After reset: Summoner + ?

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member
After reset: Summoner + ?

Hi all,

Since there's a ladder reset expected shortly, a friend and I have been discussing our new start. I recommended a Summoner to him, because he's fun, easy and effective and requires no godly equipment to be able to survive Hell. We plan to play together, of course. So, I've been wondering, what kind of build should I pick, considering the lack of equipment? I've been thinking about an Avenger, because they seem very fun to me. But they don't really benefit from teaming with a Summoner (aside from the meatshields and a bit of Amplify Damage); something like a Hammerdin/Zealot (using Concentration/Fanatism) would fit better, I'd say.

So basically, the question comes down to this: what character lacking good equipment with what build will team up greatly with a Summoner? Would an Avenger using conviction (reduced defense doesn't really matter to skellies) still do well? Or maybe an Enchantress, or a Concentrator? Damn, I can't make up my mind! Please, make some suggestions! :laugh:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, if you're planning on PvM then it doesn't matter too much to most builds if you don't have great gear (I know from experience), particularly if you're playing with friends and not going to solo. If you're partying with a Summoner I'd go with something that has decent benefits for his skeles, and while you're at it why not take advantage of his amp damage skill? A zealot would be ideal, although maybe a little boring if you've played a lot of them before. They do need decent gear, but if you don't do a lot of PvP you'll still probably be fine, particularly with that amp curse.

Other physical damage builds like the smiter and charger would also be good choices. Of course, you may want to have a different damage source to the necro (not really necessary, I soloed with my Summoner and never had serious problems), which means you don't get the advantage of his amp skill - in this case you're right, Hammer or Avenger would be your best options. That way you still give your friend aura benefits.

I'd be interested to see if a Lord of Mages and an Avenger would work well, actually. I used skele mages with my Summoner and they aren't as bad as you think. That might be a little adventurous for you though.

Frankly, there are heaps of options. Since your friend has an impressive meat shield (well, a bone shield anyway) you could always go with ranged attackers, that amp would be nice for a windy druid or a decent Amazon. In fact you could go with a poison javazon; you wouldn't give many direct benefits to each other but having that wall of skellies in front of you would be hella-useful and that poison cloud would suck the life out of just about anything, then the skellies can finish them off.

But I don't think a ladder reset is expected, so maybe this is all moot.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
It would probably be best to choose a build that utilizes your friends meatshields. Seeing as how every monster will be attracted to all his summons, something like a trapper, hammerdin, light fury zon, or a blizz sorc or meteorb. All those should work well, although a few might require better equipment, but they should all benefit your friends summoner.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
The key word there is expected. The ladder season was expected to be 15-16 months, but that means a reset by December 8 or so. Then it was expected over the winter holidays, so who knows if that'll happen. There's no consistent schedule, and I think it's too much to expect Blizzard is waiting to have new preventions up and running (with/out 1.12 bug fixes), and this is why it's taking longer.

Anyway, it totally depends on your friend's exact build and skill placement. Which curse will he concentrate on? If Amplify Damage, then an Exemplar would be great. The magnificent physical damage from your build, as well as Might/Conc/Fanat (plan for a Pride in the future) auras would be insane. OTOH, if he's going with a pure summonmancer, Might/Pride merc and planning to carry a Beast/AoKL, then the auras will really be senseless. You don't want to overlap, so for that a Trinitar would be ideal: Blessed Aim merc with Infinity planned as his future weapon, while the character uses Salvation/Thorns and attacks with Vengeance/Conversion. I call this combination Hot Potato, as you can't be hit without taking physical/elemental damage, and when you hit the monsters they'll take damage regardless of immunities or resistances. Combine that with your own type of summoning (converts, Revives and Returned), and you have very complimentary builds.

