Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ahhhh My CD Drive

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rice_Farmer3, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Rice_Farmer3

Rice_Farmer3 IncGamers Member

Ahhhh My CD Drive

the title says it.
    my CD drive (which is only 2 months old) is killing me.
    when i first boot the computer and put the CD in(95% of the time D2 CD), it works fine, but after an hour or so, it kind of stops working and the CD comes out really hot. and in situations where i have to put more than one cds in and out (like when installing D2 and LOD), it usually doesn;t recognize CDs after the first one. I've done almost everything like uninstall/reinstall the Drive Etc...
    Any helps from computer people?

2. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

If the drive has a 3 month warranty, I suggest getting it replaced. I dont think there's a whole lot that can be done for a malfunctioning CD drive. I wouldnt assume that it just needs to be cleaned desperately since it's only 2 months old, but I suppose it couldnt hurt to run a cleaning disc through it if you have one. The CD coming out of the drive really hot leads me to believe it's a problem in the drive itself, not just with how it's connected to the rest of your computer.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Sounds like the gears are getting slowed down some how. Does it make any noise?

2 months should mean it is still under warranty, send it in for a replacement after making a copy of your games with one of those virtual drive programs.

4. Rice_Farmer3

yeah it does make noises. actually, it makes noised when it shouldn't (compared to how it was before) and doesn't make any noises when it should.
    so basically just get a new one? and if i do get a new one, will it be easy to install? there aren't that many things i can do with a computer besides D2 :lol: so hope it doesn't require a computer geek armed with plasma cutters...

5. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

CD drives are pretty easy to install if I remember correctly. It's been a couple of years since I lasted installed one, but I dont recall it being too complicated.

Check out the inside of your computer case. There should be two cabels connected to your current CD drive. One goes to the power source and the other connects the drive to your motherboard. Just disconect the cables, unscrew the mounts, remove the drive and put in the new drive in the same steps reversed.

I'm pretty sure your computer will recognize and self-install the new drive. It's not like a new hard drive where you have to worry about partitioning, and getting it to work with your OS & motherboard. However, if you dont feel safe installing the CD drive on your own, there are plenty of guides available online. A Google search would probably suffice in finding a helpful guide for such a procedure.

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

ya you can usually get one for free (after mail in rebates), if not very cheap, depending if there is a sale or not. Try major retailers such as Best Buy and CompUSA.

7. Rice_Farmer3

ok guys thanks for your helps. one more queston.
    are you guys positive that there is problem in the drive it self, not the cable or the power source. just making sure becauest its gonna really suck if i install a new cd drive and it still doesn't work.

8. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

Only one way to find out eh? Crack open your computer case and take a gander at the cables. If they seem to be connected correctly, then it must be the drive itself.

Edit: the power source is a little bit harder to check, because you'll need a meter to measure it. You could take it to a computer repair shop and see if they'll take a quick look at it. I once had a problem where my motherboard wasnt getting enough power from my power source and the guy at the shop fixed it with a simple lil $5 splitter cable. It might be worth taking it in to the shop. *shrug*

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

If it isn't the drive, a cable should be less than 5$ to replace.

If it was the power supply it would work or it wouldn't but it wouldn't cause the overheating.

10. Nword

Nword Banned

Anyone else think that a lot of today's CD drives are just junk? :eek:

11. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Cheap computer parts tend to be junk.