Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice on my Meteorber

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Puresummon, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Puresummon

Puresummon IncGamers Member

Advice on my Meteorber

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what to look/trade for first to start adding the most help for my MF Meteorber. This is really my first character since I got my new laptop and restarted. I don't have a whole lot to trade, so I am going to do this on the cheap (45 Pgems or so). I am not trying to make this a trade thread, but more asking for advice on what to go after. I am currently using: (Sorry I don't know how to do item reports on GoMule, and I am on a Mac)

"Spirit" Superior Crystal Sword +28%FCR
    Skullders Ire
    Visceraunt
    Chance Guards
    Sigons Helm
    Goldwrap
    Sigon's Boots
    Fortuitous Ring of Chance (+22% MF)
    Great Wyrm's Amulet of Luck (+90 mana, +35% MF)
    Rare ring with +90 mana and some resists, leach

My merc Act II NM is wearing a Rockstopper, Haemosu's Adament, and Soulfeast Tine.

Currently I am Level 63 and running NM Meph.

Thanks for your help.

2. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Re: Advice on my Meteorber

First thing I'd go after is a Shako. No idea on trade values but 45PGs should be more than enough.

Then I'd probably look to upgrade some merc gear.

Maybe a Hone Sudan, Shaftstop and a Guillames Face or Tals Mask (that's Lvl65 though I think).

Don't know if 45Pgs will stretch that far but it's a start.

3. Skinnyy

Skinnyy IncGamers Member

I would shoot for a better helm too. Probably shako like dodgydave said. Since you're just starting, I'm assuming you're probably going to be going after Hell meph for a while, so I would try to get set up for him. A kelpie snare for the merc would probably be the best thing to get to help run meph.

A few hundred meph runs (with 30-45 second runs on a good map) will fill your stashes in a hurry.

4. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Another thing you could do is make the runeword 'Rhyme'. Lots of useful mods at the cost of a Shael rune. GG.

EDIT: When choosing gear for your merc, remember that you can't leech off of NM/Hell Mephisto (I think).

5. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

That's actually some pretty decent gear for starting out. And I think you're definitely on the right path by running NM Mephisto. In general for a sorceress, you'll want stuff with:

• resists
    • +skills
    • +life
    • +strength (Since your best shields require 156 strength. Less hard points you have to put in strength means more points you can put in Vitality or dexterity, if going for max block
    • Percent Damage Reduced
    • Faster Hit Recovery
    • Mana, mana regen, or mana after each kill (although these are probably less important if your merc uses Insight
    • MF...but you know that already

Instead of listing all the preferred gear, I'll just direct you to this guide. You can find the equipment section about halfway down. Good mercenary gear is also given later on.

Two things the the writer of that guide does not mention are two runewords:
    A 'Spirit' shield (made in a monarch) is often preferred by many sorceresses for the FCR, resists, and +2 skills.

The other runeword is 'Insight' for your mercenary. Meteorbers usually don't need the Meditation aura as badly as other sorcs, but it won't hurt; especially when the rest of your gear doesn't offer +mana, regenerate mana, or mana after each kill.

I guess that just about covers it for now. Good luck!

Correct. The other thing to keep in mind for your merc is that mana leech or +mana is wasted, since mercs have no mana pool.

6. Zaliqai

Zaliqai IncGamers Member

The Oculus
    Swirling Crystal
    +3 To Sorceress Skill Levels
    +5 To Mana After Each Kill
    All Resistances +20
    25% Chance To Cast Level 1 Teleport When Struck
    +30% Faster Cast Rate
    +20 To Vitality
    +20 To Energy
    +20% Enhanced Defense
    50% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

It's not the perfect Sorc weapon but it's got +skills, resists, FCR and MF. It's also relatively easy to find and therefore relatively cheap. Someone with a surplus of them may sell it to you for 10-15 pgems. The CtC Teleport can be annoying but if you're running NM and Hell Meph correctly it should never be triggered.

7. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

I see that you linked to the 2nd edition of the guide. I used this one...the 3rd edition, updated by the same author (sasja). As stated by sasja, the 3rd edition is "a new shiny edition of the guide. I've corrected a few errors here and there and such - nothing major, but they just began to annoy me :)"

8. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

concerning Swiller's advice:

You want those defensive mods (resists, including %DR, life) on your merc, and the offensive ones (+skills, mana, MF) on your sorc. Kelpie is invaluable against Hell-Meph, once you move on.

Also, the only MF sorc gear which offers +str are Wartravs and good rare gloves.
    EDIT: And those +2 from Harley's, of course.

9. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I use a kelpie on a moron in preference to Insight or Reapers, even when Baaling.

10. Puresummon

Puresummon IncGamers Member

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I may hop on over to the trade forum and see what I can see.