It all depends on if you're only going to play these characters with each other, and if you're talking about complimenting Necromancer/Paladin combinations.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
A singer or chucker Barb would be fun - not terribly powerful, but I always wanted to try one.

hardnfast

Diabloii.Net Member
The key word there is expected. The ladder season was expected to be 15-16 months, but that means a reset by December 8 or so. Then it was expected over the winter holidays, so who knows if that'll happen. There's no consistent schedule, and I think it's too much to expect Blizzard is waiting to have new preventions up and running (with/out 1.12 bug fixes), and this is why it's taking longer.
Previous ladders have lasted around 12 months, I don't think the ladder will be reset this year.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
A singer or chucker Barb would be fun - not terribly powerful, but I always wanted to try one.

A singer would combo up with a summoner nicely - provide a nice hp boost, gets the advantage of the necro's amp damage curse, and doesn't have to worry about getting swamped always. He can also use his battle cry skill to drop the enemy's defense and make it that much easier for the skeletons to hit... plus the singer would have the advantage of being easy to equip. Dual spirit swords ftw!

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
A singer would combo up with a summoner nicely - provide a nice hp boost, gets the advantage of the necro's amp damage curse, and doesn't have to worry about getting swamped always. He can also use his battle cry skill to drop the enemy's defense and make it that much easier for the skeletons to hit... plus the singer would have the advantage of being easy to equip. Dual spirit swords ftw!
Yeah, but skellies don't really need HP or chance to hit. The warcry stun might be handy (I don't know, I never used it but always wanted to) but not all that often. Singers are best for fragile chars, and a Summoner is anything but fragile.

Well, unless he gets caught ahead of his summons.

RequiemDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Perhaps an odd suggetion would be another summoner of a slightly different build... For example, your friend could use a bone/summon hybrid, and you could do an all out summon overlord, or a poison/summon hybrid... Might even think about a druid summoner... Oak sage is a wonderful thing to have around to help the summons out a bit more... I just like the idea of many minions taking on everything for you until getting decent gear for other builds... But, I also like the singer idea...

*Requiem_Death

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you thinking Warcraft 3?

Previous ladders have lasted around 12 months, I don't think the ladder will be reset this year.
Last ladder reset was August 8, 2005. The one before that was March or April, I believe (spring break?), and 1.10 was released November of 2002. It averages approximately 16 months per season, which is why I suggested early December - late December at the most, to coincide with the holidays.

Frosty_The_Snowman

Diabloii.Net Member
Last ladder reset was August 8, 2005. The one before that was March or April, I believe (spring break?), and 1.10 was released November of 2002. It averages approximately 16 months per season, which is why I suggested early December - late December at the most, to coincide with the holidays.
That would be wonderful, but then again there's no evidence for that to happen :undecided: !

hardnfast

Diabloii.Net Member
My memory's failing me then, I thought season 1 went for about 9 months, season 2 for about 12.

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member
Thank you all for your replies. I guess I'll wait until Blizzard actually anounces the reset is imminent. But for now, a Zealot seems attractive; I've never done this before and I might also use this build as a 1-point Smiter. Trinitar sounds good as well, with the Necromancer utilizing Mages.

PS. I meant a Fishymancer; sorry about that. I should have been a bit more specific...

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
A Zealot would definitely be powerful, that Fanaticism aura would go a long way with those skellies. You should have more than enough 1-point wonders to take care of any unbreakable physical immunes between you, too.

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member
Hehe, unbreakable physical immunes have always been very fun to me. They're quite rare and when I meet them, it's like a break from the monotomous killing. I just sling CE and actually raise some Mages just to see what happens. It's fun, really :azn: ! And even if I can't kill them, I'll just run away (yeah, yeah, I know. Not very heroic...).

In other words: physical immunes? Whatever. Not to step on anyone's toes, but I don't understand the fuss about them. :rolleyes:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Depends on your build.

But my Summoner has maxed out mages, and they aren't as bad as people think. I don't remember having any problems with immunes. In fact, I was going to use lower resist as a backup to amp in case I found a lot of unbreakables, but as I recall it hardly ever came up in the end.

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member
I think Mages are good, too, but they are a one-point wonder to me. But I think I'm going to get Infinity and max them as well. Just for the Ubers.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
The worst thing about them is constantly summoning and de-summoning to ensure you don't get cold skellies. Most of the time I don't even bother.