Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ahh.. The oh-so often asked question.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ScarsOfTomorrow, Jun 17, 2005.

1. ScarsOfTomorrow

ScarsOfTomorrow Diabloii.Net Member

Ahh.. The oh-so often asked question.

Hi I'm Da- *puts shin guards on* Hi I'm Dan. =D
    I've been hanging around the forums reading most of the posts and decided finally that maybe I should get around to reinstalling D2. I made my first character in about two years today and got him through act 1 fairly quickly, and trying to get him past normal so I can play HC. All the while thinkin, " What kind of character should I make once I can play HC. " Ofcourse, everyone asks this stupid question. I don't want to make a cookiie cutter build. But on this, there's a spin on it. I have absolutely NOTHING. Everything that I will be using will be what I find. So basically, what is a fun to play, somewhat viable ( Through about nm act 4 ish, I doubt I'll survive longer than that ) , not.. equipment dependent character to make? :D

2. essojay

essojay Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:

For just beating SC Normal as quickly as possible, I would think a zealot or a trapsin would be just fine. In HC, a fishymancer would be good to start with.

3. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Hiya and welcome.

If you've already played the game, then it seems a waste that you have to get a char through normal (all the way?) before creating an HC char. You could try the function in ATMA (read the FAQ if you haven't already) to create a character and check the HC box. Save the char and play it, or if you aren't comfortable playing a character created in ATMA, you should be able to create new HC chars simply from having an existing one. I think.

4. ScarsOfTomorrow

Yea but I had to reinstall, so I have none of my other characters. Just the one I started today

5. Sir Lister of Smeg

Sir Lister of Smeg Diabloii.Net Member

The problem with hardcore untwinked is that it's quite likely you'll end up with the cheasier characters being the only ones who actually do manage to get far. That said, beating normal should be possible with any character if you play careful enough. Getting to act IV nightmare is another matter entirely. But if you act V and cow runs at players8 for a while before venturing into nightmare you still might succeed with most characters. But, especially the jungle areas in act III can be very problematic for some.

6. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

I understand that you had to start over. Unless you are looking forward to running a softcore char through normal, read again the suggestions above on how to get around that.

Also, if AlterEgo has time to comment, he routinely takes untwinked chars to guardian and may offer some advice on a class/build.

7. ahcw

ahcw Diabloii.Net Member

Hey Dan, just wanted to say that I can rush you through normal really super duper fast to help you start that HC char. Of course this is assuming you can host and what not....just PM me if you want me to do that.

Anyways welcome to the SPF and enjoy your stay :)

8. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Diabloii.Net Member

Not sure about "routinely", :lol: but thanks.

1.10 is a pretty tough patch for non-standard untwinked HC characters (Nightfish will probably disagree, but he's a very advanced/expert player ;) ). I recommend starting with one of the proven starter 1.10 HC builds - skellimancer, meteorb or trapsin. Any of these can be easily converted to a HC MFer to begin stocking the rest of your characters.

9. water_moon

water_moon Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome Dan, why don't you tell us a little about yourself while enjoying this goodie basket of baked goodness. Just don't feed the goodies to the squid. Oh, and read the stickies (tourneys are fun, and ATMA is the best)

My tuchus, we have tourneys where HC, untwinked, underpowered, restricted chars make it all the time.

I suggest an iron barb, they have a ton of life so "mistakes" are less likly to get you killed. Also, they aren't cheesy and with find item you can double your drops.

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Damn you. :mad:
    Anyway, welcome and enjoy your stay. AS your your question, i'd make a sorc. they are great fun, generally not very item dependant, and have alot of variety whilst still being hell-able (just look at sidhe's quest of 14 different matted sorcs, you cant do that with many other characters. :thumbsup: )

11. ScarsOfTomorrow

Thanks for any input and suggestions so far. Too bad I didn't read earlier how to get around making it through normal for HC sooner. I'm already making my way steadily through act 4 with my summon/elemental druid. Since I Dled ATMA today I think my first character for HC shall be a cheesy sorc build that can MF good. While that's going on, I'm making a Lancer for the " I got the melee blues" tournament, so that should be very exciting. What I'm going to start once I have my sorc up and running shall be decided at a later time. =)

12. Kool69

Kool69 Diabloii.Net Member

*Drums on his drum* Well to make a HC fast without having to beat the game first...... sign onto b-net, instantly the option to make HC characters opens. =D pretty nifty huh? :D

(And by sign on I mean actually log onto an account)

13. ScarsOfTomorrow

CD-Key generator.. I lost the classic CD key. =(