After all these years I want to play an assassin !

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
After all these years I want to play an assassin !

I'm playing the game for quite a long time now and even though I consider myself a veteran, I never played an assassin for longer than a few hours. After watching a few of the movies from that guy who completed normal mode with an untwinked assassin in 2 hours (see www.diabloii.net) I'm playing with the thought to start an assassin, I already read a few guides, but because of my complete lack of experience with assassin skills, I'm very unsure about what to do.

The character must be able to do this:

1. Pure PvM
2. Must be able to solo all of the game
3. No melee - which probably means it will become a trapper

I have these questions:

Q1: Which skills ?
Q2: Stats allocation ?
Q3: Which equipment ? I'm willing to spend a few Ist runes for it (ladder Europe)

Something like "Click this link" together with a short explanation would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

AjustinMyJonson

Diabloii.Net Member
Check the build guides for the Blade Fury Sin(Ninja i think). I know it sounds weird, but BF is an awesome skill. It pretty much has all the advantages of melee without any of the disadvantages. Crushing blow works, Open Wounds works, Venom works, isnt slowed by cold, plus it only requires one skill point. Skills look something like

1 Blade Fury
20 Venom
20 Cloak of Shadows

And then its pretty much up to you. If you want, you can be a hybrid BF/Trapper, BF/Martial Arts, or youre own version. There are a lot of good PvM sin builds out there, but this is one of my favorties.

AjustinMyJonson

Diabloii.Net Member
AjustinMyJonson said:
Check the build guides for the Blade Fury Sin(Ninja i think). I know it sounds weird, but BF is an awesome skill. It pretty much has all the advantages of melee without any of the disadvantages. Crushing blow works, Open Wounds works, Venom works, isnt slowed by cold, plus it only requires one skill point. Skills look something like

1 Blade Fury
20 Venom
20 Cloak of Shadows

And then its pretty much up to you. If you want, you can be a hybrid BF/Trapper, BF/Martial Arts, or youre own version. There are a lot of good PvM sin builds out there, but this is one of my favorties.
Sorry make that a FurySin, not Ninja

waflob

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi,
not a big assassin expert, but when I play them, I tend to go for trapper types.
In the early levels, you can melee as well as set traps. At level 12 you get wake of fire (wof) and charged bolt sentry (cbs). They are very similar - one shoots fire, the other lightning.

If you're happy going melee until then, save skill points and pump these two once you hit level 12, otherwise use points on fire blast, which itself is a cool skill and a synergy for wof.

General tactic is to place a few traps around a group of monsters and watch them cook. Use cbs for fire immunes and melee those that get through to you. If too many get through, run back a bit and repeat (the good old 'divide and conquer' routine). Does get mana intensive, and can be fatal if you run out of blue pots at the wrong time.

At lvl 18, you get shadow warrior, which effectively doubles your killing power.

Also, when you rescue Anya, you can shop her for +3 traps claws, which will help a lot. Try and get two of those :)

The good side to this type of build is that you have 2 good elemental attacks and physical, if required. They're also fun to play, so enjoy

DelBoy

Naliworld

Diabloii.Net Member
If you're looking for a PvM Trapper guide, it's hard to do better than Jrichard's. Though it doesn't elaborate on Fire trappers, a Fire trapper isn't something I would recommend to someone new with Assassins, as you need to be used to effective placement of Traps(given that all Fire traps except FB are generally less effective than their Lightning counterparts, and thus are less forgiving).

EDIT: If you've already read the guide you can point out parts you need clarification or elaboration on and we'll try to help you out....

EDIT2: Link to the fifth page seems broken: here's the correct link: http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=513&page=5

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Sorry for replying so late, but since the forums are available again, I haven't had much time so far. At this point, thanks for the replies, I will write more about the whole later.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Naliwood, yes, I partly read that guide. If I will start an assassin, I will go for a LS/CBS/FB build, I guess. It should be enough not to max to DS, but to invest into the other traps, so I have CBS for the big crowds, LS for the small ones and FB as a backup for the lightning immunes I'm a little uncertain if that assassin will be good enough to solo in hell mode. I like to play alone and the FB damage looks a little weak. However, all this is just theory, of course, as I have absolutely no experience with traps.

BTW, is the shadow master clever enough to use the right attacks versus immues or is she just as stupid as act 3 mercs who happily throw their spells against immunes ?

Perhaps I should simply start a low-budget assassin, leaving out things like Sojs, skillers etc. for the moment. In nightmare I will make my experiences with immues, I guess.

Naliworld

Diabloii.Net Member
FB gets synergies from pretty much every other Trap, so when maxed with a few +skills, it's damage stacks up quite well. It does have trouble with large LI groups, but that's what CoS is for. However, your only attack against LI/FI bosses will be your Merc's physical damage.

Don't count on your SM to do much real damage. Her main skill of choice is MB(and the stunning effect of MB works on everyone), which is both useful(saves you the mana, helps in emergencies) and annoying(converts monster about to die, preventing you from killing them until it wears off). She still attacks in melee sometimes, maybe charges an orb or two, and uses Dragon Flight, but the damage dealt with these attacks is not worth counting.

You said you'd leave CBS for the large crowds and LS for the small ones. IME though, LS is better for larger groups due to the piercing(unless the group is spread too far apart), and CBS for smaller ones (especially bosses), as it has a larger potential damage than LS assuming all bolts hit(which can be achieved). Of course, YMMV. In any case, if you plan to use CBS regularly, be sure to get SWeb to at least lvl 18, for the extra CBS bolts; otherwise CBS isn't worth the trouble.

Aerath

Diabloii.Net Member
SM is mostly useful as an added tank.

It's arguably the smartest minion in the game, and with a decent Skill Level she'll do quite well.

Anytime a monster doesn't hit you but hits a minion it that better a chance to survive.

BIGeyedBUG

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
BTW, is the shadow master clever enough to use the right attacks versus immues or is she just as stupid as act 3 mercs who happily throw their spells against immunes ?
She's just as stupid, but much better looking. :D

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
BIGeyedBUG said:
She's just as stupid, but much better looking. :D
That outweighs a lot of her stupidity, I admit :lol: I guess she her stupidity isn't that apparent because she has a broader selections of skills to (randomly ?) select from. I just ask myself if she would avoid using lightning spells against LIs etc. Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to find it out.

Thanks for all the replies :thumbsup:

BIGeyedBUG

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
I just ask myself if she would avoid using lightning spells against LIs etc.
The answer to that is defintely "no". Shadow Warriors on the other hand...but that's a whole 'nother topic.