Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Afford FO with a pure Blizzard?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Kyo, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

Afford FO with a pure Blizzard?

Hi

I think i might know the answer already but was hoping someone could tell me otherwise if it not right.

Basically was wondering in a pure blizz build. Could i get away with spending one point in FO as i got some fairely half decent eq to bump it up quite a bit.

With Blizz and all synergies and basic 1 pointers. Would be less that (110 sp) I would still have points left over anyway so by put only 1 in FO shouldn't be that big of a deal right ? :scratch:

Kyo

2. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

With all +skill quests assuming you intend on maxing all synergies and cold mastery you'll have 3 skill points to work with. That's assuming you get to level 96-99. I wouldn't bother with it as it doesn't seem to have any practical uses as it's damage will be too low even with dencent equipment.

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

they share a common synergy, ice bolt. so, you will lose one of the blizz synergies and have 20 FO (1 is too low for damage) fully synergized.

what does it mean to lose a synergy? each synergy of blizz gives 100% added damage. this comes out to roughly 40 damage per point, so 800 per 20 points in a synergy.

resistance makes it interesting. meph is at 75% cold resist, so it actually gives 200 rather than 800. cold mastery at 20 is around 130 (lets say 100 to make the math easier) so meph goes down to -25%. so the damage actually done is 1000 (800X 1.25) or 500% more (than with 75% resist.)

fully synergized, blizz gets 300% ed. with cold mastery, that means it is actually getting 1500%. without 1 synergy, it drops to 1000% ed. still respectable, but that means you are killing 33% slower than you should. not much difference with meph running, as this means it will take you 3 shots to kill him rather than 2, or 6 instead of 4.

However, having that synergized frozen orb does the opposite. and, that is what i should have done in the first place. this would have allowed me to have 20 points to play with in another tree.

4. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

i am not going to syngergise FO.

Planning to MAx blizz and all synergies plus having a few 1 pointers like teleport, static and warmth. Therefore i think i could afford just puting a single point into FO as i got some eq that will bump it quite a bit :)

5. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

When you use frozen orb it's not pure blizzard anymore :bonk:

Anyway, i say no, i don't see what orb can do if you have a fully synergized blizzard too.

6. Superhal

why not? they share a synergy so you kill two birds with one stone.

7. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

I suppose you u got a point but if i theortically max out blizz and all syngergies (101 SP) i got a few points to spare so should be ok forking that one point as i got all the 1 point wonders covered.

However a bit hesistant but i know it only 1 so hmmm :scratch:

8. Superhal

so you are going max bliz with 1 pt FO? in that case, i guess it would work if you could get the slvl of FO up to a sizable number of shards, but situationally, i don't think there would be many cases where you would use a pumped-to-20 FO vs a pumped-to-40 blizz.

9. MercenaryKnight

MercenaryKnight Banned

If your doing meph runs do not put a point into static I remade mine because blizzard owned faster and safer then static plus just use moat trick and he will go down in 3-4 blizzs anyway.

10. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

Well not using FO as a main killing skill but a finish off sweep of the screen as it still fairely good against weaker mobs with lesser hps. Espeically them little teleport buggers in act 5. Despite it calling a pure blizz build i am still sticking with blizz and all synergies and i have already maxed out CM (as my 2nd skill maxed) and just working on synergies now. GS is ok i suppose but FO just totally owns as times

Thanks for the input anyway

Kyo

11. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Hmm, dotn Blizzard and Frozen Orb share the same timer?
    It would be akward trying to use both together then :/

1 point wont hurt if you have it spare, so i guess you could do that if it suits your playstyle ;)

12. IMCL85

IMCL85 IncGamers Member

yea the left over point is arround 4 I think. You forgot about wramth/ice armor(what ever you pick/teleport and static feild.