Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

After a 3 year hiatus I'm re-booting SP again, should I feel bad grabbing my old D2S

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gabber_Roid, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Gabber_Roid

Gabber_Roid Diabloii.Net Member

After a 3 year hiatus I'm re-booting SP again, should I feel bad grabbing my old D2S

So here's my old thread from 2007 where I was in love w/ SP again :) http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525859

Anyhoo, I re-booted D2 up again a couple weeks ago and I already have a 40ish Meteorb again from scratch untwinked.

I made the mistake of looking at my old D2S files back from 2007, level 80 Sorc with some premo equipment along with a bunch of other mules, barb, and pally. I also made the mistake of playing my old 80 Sorc... soooo much faster.

So here's my conundrum.

Should I stick with my 2010 builds and just slug it away untwinked. :scratchchin:
    I'll get the 'experience' of finding all the elite equipment again, and slowly makin my way to Hell

Or

What would be the harm in ATMA'ing some of the good equipment, or heck, even ditching my 40 sorc and just picking right back up my 80 sorc? :whistling:
    I'll 'cheat' and be lazy, fast forwarding my play time. But also saving some grind time.

Decisions, decisions. What's your take on the subject of a re-boot and going twinked vs untwinked. Starting @ ground zero vs picking up where you left off.

2. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard Diabloii.Net Member

Re: After a 3 year hiatus I'm re-booting SP again, should I feel bad grabbing my old

I personally think you'll have more fun if you start fresh. I restart about once a year anyway.

3. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Re: After a 3 year hiatus I'm re-booting SP again, should I feel bad grabbing my old

Start fresh, but keep those files. If some nice item seems to elude you, just pluck it off the old files.

Or, just stick all the old characters in with the new once you get a few new characters up to 80+. That way, you get the fun/challenge of new characters, but you still get those items.

4. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

I just restarted after about 3 years off, and I wish I had my old character files. I didn't really have a priemo stash or stable but I had some projects I wish I could get back to.

But I would just do whatever is more fun. Though I think keeping your restart character "clean" for a while would make it more enjoyable from my perspective. I never really liked twinking. There's something more fun about being excited when an item that helps your character drops. Just doesn't happen if you're already loaded.

5. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

Hmmm... well, it really all boils down to what you will find most enjoyable, but I'll add one more option to the list - just bring forward early game twinking gear to help with the most tedious part of the game. That way, you still get the thrill of finding mid- or late-game weapons/armors/bling, but you don't have to struggle that much through the early levels.

Just a thought fwiw.

6. Gabber_Roid

Yeah, that ~20-30 level takes forever to grind thru untwinked as a sorc.

7. Gabber_Roid

Welp, I did a little of both:

1) I gave a full Sigon to my 17 Barbarian
    2) Deleted my high level sorc from 2007 so I could have fun with my lower level sorc w/o temptation.
    3) Kept a couple mules, but weeded out a lot of crap from them.

8. Grisu

Grisu Diabloii.Net Member

I don't think I remember you...:scratchchin: Anyhow, welcome back on board!
    Not necessarily - that's where 1.13 comes in handy: build up early-level skills (Fire Bolt or CB or Frost Nova...) and then just respec once you hit 30. Should work just fine!

And yes, I'd recommend a restart - I really liked it when I restarted, although I haven't done it in 3 years. But I mostly play untwinked tourney characters anymore, because right now it's more fun for me.

But keep your old stuff - I still do the occasional MF run trying to complete my grail.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do!