Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice on Shockbear build

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PapaBearNZ, Mar 30, 2005.

1. PapaBearNZ

PapaBearNZ IncGamers Member

Advice on Shockbear build

This is the first time I've tried to design a character rather than use a guide.

So far I am thinking of the following:

Max Lycanthropy
    Max Werebear
    Max Shockwave
    Max Armageddon

Maul 1+
    HOW 1+
    Carrion Vine 1+

pre-req's 12.

95 skill points. I'm not sure when that means it will complete :(

Does this seem reasonable (I'll be playing him untwinked due to my serious lack of stash!)?

Any advice would be welcomed.

PB

2. Ryoko-Shimo

Ryoko-Shimo Banned

Me my self think that shockwave is bad :) , but i have neverd tried so i cant say so much. But i would recomend a fireclaw build.

Max lycantrops
    Max Fireclaw
    Max wearbear
    and the rest on that life oak and elemental skills ;)

3. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Just my thoughts,

if you're using shockwave basically to keep monsters stunned, is it necessary to max it? IIRC, people just use 10-16 pts for it in hell.

Carrion vine doesn't get much better with further pts into it. 1pt should suffice.

Maybe a balance of lyc/WB and maul/HoW. Basically a balance between life and damage.

4. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Damage of armageddon seems very low to me without synergies.
    But I have smothing like this in my mind:
    1-5 shockwave, 1-5 lycanthropy, 5 werebear, 1maul
    20 armageddon, 20Volcano, 20 Molten boulder, 20 Fissure.
    In situations against dangerous bosses, where the shockwave is useless, I would reshift to human form and cast a Volcano.
    This requires twinking shapeshifting and elemental skills.

This is my own design too. I would like to know if you guys think that this could work.

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I agree with Sunbearie don't max Shockwave...maybe just shoot for lvl 10 and don't put further points in Carrion Vine, not worth it at all...

I also wouldn't put points in Armageddon, without synergies it's not going to do much else than look pretty...okay that's not true but the damage is going to be lacking, and I think points would be better spent in Maul/HOW to increase your physical damage & life leech:). Maybe later on you can get a weapon with big elemental damage on switch (Baranar's Star). Also definitely get a Grizzly bear...Even with only 1 point this guy is a sweet tank that can take a lot of heat...it's only 3 points...Especially if you're going untwinked.

Also when playing untwinked you'll struggle until you find a good fast weapon, and AR is probably also going to be a problem...just a warning.

95 skill points is okay...you get 12 quest bonus skill points along the way so you'll be finished at 84..not too difficult to reach... The characters I've taken through Hell all ended up 80-81...Actually only 2 but still seems reasonable.

Shockbear=cool name & build....Bush should have had one of these when he invaded Iraq:)

6. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Instead of the "shock and awe" :D . Hmmm whatever happened to that tactic? :rant:

7. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

I have no experience with a werebear at all so my posting will be a bit vague in giving information. But I think you can't be wrong if you do the thinking this way.

You will have to decide how you are going to kill the stunned monsters. There are several possibilities and some have been mentioned already. - use of melee/elemental damage (fireclaws was mentioned), use of elemental attacks (armageddon,...) and even the use of summons would be possible.

depending on 2 sources of damage (here physical and fire) is viable and your merc can add a third one to this (e.g. lightning iron wolf)

I think, the neverending switch between wereform and human form would be annoying to me if I decided to use an elemental spell as main killer. I'd rather go with a shapeshifting melee main killer. But that's just me.

sorry for no straight information but planning a build is often vague, at least if you are not mr. d2-infocenter. ;)

@hrus: if I understand that right, you want to use melee as your main killer and switch to human form and armageddon occasionally. - If I got that right you put 80 points in the elemental tree for occasional killing. isn't this ratio too high?
    In AQT III I play a hybrid summoner/fire druid and use volcano (physical and fire dmg split equally without fire synergies) as my main killer. as I needed skillpoints in the summoning tree, I will only max fissure and molten boulder as synergies and this guy will be able to finish the game according to AE's guide about this build. compare my 60 points for a main killer to your 80 for a secondary attack...
    If you plan on using the elemental tree as your primary attack, then I misunderstood you. forget about the above lines in this case. ;)

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

@isi: you missed the point that Armageddon is castable in wereform in 1.10.

9. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

OK this changes my view and I think this could work. ALthough I must admit, I'd rather rely on summons than on shockwave ;)

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well the shock part didnt go too well when they took months trying to declare war and saddams followers had time to prepare, and awe? i think that went out the window as soon as they put 1 foot into iraq lol.
    Anyway, on topic: Shockwave would be great if its area of stun was wider. It seems to central for me. its still very easy to get swamped and keeping multiple groups stunned will be hard if there on opposite sides.
    And armageddon looks to weak with no synergies. actually, ti doesnt look to strong with synergies either..

11. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

You can choose how widely spread out your shockwave is...sort of like when using Multishot on an amazon.

I'm certainly no general or anything, but seems like the Shock and Awe tactic worked just fine...it's the situation after the war that's been difficult to handle...probably gonna need a whole lot of Holy Freeze mercenaries for crowd control:)

12. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

I have built a character similar to this. Here are my thoughts.

Max Bear, Maul, HoW and Lyc, and get Shockwave to slvl 5 or so, as stun length is not reduced by difficulty.

You will have problems with PI's, unless you are lucky and pick up some items with phat elemental damage.

I know you're going untwinked, but that doesn't mean you can't think about your gear.

I recommend you NF's Zerker and CS/Trapper guides. They are excellent for teaching you how to play untwinked, and where to go to furbish your character.

I wish you luck. Going untwinked is hard.

crg

13. PapaBearNZ

Hmm - it seems that the idea of Armageddon ShockBear is going to be difficult without appropriate equipment (namely a lot of +skills stuff which I won't have)

I am thinking that an untwinked Armageddon shockbear would only be possible without maxing anything - vis:

10 lycanthropy
    10 Werebear
    10 HOW
    10 Maul
    5 Shockwave

10 Volcano
    10 Fissure
    10 Molten Boulder
    10 Armageddon

1 Carrion vine

9 Pre-reqs

95 but will it even hit anything in hell?

The alternative I think is a pure ShockBear:

20 lycanthropy
    20 Werebear
    20 HOW
    20 Maul
    10 Shockwave

1 Carrion vine

1 Grizzly

4 pre-reqs

94 points. And with suitable choice of Merc (perhaps a rogue or an Iron Wolf)

Hmm - more thinking methinks :)

PB

14. PapaBearNZ

I thought Stun length was halved in NM and 1/4 in Hell? The druid details from DII.net suggest this. Shockwave Description

Thanks for the other tips. I never thought about reading the unrelated guides for play tips - doh!

PB

15. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

You may not like what I'm going to write here...

You could allways take a look at the stone runeword armor. You will have a hard time collecting the runes, but when you do you have alot of versatility (sp?). It will give a nice boost to your fireclaws and (really) a nice jump in your defence..
    20 Firestorm
    20 Fireclaws
    20 Bear
    10+ Lycantrophy
    10+ Oak sage
    Rest in shockwave and prereq's.

You'll have extremely high defence, decent life and quite nice damage and stun. You can have a 4fpa attack too :)

''Mil & Sam''

16. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Check out when that was updated. Although the AS doesn't say anything on it, stun length, like that of MB, Shock Wave and War Cry is not reduced as difficulities increase.
    This is why a zerker is so powerful. The barb's most deadly attack can be used when nothing is moving.

crg

17. PapaBearNZ

Hmmm- that's got me thinking. I've got Shaels in the stash. I think I'll have to change my mind about the untwinked idea and let my meteorb sorc do some kurast and countess runs to try to find the rest.

Thank's for the info!

PB

18. PapaBearNZ

Ahhh - ok. I stand corrected :) I should learn to trust the forumites in these matters *grin*

PB

19. crazy_bear

crazy_bear IncGamers Member

Before you write off the Shock/Geddon build as equipment dependent, remember that Mordalles took one to guardian untwinked, and I took one with no vit and no shield, untwinked, as far as hell ancients.

I can also confirm from experience that stun length is not decreased at higher difficulty levels.

My build and Mordalles were very similar with some variations it skill distribution, but not too much:

My skill pts
    Werebear 1
    Lycanthropy 4
    Shockwave 10
    Shape Shifting Pre-reqs 2
    Dire Wolf 5
    Grizzly 1
    Oak Sage 1
    Carrion Vine 1
    Summoning Pre-reqs 3
    Moulten Boulder 20
    Volcano 20
    Armageddon 20
    elemental pre-reqs 7
    Total Skill points: 95 (finished at lvl 84)

IIRC Mordalles went with a couple less in Dire wolf and Shockwave, and more in Oak sage and Lycanthropy.

Very much a solid survivable build, armageddon is great, and volcano is also very good vs fire immunes with the bear as a tank to keep stuff in place.

Good luck on whatever you choose.