Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Affix levels for wands

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by jiansonz, Mar 21, 2005.

1. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Affix levels for wands

Do wands work like circlets and staves when it comes to determining the affix levels? I mean, simply take the highest of ilvl and qlvl, add 1 (if they work like a staff) and then compare with the affix levels listed at d2data.net?

I just want to clarify, since this has an impact on what my SPF Survival Tourney barbarian will do with his (chipped, mostly) gems. Say what?

OK, here´s why: I have a barb that is determined to go as far as possible in the game dual wielding wands against almost all enemies (don´t ask!). Now that I am in act 2, only Bone/Tomb/Lich Wands will probably be used because they are much faster than all the other types (and wands can´t spawn with IAS suffixes).

If the first paragraph in this post holds true, am I correct in assuming that:

* Since the recipe sets the item level to 25, I can reroll wands with chippies as soon as I have the Horadric Cube, and have a chance to roll Fiery/Static (alvl=25) wands, before they are available in shops?

* I can reroll a Lich Wand (qlvl 75) with any of the chipped/regular/flawless gem recipes and have a chance to get up to the Shocking prefix (alvl 76) but not Condensing (alvl 77)?

* How does crafting work? Am I correct that the outcoming ilvl is dependant on the incoming ilvl and the clvl, but the resulting alvl is still determined by taking the highest of ilvl and qlvl, then add 1. In other words, any crafted Lich Wand will have a chance to get Shocking, and a crafted Tomb Wand (qlvl 43) could get Buzzing (alvl 46) if I buy it from NM Drognan at character level 43?

2. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

All your questions can be answered by paying a visit to the Affixcalc.

1. Only with Wands, as they have a Qlvl of 1. The others will have a lower max Alvl.

2. Normal and Exceptional wands have a magic_lvl of 1, but elite wands do not. So a Lich Wand doesn't have a minimum Alvl of 76... The answer is no.
    The lowest max Alvl a Lich Wand can have is 51, that is, if the Ilvl is lower than 75 (such as the gems+weapon recipes)

3. Correct on the Tomb Wand Alvl.

3. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

On the apparently random occasions when it is up, anyway :)

Any wand will be able to spawn up to alvl 26 affixes with the chip recipe. Qlvl will only matter here if it is above 25, and then will only increase the max alvl. Elite wands will have max alvl as you describe (2*qlvl - 99).

4. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

I've only noticed it being down once. :confused:

Meh. I forgot magic_lvl. :)

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Maybe it's because it's hosted in Europe somewhere? I reckon I load it successfully at most 1/3 tries, and it is often slow beyond usability. Maybe it's a problem at my end too.
    It's an awesome site though, don't get me wrong.

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Problably a bad route to that server. It's very likely to reside in Sweden, although the domain is from Niue (near New Zealand).

7. jiansonz

Thanks a bunch, guys. I now have thought out the master plan on what to aim for at the different parts of the game. When to shop for what, when to spend chippies, crafting materials, socket rewards and imbues.

The affix calculator is really nice once you get the hang of it. I seem to have a very good connection to that server. I´m in Sweden. I think we have some sort of direct line to Niue, because that is a very popular domain here. It´s a bit flashy. In english, it would be ".now"

So the elite wands are not like the other wands when it comes to determining alvls, they behave like "regular" weapons. Does that make any sense at all?

Also, does it make any sense that the best resist prefixes on wands (Amber/Ruby/Sapphire) are as low as alvl 25, when there are two categories of prefixes that give less resistance but have significantly higher alvls? Methinks they have been mixed up by the programmers. Kind of like the demon type creatures in act 4: in the first two areas you get Venom Lords but if there is a boss pack of them, they are actual Balrogs (which don´t appear there as regular critters). In the City and on the River you have Pit Lords, a weaker version, then finally Venom Lords again in the Chaos Sanctuary.

8. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

That is probably just a typo-type omission. Annoying though.

Hadn't noticed that before, good pick up :) That is a bit strange. That set of prefixes is actually part of the armour and jewelery resistance prefix set - they get res at much lower levels - and they have just added on rod weapons to get them too for no apparent reason.

Boss packs are generated entirely separately then the other creatures on the level. In the vast majority of cases the boss packs are picked from an identical list to the regular monsters, but it does not have to be. In "easier" areas they sometimes choose boss packs to be easier monsters than the regular ones, because of course minion monsters get bonuses which make them harder. I think that is not too outside the realms of intentional.

9. jiansonz

I understand and agree on the boss pack part, but I still believe it´s a mistake that you get a wussier monster subtype (of the same base monster type) in the 3rd and 4th area of the act than in the first two areas. I think the intention was to have Balrogs in the first two areas, also as regular monsters.