Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice: what base for 'Silence'?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Jason Maher, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

Advice: what base for 'Silence'?

I've just noticed that I have the runes to make 'Silence'. I've always liked the look of this runeword, seems well-rounded (and obtainable) without being overpowered and imbalancing. So my question is: what do I make it in? A quick 1-hander? A 2-handed hurty stick? A bow?

2. Juicy Cheese

Juicy Cheese IncGamers Member

Re: Advice: what base for 'Silence'?

Well, I made mine in a bow because of the safety mods it carries with it, 25% HCMtF, Blinds Target, as well as 75% all resist. On that note, resistances on melee characters are usually less of an issue then for a ranged character, since you can easily pick up resists on a shield. For hardcore players, I would chose Silence over most other bows, certainly for questing, but maybe not for specially running an area, say The Pit.

I think it mostly depends on what you plan to use it for. With mine, it was my goal to make a sept with it, utilising seven quirky builds, if my level 70 bow barb using grim ward didn't disappear somewhere on my old hard drive, I'd probably be a ways through it by now. If you prefer melee builds, then I'd suggest melee, however I don't think the mods favour a melee character as much as a ranged. I also intend on using it on an Act 1 merc, so I'm looking to maximise it's usage.

If you're playing in 1.13, then I shouldn't worry too much, since the runes aren't that rare to come by anymore. I recently found a Vex in questing multiplayer, so you may even find the first character pays for itself. For reference, I stuck mine in a Crusader Bow, mostly because I'm impatient and it was available, also, the inspiration for making the bow came from Jaedhann, who stuck his in a Crusader Bow IIRC. Here's the readout if you want to get an idea of damage:

Code:
    Silence
    Crusader Bow
    'DolEldHelIstTirVex'
    Two-Hand Damage: 45 to 189
    Required Dexterity: 97
    Required Strength: 78
    Required Level: 57
    Bow Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0x4ee934ec
    +200% Enhanced Damage
    All Resistances +75
    11% Mana stolen per hit
    30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    Requirements -20%
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
    Hit Blinds Target +33
    75% Damage to Undead
    +50 to Attack Rating against Undead
    +2 to All Skill Levels
    +2 to Mana After Each Kill
    Socketed (6: 6 used)

3. Jason Maher

Well I do have a natural bias toward bows (am currently making an 'Ice' sept), so that would be my first instinct. The 75% Res All on a bow certainly would make it a very tempting option. I do have two Vex runes, but only one Ist, so I can't do "one of each" quite yet. Your point about it being a useful Act 1 merc weapon is something I hadn't considered.

The one thing I'm wondering is whether the 200% ED (+75% to undead) is a bit low for it to be that viable as a melee option?

4. Juicy Cheese

Juicy Cheese IncGamers Member

Well, I think that depends on if you've tried Windforce or not :p. I first used it on my Strafer who uses Windforce and was unimpressed, however that was always going to be my reaction I think, nothing quite matches 500 max damage on a bow. The damage depends on what players setting you like to run at, how much patience you have and whether you think the extra mods are a good enough sacrifice. Personally I'd say, especially for Hardcore, that Silence is worth it and I think you'll find the damage is good enough. I only have a slightly warped view because I've been used to the power of Windforce for so long.

5. Jason Maher

Oh, I've tried Windforce.

6. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I think it has niche use only. Decide what build you want to make with it, and the base weapon will become clear.

The +2 Skills and 75% RA makes it nice for two handed elemental builds - Tesladins, Frost Zealots, Spearazons and the like. For physical damage builds there are much better options.

7. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

I made it in a +3 skills matriarchal spear. I really loved that mat - pure lightning, exclusively using Charged Strike and Lightning Strike. Very effective and lots of fun.

8. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Both "blind target" and "causes monster to flee" annoy me with melee. They work ok on summoning builds, so I'd probably put it on a bow and play it with a hunter druid. There are certainly other options, but I hate having something I'm pounding on run away. Blind target overwrites curses... a huge drawback. Given a choice of curses, blind target isn't so bad, but often times you need a Amp Damage or Decrep to break the physical immunity.

9. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

a medusa zon would work so go with a bow. pack slow, ow and you're set