Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Affirmative Action: Had Enough Yet?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nnndave, Feb 16, 2004.

1. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Affirmative Action: Had Enough Yet?

Scholarships

Bakesale

Which better way to promote equality? Parodize the liberal's failed attempts at equality!

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Wow. Dave and I completely agree on something. Creepy.

3. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I . . .

Dear lord, strike me down. I find myself agreeing with nnndave on something. At least, in the general sense anyways. Oi :p

4. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

If you have a black-sounding name, you are 50% less likely to receive callbacks on sent resumes than if you have a white-sounding name. That's assuming all else is equal.

I can guarantee you that being black will cause you to be turned down for more jobs than being white, so stop trying to pretend you're somehow being oppressed. Those kids are just a bunch of whiners complaining that they don't have enough of an unfair advantage in the world.

It's no wonder this country is considering constitutionally-enforced bigotry.

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Must... disagree with dave... arghhh!! The sky is PURPLE!! IT'S PURPLE!!!

Underseer: While that's true in certain areas of the U.S., a lot of more "politically correct" bodies have taken equality so far that it's not equal any more. For instance, I'm going into the RCMP in a few years. I have to work twice as hard to get in over someone who's not as qualified as I am because I'm a white male.

Every government job application I've ever taken has had questions pertaining as to whether I'm a minority or not specifically for the purposes of the selective hiring of minorities over non-minorities.

6. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Forgive my ignorance in this matter, but can you give me some examples of some "black-sounding" names?

7. Koko Puff

Koko Puff IncGamers Member

Tyrese.

Tania.

Tyra.

Tiara.

Kizzy

Etc.

8. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

Kareem
    Jameela
    etc...

But in order to find your TRUE African name, be sure to visit Louis Farrakhan's African Name Generator...

...my name is Buckwheat.

The reason I agree with nnndave here is because he managed to provide some good links with little stumbling over words in his title and editorializing. More threads like this would be nice, rather than taking a small example and generalizing it to the whole...

9. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

I will be now known as Shaft!

Dj_Otaku

10. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

I'm of the opinion that if private organizations want to offer financial benefits based on factors such as skin colour, it's fine. When it comes to the government or government-sponsored institutions however, "colourblindness" ought to be a necessity. In the case of socioeconomic classes, I feel that discrimation for financial aid to an extent is acceptable (it can be likened to programs such as progressive taxation and whatnot).

11. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

What were the black people complaining about? They were getting cookies for 1/2 off!

Can you offer any proof of your claims? More than your personel guarantee that is.

12. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

You mean rich white kids are upset black people are trying to balance out the system? Stop the presses!

This would make sense, if you already assumed everyone was equal. If people weren't discriminated against, you wouldn't need AA (or bakesales) Someone else said it better

"Those kids are just a bunch of whiners complaining that they don't have enough of an unfair advantage in the world."

13. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Malcolm J...heh

I am actually amused to see the white scholarship...as i apply to colleges, there are TONS of scholarships for minority groups (Which are not a real minority where i live...33% white, 33% black, 33% hispanic)...i mean, Hell, they even have a scholarship for vegetarians...nothing saying white only and few not pertaining to race

14. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

:scratch: I was thinking last names for some odd reason. Ok, point taken, even tho it's sad.

15. zoey

zoey IncGamers Member

As a minority, affirmative action is more insulting to me than any racial slur is. Instead of some Klan kiddie calling me the latest racist name for an asian, i get to know that everyone assumes i got into my college, or my job not because i am ABLE TO....but because my skin isn't white.

Anyone who would accept that, has no respect for themselves.

16. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

No, I mean white people and black people do NOT have the same opportunities when students are given scholarships or people given jobs because of thier race. This is to see that that doesn't happen. Why should anyone have an advantage? How are black people balancing the system by UNBALANCING the advantages?

Please explain to me how those kids are whining about thier own situations, because I don't see anyone whining, (unless you count black people... who are getting the winning end).

17. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

Here is an example of aff action in the wrong...

My father does some hiring at ExxonMobil. He is given a list of how many white, blacks, females, and so on that he HAS to hire. So if for some reason not a single black person fills out an application then the job must stay open until one comes along. The abilities of the other applicants do not matter.

Underseer here is an example where having a "white name" hurts your job potential.

Sorry I don't have a link for proof, this information comes from word of mouth. If you don't accept it as true fine, but I would rather debate the fairness of the situation rather than the truthfulness...

18. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Shocking, that's the point of AA

Because the system isn't balanced to begin with

Everyone sure cried foul when they shut them down. "It's not about race, it's about social class.... which is why blacks got it cheaper"

That's funny, because racism is good and gone right?

19. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

lol?

From this site:
    [​IMG]

Cry me a river for being less far on top.

20. zoey

zoey IncGamers Member

Oh well it's a good thing you've decided to refer to an objective source for your quotes.