magic items which are failed sets have double durability and rares which where failed uniques have tripple durability. I'll stick some MF on my glitcher and see if I get some. I know I've gotten quite a few failed exceptional sets and failed exceptional uniques from andy.
Thanks for that. At least someone's not lazy around here. :rolleyes:

- Akukami

fledgeling

Diabloii.Net Member
can anyone confirm that character level does not affect the (quest) drops?
because I think I should level my glithcher and travi barb (67 and 75 respectively) for better drops, because I dont have good results

squiggle

Diabloii.Net Member
because I think I should level my glithcher and travi barb (67 and 75 respectively) for better drops, because I dont have good results
Level doesn't affect drops.

I don't have "proof" But I'm sure I would know if people knew different :p

Akukami

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd like to say it doesn't, but all five times I made my Glitchers, I always hit the jackpot between Level 67 to 77. After that, the drop quality teetered a bit, and I remember finding only 5 SoJ worthy items and 2 SoJs. It could've been just bad luck, but I highly doubt that.

- Akukami

CdMagicFind

Diabloii.Net Member
1) Level doesn't matter afaik.

2) MF, basically, should work like this.

a) TC - what type of items you can get
b) Quality Roll - Rolls for uniques, then sets, then rares, then magics

I'm not sure whether MF is factored in before or after, but I don't think it matters much.

If you get a "failed unique", as in there's no unique for that item, you get a 3x dura rare.
If you get a "failed set", you get a 2x dura magic.

I'm not sure whether more or less MF is better, but basically it helps the chances of rolling a unique, meaning more 3x dura rares, but also increases the chances of a set, 2x dura magics. Quest drops always, always, always should, afaik, drop only rare or higher though.

So by wearing MF, you increase your chances of getting the $&% blue items but also increase the chances of getting the &$&%* triple dura items.

There's always normal items too, in which case you sometimes want the unique (gull, shard) and sometimes don't want it (cap..?), and the sets are generally not so great but can sometimes be alright.

This is only in recollection, though.

Dabljuh

Diabloii.Net Member
The chance for a rare with a quest drop is 100%. So, the only type of blues you get from a quest drop would be failed sets? Hence, MF or not, you're going to have blues (since there's always a chance for something to be a set) and MF is going to increase that chance?

Alright, that makes sense. So I guess I won't take off MF. Triple Dura Rares FTW!?